Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Brukus Motorcycle Products "Saddlebag Secure"

#1 Unread post by Gummiente »

It’s amazing how a solution to a problem presents itself before you are even aware the problem exists in the first place. Such is the case with the “Saddlebag Secure” system I installed on my Road Glide today. Up until now I had been motoring along blissfully unaware that the OEM mounting system for Harley FL series saddlebags are not the best design when it comes to matters of theft and security. I figured that with the saddlebag lids closed and locked, all my belongings and valuables inside were safe from prying eyes and light fingers. Well... I was wrong. The literature that came with the kit claimed that once installed, there would be “No more concern your saddlebags will be popped off with a screwdriver”. Say what?! I had never heard of this issue before, so I wandered out to the garage and grabbed a screwdriver to see how it could be even remotely possible that a closed and locked saddlebag could simply be “popped off” the bike. And less than a minute later I had made a startling discovery... it is in fact very easy to do just that. And suddenly I saw why Brukus had developed this product – the solution to a problem I had no idea existed until now.

Installation was very easy and quick, even the most mechanically disinclined person should have few problems following the simple instructions. First step is to remove the OEM quick release “twist pins” from the inside of the saddlebag and then remove the saddlebag itself...

Then the OEM spring retainer clips are removed...

And the Brukus threaded inserts installed in their place...

Then it’s simply a matter of installing the tamper-proof screws with the special tool included in the kit and presto – the saddlebags are now theft proof...

The only downside I can see to this system is that the saddlebags can no longer be quickly removed when it’s time to check the rear tire pressure or when washing the bike – but the trade off is that nobody can bugger off with them when you’re not looking, so I’ll happily take security over convenience. And besides, with the special tool it takes less than a minute to remove the screws, so there really isn’t that much loss of convenience, anyway. If you own any year of Harley FL series touring bike, you really should think about getting this kit for your saddlebags. They make a locking version for the Road King Custom style of saddlebags, too. Check them out at: http://www.brukus.com
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Brukus Motorcycle Products "Saddlebag Secure"

#2 Unread post by HYPERR »

Gummiente wrote: The only downside I can see to this system is that the saddlebags can no longer be quickly removed when it’s time to check the rear tire pressure or when washing the bike
You have to remove the saddlebags to check the rear tire pressure? :shock:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

HYPERR wrote:You have to remove the saddlebags to check the rear tire pressure? :shock:
The bags hang low over the rear tire and with the large muffler and large brake rotor in the way, it is awkward to access the valve stem with a tire gauge. It can be done, but it's a PITA, which is why it is much easier to just remove the right side saddlebag.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#4 Unread post by High_Side »

Nice review Gummy

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#5 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Indeed.

BrukusMotorcycle
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2006 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic

#6 Unread post by BrukusMotorcycle »

Thanks for the great review! We get emails daily on bags falling off or being stolen. You can check out our website - brukus.com. You can also check out ALL the positive reviews / comments at: http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-custom ... page=13393
The Big Brukus
Navy Vet
Designs and Manufactures Motorcycle Products at Brukus Motorcycle Parts
http://brukus.com

crazy5dave
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by crazy5dave »

or i take a 7/16 inch wrench and take the two bolts out of the mounts.......
2007 Buell XB12Ss