Kawasaki W650

scott s
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Kawasaki W650

#1 Unread post by scott s »

So, there's a guy in town that has a W650. We saw him on it a couple of years ago at the Farmers Market and spoke with him for a while.
The next time we saw him, he had a little road rash and said "That's why I don't ride anymore".
Fast forward to a week ago. Ran into him at a local pub and remembered him. Mentioned the Kawasaki and he still has it. He said it didn't really get damaged when he went down and has been parked since then. He said he removed the carbs for some reason. I told him I always liked that bike and proceeded to tell him about my XS650's.
He comes up a little later and hands me his adress and phone #. Says I should come by and talk about the bike sometime. I told him I wasn't really looking for a project and probably wouldn't give him too much for a non-running bike that's been down ...wink, wink.
He reiterated that I should really come by and take a look at it. Made it sound like he's willing to bargain and let the bike go.

Long story longer, there's virtually NO aftermarket or support for these bikes. The carbs don't scare me; I've been through enough carbs to handle that. He swears it's in good shape otherwise.
Running bikes in good condition fetch high $4K to 5K+. If I could get the bike for, say, a grand...should I do it?

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

If I could get one for about a grand, I would buy it. The W-650 is a cool little bike.

Bring a bottle, get him half-cut and start dealin'. :mrgreen:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

scott s
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by scott s »

Well, I rode over an took a look at it. Let's just say this guy is a character. And I mean that in a good way.
The bike is complete, but in pieces. The tank (excellent shape) is off the bike. Carbs are off but operate freely. The seats were in the shed. He has the stock seat and a leather Corbin Gunfighter seat for it. He also has a brand new battery for it.
The bike's been stored outside under a good motorcycle cover for six months (so he says...maybe longer). There were leaves and acorns on the frame, but the oil looked clean and it kicked over easily. It concerns me a little that the carbs have been off that whole time.
It needs a headlight (cracked) and a side cover (scratched, but usable). I guess that's the alternator cover.
Fenders, chrome, exhaust, turn signals, etc are all in good shape. It just needs an afternoon of detail work.
But, wait for it....He can't find the title. He says it's clear and in his name and in the house....somewhere.
I offered him a thousand bucks and he refused. I told him to find the title and let me think about it.
He LOVED my XS650 cafe' racer. He mentioned maybe a trade. I was gonna put the XS up for sale this Spring for $2500. IF he can find the title, should I swap him? The W650 is worth ~4-4.5K when complete.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

Yeah, well, I don't know much about titles, other than they are needed to make the bike road legal in the States. That's a 'Merican thing. So I wouldn't do anything without that title.

But I am not so sure I'd go straight across for an nice XS. For a mildly beat-up but functional XS, maybe....

If the inlet tract has been plugged up with rags or bags, it wouldn't worry me, if they have been open I'd want to stick a bore-o-scope down the jug first. If they are clean and rust-free, then I'd go for it, after needling him down because I would have pull the head to clean and check it and that calls for a few gaskets.

Get that bottle and start at $1200. I'd go to $15-1600 before he would have to start feeding me drinks to make it sound good.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

OddJack
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: W650

Re: Kawasaki W650

#5 Unread post by OddJack »

So, where is the rest of the story Scott?

Yeah, I know how old this is...

Mike Miller
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: Yamaha R15
Location: 1401 K St NW ,Washington, D.C. United States of America

Re: Kawasaki W650

#6 Unread post by Mike Miller »

great bike for sure
Mike :kicking: