Is this a good bike to buy? I'm thinking about it and would love a second opinion. =)

BigCollectors
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2004 Honda VTX 1300c

Is this a good bike to buy? I'm thinking about it and would love a second opinion. =)

#1 Unread post by BigCollectors »

Okay so, the bike i'm looking at is a rebuilt salvage title. according to the seller, it's currently registered and insured and being legally rode. The bike is a 2000 Honda shadow spirit 1100 with 17K miles on it.

Here's the info i have so far,
He has replaced the handlebars, mirrors, front fender, and various other touch up/add-ons (Extra front lights, skull radiator cover, luggage rack, windshield, and more). Also he has rebuilt the carbs.
He also said he got the bike with ape hangers and didn't like then so he replaced them with beach bars and he'll through in the ape hangers too.

He says it runs great and all. He is firm on the price of $1550. The bike is on KBB and NADA for between $1500 and $2200 (Retail or trade-in), but when i look on Craigslist they go for $4000 with more miles too.

So is this a good deal, what is y'alls opinions? Thanks!
Attachments
$_57_opt.jpg
$_57_opt.jpg (14.57 KiB) Viewed 12620 times
$_57 (3)_opt.jpg
$_57 (3)_opt.jpg (13.91 KiB) Viewed 12620 times
$_57 (2)_opt.jpg
$_57 (2)_opt.jpg (27.24 KiB) Viewed 12620 times

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Is this a good bike to buy? I'm thinking about it and would love a second opinion. =)

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Nathan,

Shadows are solid bikes in my experience, and Honda builds 'em bulletproof for sure. So the bike itself is certainly a good machine. What's sketchy is the salvage title.

Most insurance companies don't even bother forking out to repair a bike that's been dropped, they just total it out and cut a check. What this means is you end up with an awful lot of bikes that really aren't all that damaged, but get issued a salvage title anyway. Of course, you also end up with a few bikes that are genuinely wrecked having salvage titles issued as well.

Given what the seller has replaced, it sounds like the bike likely took a header into something. Bars, mirrors and fender. Of course, you'd also expect to have new forks as well in that situation, I'd ask the seller if you can maybe see some photos of the bike prior to repair. Chances are he bought it at auction, and would almost certainly have photos. If he claims not to, well, go with your gut whether you trust him or not.

Also, and I'm sure you've done this already, but take yourself a long, slow walk about the bike and look at EVERYTHING. The edges of the pegs and shift lever, engine cases, rear fender mounts, everything. Imagine the bike laying on it's side and look at everything that would be in contact with the ground, to see if you can spot a pattern of damage across either side.

The final thing you want to watch for is any damage that may have been done to the frame. Handlebars can be replaced all day, but a bent frame is a death sentence for a bike. Will the seller allow you to test ride it? Or if not you another motorcycle buddy with more experience? You need to get it out on an open road, get it up to 65+mph and pay special attention to any shimmies or shudders. A bent frame will reveal itself at speed. Of course, you could also drop it off with a qualified bike mechanic and explain these concerns to them, and let them have a look. They'll charge for that service of course, expect to pay between $60 and $100 for a full check-up. Only you can decide if that's worth it.

Lastly, common wisdom says that a bike with a salvage title is worth half of Blue Book. It can be tough to get someone selling a bike to agree to that, especially if they've put money in to make it sellable, but that's the usual practice. If you decide to pay full price on the bike, expect to get lowballed in a BIG way if you ever decide to sell it.

Anyone have anything to add?

Let us know how it goes, and welcome to TMW!

BigCollectors
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Is this a good bike to buy? I'm thinking about it and would love a second opinion. =)

#3 Unread post by BigCollectors »

Thanks for the great advise! The seller said it was only laid down at low speeds. He seems like a nice older gentleman. I agreed with the halve price for it. But, he said 1550 is as low he'll go. So, i don't think he'll go halve. Also, would that be halve of retail value or have of trade in? Thanks again!

JackoftheGreen

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Half of retail, the 'private party' price.

It really does seem like a solid bike. He says he's been riding it regularly right? Ask if he'll show you his current registration, which will have the mileage from when he got his new tags. Then compare that to the odo, to see if he really has been riding it.

Beyond that, it's a judgement call. I strongly suggest you make sure it doesn't have any high-speed shimmies before you make the deal though. That's absolutely critical. If that checks out, hell, I'd buy it. Again though, consign yourself now to it being tough to break even if you ever sell it.

JackoftheGreen

#5 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

So, I just took a closer look at your first post. If KBB lists it at $2,200 Retail in Good condition, then he's not so far off on his $1,550 being half of retail. He's trying to recoup what he spent on all that custom work, the skull covers, rack, lightbar and such. Those EASILY top the $450 he's over by. Of course, it can be really hard to get people to buy your aftermarket investments, since all anyone ever wants to talk about is Book.

So, that's maybe something to think about too.

BigCollectors
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by BigCollectors »

Thanks again for all the great advise, after more thought i think i'm going to go with a local bike for sale at a shop where i live. I'm kind of feel some regret, because that 1100 with the salvage is so much cheaper and has all the upgrades. But i don't want to be SOL when i want to sell it later, plus i don't really know much on working on bikes yet.. So, i don't want to get a bike that might end up needing a lot of work. It is hard for me to turn from that 1100 at the price. But, the bike i found local is a 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. It's in extremely shinny good condition, very mechanical sound and only has 10K miles. Plus it has all new fluids, new tires, etc.. I talked the guy down from $3500 to $3200. It's a little more pricey then the 1100, but this one just seems better to me. Plus it KBB's at $3600.

NORTY
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: Harley & Trumpet

#7 Unread post by NORTY »

Buying a bike with a dubious past (ie. salvage title) without a thorough inspection could be suicide. Get it checked out before you buy.
MSF RiderCoach

BigCollectors
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by BigCollectors »

Thanks for all y'als helpful advice. I ended up not getting this bike, mainly because i did not want to not be able to sell it later should i want to upgrade.

ibanrfknm
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 50
My Motorcycle: FXDBI

#9 Unread post by ibanrfknm »

Wise decision