khamarr3524
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Looking

First Bike - A Deal vs Patience

#1 Unread post by khamarr3524 »

So, I haven't started my class yet (I'll be taking my MSF course at the end of August, so about 2 months), but I've been looking (and saving) for my bike and all the things that come with it, gear insurance titling, licensing, etc. I found a bike that I feel would work great for me to start out on, an 07 Suzuki Boulevard 800, for $2,000.

Is buying a bike before I even go through class a bad idea or will I be regretting not picking up a bike that looks like the majority of the issues are just cosmetic. I haven't gone in and spoken to the dealer yet (it's not a private seller), but in all honesty it looks good *so far*. I guess I'm just trying to toss up whether or not it's a good bike for the price, or if I'm missing something and just need to wait.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: First Bike - A Deal vs Patience

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

The advice I usually give folks is, if you've never ridden a motorcycle before, wait until after your MSF course to pick the bike you want. The reason is, if you haven't ridden before, you probably don't have a good idea of how different styles of bike feel. Before my MSF course in 2005, I was dead sure that I wanted a cruiser. After 2 1/2 days on the range with cruiser style bikes, I realized a standard suited me better. I bought a Triumph Bonneville in July 2005, and kept it for nine years; which means it suited me really well! (My avatar pic shows that bike, even though I sold it in 2014).

Cruisers and standards (and sport bikes) handle differently, especially at slow speeds. Your MSF course will probably help provide some clarity on the style of motorcycle that allows you to be most comfortable. Your first bike is the bike you're going to learn on and develop your riding skills on. Your skills will develop best if you're comfortable with your bike (and not intimidated by it because it feels unnatural or hard to control.)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

diogosc
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2007/yamaha/bws

#3 Unread post by diogosc »

Hello
i'm somewhat in his position my classes with heavy bikes are about to start and i just sold my current "bike" a Yahaha BWS NG an i was wondering what my next bike should be
There are so many options but what's best for me is my question so i would like to know your opinions
I live in a small island with lots of twisty turns and also bumpy, the island also has a lot of ups and downs
So i'm looking for a somewhat agile new bike, the main use for the bike is from work and home during the days (10min drive) and on the weekends a drive around the island
I was thinking of an old Zephyr that a friend of mine is selling

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#4 Unread post by pchast »

I assume most rides are less than 50 miles then?
If I might offer an opinion from my limited experience.....

For that type of riding I'd stick with a lighter bike with a mid range engine.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

diogosc
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 2007/yamaha/bws

#5 Unread post by diogosc »

Yes most my rides will be 50 miles on the weekends
the Zephyr i'm looking at is a heavy bike
nay recomendations for a mid range bike?

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#6 Unread post by pchast »

What's available in your area's ads?
Have you taken the class yet.?
Try several for fit there.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L