Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha VX950(bolt)

Re: LA, behind bars

#22 Unread post by Jamers! »

Miles pre: 1093

6 whole months!? My goodness, where did the time go? I knew i wasent checking in here as often as i would like but this has been far to long. My apologies on the absence to any who were soo stricken with boredom to read this collection of musings. Chalk it up to moving into a new house, getting a girl friend and generally just not riding as much as i would like. So i am back, though with the el nino here who knows how much i can ride. Perhaps i can write more in that time.

Cheers to the new year folks, time to read what you have all been up to!

Miles YTD: 6.2
Miles Lifetime 2360
Insert something clever and showing an understanding of motorcycle culture here

ATGATT

Sev wrote:What's a bike?
JWF505 wrote:its like a goat, but with two wheels.
JWF

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#23 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I have been tossing around ice melter....yes...it is cold and frosty and we had some snow.

No riding here for a while.

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#24 Unread post by Jamers! »

Miles YTD: 6.2
Miles Lifetime 2354

Winter here in the State Battered by the El Nino to end all El Ninos trudges on. While there has been perhaps 10 rainy days there are still many 75 degree days that allow me to pull the scoot out and take her for a spin. Even if just to work. I added a sissy bar bag, this has made my red rambler much MUCH more practical. I can fit more in there than you might think. and strap on a knap snack with even more goodies! It makes it school practical ANNNND more important. I now could take a jaunt out to a camp site and have a bag to pack crapola in. Wooo

I have been trying to ride as much as i can. I really am getting quite comfortable. I still mind my Ps and Qs, checking my smog and riding very defensively. Though I can really enjoy it more than I used to when i was brand spanking new. Back then, only an empty road in the hills or canyons was pure joy. It was safe and i was able to relax a touch and actually enjoy it. Now though, even the 20 min commute on freeways is more fun.

In January i began the next and hopefully final journey on my healthcare education. Enrolling in a Paramedic to RN program. It has swallowed up a ton of my free time. 3 days of school and 3 days of work. My fun time riding is down to maybe one day a month. With that i am quite glad that even the rides from A to B are more fun now.

I have my first long ride planned for the end of March. With a week off between terms a few friends and myself are going to ride out and through death valley before it heats up and makes it unbearable. a ride of about 571 miles is what we are looking at. I am very excited to see how i fare on such a long haul. I have a seat pad and what not but still, thats a lot of time of me bum. Hope it goes well!! a big part of while i got a bike was for multi day camping style trips and long distance exploring rides off the beaten path. So lets hope i dont hate it!!!

The other day, the damndest thing happened. I was riding to my ladies house. I get to her building and im waiting on the down-sloping garage ramp for the gate to open. I start to roll forward. I push even harder on the rear brake and realize its shot, no tension in it at all. By some miracle i manage to grab the front brake and not stall all at the same time! When i got it parked i looked around, no signs of fluid leakage, the cable itself was still intact and attached. Wasent sure why it had gone. It is a brand new bike??!! this is the reallly odd part, the next morning and now 6 days later, it is working again. I feel like it is not quite as firm as it was before but it is working. That makes no sense to me. It is due for a 3k mileage tune up soon and i have the ultra warranty so i am going to have to take a good look at it. Can't have brakes failing this early!!

While i can change a tire and my own oil on a car. on 2 wheels i have no expeirence. With a 4 year maintances and warranty plan i have no incentive to find out how much of a wrench head i can be. Unless i buy some beat up project bike. but thats a story for when i have more money!

anyhow, i found this article and i must say. it is inspireing in both the ride and the restoration. Would love to do something similar one day!

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/cr ... 02/20/2016

Miles YTD Post: 299.2
Miles Lifetime: 2653

ATGATT

JWF

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#25 Unread post by Jamers! »

Miles YTD: 299.2
Miles Lifetime: 2653

My saddle time as of late has really fallen off. My schooling this term was 3 full days a week, leaving me with 3 full days at work and one day to kind of recover. With the rain coming down I can hardly even commute on the poor girl. None the less, i did find a clear morning lately to head up to the peak of a local mountain and enjoy an observatory. It was excellent. on all fronts. a weekday morning left the road empty for me, the early morning air brisk and clean and the peak was so picturesque. the ranger station had coffee out for anyone who makes it up that high (probably intended for the souls who hike up and earned it but i had some anyhow) and i took in some nice java and a nice view. A splendid way to start a day.

I have a week off of both work and school coming up. I am going to do a trail run long mileage ride. I have the route planned out and two of my co workers are coming with me. We will be cutting across death valley. By mid april it will be unrideable so i am glad we are getting it in now. It is a gorgeous place and offers what i think is some of my favorite riding, slow easy going sightseeing on a straight line. It will be about a 10 hour 500mile day. I have a seat pad i am going to try out, ill give my throttle rocker a go and see how my bike and myself take to this long distance day. it will be a good litmus test for the bigger trip i have scheming up in my noggin.

Miles YTD: 467
Miles Lifetime: 2821
Attachments
MountWilsonRoadsmall.jpg
MountWilsonRoadsmall.jpg (117.74 KiB) Viewed 20649 times
The Mount Wilson Observatory.
The Mount Wilson Observatory.
MtWilsonClouds.jpg (147.32 KiB) Viewed 20649 times

ATGATT

JWF

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#26 Unread post by jstark47 »

Jamers! wrote:The other day, the damndest thing happened. I was riding to my ladies house. I get to her building and im waiting on the down-sloping garage ramp for the gate to open. I start to roll forward. I push even harder on the rear brake and realize its shot, no tension in it at all. By some miracle i manage to grab the front brake and not stall all at the same time! When i got it parked i looked around, no signs of fluid leakage, the cable itself was still intact and attached. Wasent sure why it had gone. It is a brand new bike??!! this is the reallly odd part, the next morning and now 6 days later, it is working again. I feel like it is not quite as firm as it was before but it is working. That makes no sense to me. It is due for a 3k mileage tune up soon and i have the ultra warranty so i am going to have to take a good look at it. Can't have brakes failing this early!!
Did this get resolved?

Sounds like:
1. Brake fluid low (shouldn't be, but...)
2. Air in the brake line
3. Compromised master cylinder (again, shouldn't be on a bike that new, but...)

My wife's BMW had the rear master cylinder go bad at less than one year old. Defective part, things like that shouldn't happen but they do occasionally. Was replaced under warranty.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#27 Unread post by Jamers! »

jstark47 wrote: Did this get resolved?

I gotta say, I have dropped the ball just a bit here. I still haven't had it looked at. I am taking it in for its 4K maintenance next week after my desert ride. It hasent had a single hiccup since that night and while it should get checked out I have been a bit lazy in getting it to the shop.

yes yes yes, you dont mess around with safety I know.

One thing that I have noticed is that I am MUCH more aware of my right foot, how much i am pressing even when at rest and I find myself brake checking far far more often.

ATGATT

JWF

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#28 Unread post by Jamers! »

Miles YTD: 467
Miles Lifetime: 2821

Lots to write about tonight. Yesterday I went on my longest ride to date. 358.9 miles. It was awesome. Started early and took a ice cold instate though the valley to get to the desert. Ended up on a small two lane desert highway for 118 miles. It was a blast. Road was in good shape and for a mostly straight sightseeing road it has some fun points. Banked turns even! Some fun 'whoop d woos' of climbes and descents that were back to back like a roller coaster! It was so damn cold though. While spring may be here in theory it was in the 50s till about noon. I had chosen to wear a long sleeve thick shirt and my spring mesh/textile jacket. Thank goodness i had my windproof winter gloves on and had packed a scarf just in case. I ended up wrapping the scarf around my neck and tucking it into my shirt to keep it in place. At 75mph on a wide open highway at 0800 it was very chilly to me, who'd a thunk! Thank goodness I have a bit more meat than my riding partner. About 30 miles in we had to stop at the last big city on our route to find a walmart. She was in a tank top, a thermal sleevless thing and a demin fashion jacket with bascially dirt bike gloves on. She was turning blue. Several tacky wal-mart hunting fleeces later we were back at it.

The open road for hours at a time was pretty wonderful and a big relief that was for me. While scraping pegs (such a feat on my low cruiser i know!) in the canyons and crusing down sunset revving it up are a lot of fun. I really think touring and adventure riding it where I will find my niche in the two wheeled world. About the second time we stopped to top off my lil 3.2 Gallon tank i realized we had been riding for over 120 miles. I wasen't sore, I haden't gotten bored and I had a big smile on under my helmet. I was doing some riding and it was good. This was good. I am going to like this. All these thoughts kept me warm as we battled the high desert winds and the cold creeping through the too few layers I had on.

Arriving at our destination I got the first stamp in my National Parks Passport at Joshua Tree National Park and began my IBB journey. I honestly don't know if i can complete the goal of 50 parks in 25 states but i am going to try my damndest. I may end up renting a harley or borrowing some bikes in the mid west to knock some states out. I doubt i would have time to ride from Los angeles to the mid west and back. We shall see though!

The park was lovely. I haden't been since a child and i was thrilling to see it again. We stopped, hiked around and took in the beauty. After the park we had lunch at a local mom and pop cafe, something else i really enjoy about riding the back roads and old highways. All the places you get to try that you otherwise wouldn't.

near the end we were sipping out coffee and noticed the heavy grey clouds rolling in. We geared up and make west towards home. Caitlin on a larger and more modded bike with a few more years of experience took off at about 85 90 while i chugged along at 75 80. being on a bike that struggled to hold 90 and being way to broke to afford a speeding ticket were just a couple of reasons i held back. I out raced the storm for about 60% of my ride back. getting sprinkled on but keeping just ahead of it. With about 50 miles to go it hit me. Real rain, well real for california, began to come down. I pulled off, got under an Arco station and got some duel fuel while watching the clouds. Not seeing a let up coming after 20minutes and having dinner that evening with my girlfriend I made my choice. I had never ridden in the rain but I was going to have to do it to finish the biggest moto trip of my short career. I called my most experienced pal and asked for some tips. What he told me was bascially what i had read in proficient motorcycling which was very reassuring. Slow down, really slow down. Stay off the paint, stay off the metal, no herky jerky movements. I found one semi major issue. I only had my tinted visor. My clear visor was in my tail bag, and one of the candles from the park had ended up next it and smeared wax all across it. Try as i might i was unable to get much of it off. It was still light out though so i gambled just a bit and kept the tint on. Better to have protected dark vision than rain in my eyes i think.

I hit the highway and stayed in the slow lane the whole way. That was tough for me, as when i ride or drive i avoid this lane due to all its merging traffric and its slow speed. Luckily in the rain the traffic had built up and the snail pace offered by that lane was a benefit to me. Keeping my head up, my eyes on the road to avoid pitfalls and my speed wayyyy down i did just fine. While i may have had a couple pucker moments (one of them being when i flipped my ignition to off while reaching over to take my throttle rocker off, ahhh) mostly i didn't even get too scared. Going slow, giving myself lots of time to slow down or move, lots of time to avoid pain markers and man hole covers made riding in the rain no big deal. I was at highway speed, in a new rain storm. That silly old adage, 'you aren't a rider until you ride in the rain'; ha well i suppose i am a full fledged rider now! The thing that was toughest was my hands. My gloves are windproof. not water proof. The last 10 miles or so my hands were cold and frozen.

It was a great ride. I made it in one piece and so did the bike. I did lots of things on my bike that I had never done. I had a great day.

As i layed by the fireplace warming my bones I reflected on some things from the ride. First, i need to find a better way to pack. My tailbag sags when even the light load of my journal, extra gloves, visor, water bottle(s), first aid kit and power bars are loaded in it. It was covering my tail light and had to be swung around to sit on the fender instead. Not a huge deal now, but when i get another bag for longer trips, i will have to figure out how to prop/pull it up. Im sure some parachute cord jimmyfix will do. Throttle rocker is indeed the best thing a long distance rider can own. I have no idea how people can ride without it or a full on crusie control. Maybe i am just a weenie but after 30mins of riding without it my fingers get tingly and cramps are not far behind. With it, i can set the proper angle to hold myself at a good speed and totally spread my fingers and feel just fine. What a great tool. I need to double check weather conditions. I didn't expect it to be THAT cold in the morning didn't think to check for rain out at the destination. Assuming like a fool that the no rain at my home would hold true 150 miles away. Both are things that i need to be more disciplined on in the future.

All in all though, a damn amazing day and and a damn amazing ride.

Here is what my iphone could capture. It does no justice.

Trip: 358.9
Miles YTD: 532
Miles Lifetime: 3353
Attachments
JparksmallMe.jpg
JparksmallMe.jpg (138.25 KiB) Viewed 19226 times
Jparksmall.jpg
Jparksmall.jpg (140.75 KiB) Viewed 19226 times
Yamaha Bolt Harley Soft Tail
Yamaha Bolt Harley Soft Tail
JparkBothBikes.jpg (115.76 KiB) Viewed 19226 times
JparkBikesmall1.jpg
JparkBikesmall1.jpg (149.98 KiB) Viewed 19228 times

ATGATT

JWF

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#29 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
Real rain, well real for california,
hahahahahahahahaha

I couldn't help myself. I live in Vancouver...AKA Raincouver. :laughing:
A saying often heard here is....In Vancouver you don't tan...you rust. :lol:

Jamers!
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#30 Unread post by Jamers! »

I started a week long motorcycle trip. The route is Los Angeles to Seattle up the main interstate. Then spend the rest of the time cruising down the coast highway at an enjoyably slow pace with stops in Portland, Fort Bragg, San Fran and Santa Barbra.

Thursday 6/2:

packed and ready
packed and ready
I slept terribly the night before my trip started. Maybe just a few hours. When the alarm clock went off at 4am I couldn't bring myself to get out of the bed. I rolled over and tried to rest another couple hours not wanting to ride tired. When i finally did get up, i installed my new windscreen and did a final check of the bike. Ropes on right, air pressure up, fluids good. all that jazz. I got on the road just before noon. Quickly i realized a few things and learned some important lessons. I shoud not have waited until the hours before my ride to install my wind screen. I learned that it was just a touch too short. Pushing the air up directly into my helmet. It was much louder and a bit stronger gusts that usual. I will have to correct this when i can. I also knew that getting my late start was going to put me in the hot and boring central california during the hottest parts of the day. I was hoping to get through it in the early hours but instead was going to be enduring the heat. This changed my plans and effectively ended my IBA attempt before i got going. If i could have avoided the heat and made it up through to north California before the hottest times of the day I think I could have made it to Seattle in a straight shot.

None the less, i motored on. Hoping to make it as far as i could, at least to near the Oregon boarder. There is just about nothing between Los Angeles and Sacremento on Interstate 5. I snapped a few pictures but mostly it was hot, straight and boring. I just had to get through it. I ended up making it about 539 miles to a town of Redding. Checked into the local motel 6 and was very glad to give my butt and my hand a rest. I got a couple of cold beers from the market next door, watched some tube then fell asleep quick. The sun and the straight had taken it out of me.

Friday 6/3

This day stated off MUCH better. I got a good nights rest and was ready for the more scenic part of my trek north. Crossing into Oregon the freeway became much more enjoyable. Lots of ups and down and some curves. This helped break up the monotony. For as boring as the california section was, the oregon section was making up for it in spades. The trees, the blue skies, the mild weather and lots to look at was wonderful. Just me, my thoughts, some talls trees and lot of dead lil buggies. It was a very pleasant ride. The bike was running great and the throttle rocker was making the ride very easy. I did learn that I packed too much stuff. Far to much. I ended up mailing a lot of things home. When I was getting gas another ride told me that my brakelight wasent visable. I had too much stuff in my bag and it was drooping over my tail light. I got some rope out and pulled the bag up and tied it up. Though I realized i didn't need as much as i thought i did.
Mt Shasta
Mt Shasta
13346488_10154169470265912_3747948210852432480_n.jpg

I have spent the weekend here in seattle seeing the sights and just relaxing. Tomorrow I will ride out to the 101 coast highway and take a leisurly ride south towards portland. more updates to follow, cant wait to enjoy some oceanview views and roads.
13321997_10154170077915912_8880462845618194264_n.jpg
13321997_10154170077915912_8880462845618194264_n.jpg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 17219 times

Trip miles: 1133
Miles YTD: 1603
Miles Lifetime: 4956

ATGATT

JWF