Kryptonite - NY Disc Lock

#1 Unread post by keysman »

Product: New York Disc Lock
Product Type: Security
Manufacturer: Kryptonite Corporation
URL: http://www.kryptonitelock.com/
Product Rating: 8 (out of 10)

Retail Price: $60.00

Note: This Kryptonite lock does NOT use the round key lock system that can be compromised with a Bic Pen.

The New York Disc Lock from Kryptonite offers motorcycle riders additional security against theft for their bikes. According to Kryptonite the NY Disc Lock is their, "ultimate motorcycle and scooter disc lock for urban and other high theft danger areas." The "through-hardened 1/2 (13 mm) Kryptonium(TM) Steel shackle defies bolt cutters, saws, hammers and chisels to provide maximum security." The lock also features a new "PikSafe(TM) disc-style cylinder" that is virtually pickproof. A "double deadbolt locking mechanism" provides extensive holding power.

My first impression of the lock which comes in a plastic blister pack was, "Wow, this thing is heavy." The NY Disc Lock weighs almost 1.5 pounds. That is pretty substantial considering it's 2.3" size. The clear blister pack gives you a good idea of what is included in the package. The kit comes with the NY Disc Lock, a carrying pouch with a belt clip, a reminder cable and a set of three keys. One of the included keys features an integrated green LED lamp that can is operated by the press of a button on the key. The LED can be used to illuminate the the keyhole when it is dark.

Kryptonite Corporation has devised it's own rating system called the "K-Tough Security Rating System" for buyers to use to compare the security or level of protection each of their products offers. According to Kryptonite "when you need the absolute ultimate security protection, look for the Kryptonite locks with a 5+ K-Star rating." The NY Disc Lock holds the 5+ K-Star rating. Hence it's substantial weight.

The NY Disc lock consists of a U shaped shackle and a straight cylindrical locking bar. The majority of both the shackle and the locking bar are coated with a plastic material. The material on the shackle resembles the coating found on many electricians tools. It's a rubberized protective coating. The material on the NY Disc Lock is much thicker than the coating found on tools.

Using the Disc Lock is simple. You insert the key into the lock and rotate the mechanism around 180 degrees to unlock and release the U shaped shackle from the locking bar, leaving the key in the lock. The shackle comes completely out of the lock and now you have two pieces. You simply insert the shackle through something on your motorcycle such as a hole in your brake disc. To lock the NY Disc Lock, simply insert the two ends of the U shaped shackle into the holes on the locking bar and rotate the key back 180 degrees. Next remove the key and close the dust cover by sliding it over the keyhole. The dust cover helps protect the locking mechanism from the elements. I would like to note that occasionally I had minor difficulties inserting the key into the lock. Sometimes the teeth or the tumblers get a little misaligned due to the design of the locking mechanism. A slight twist back and forth as you insert the key is the remedy to this minor issue.

You may also want to take advantage of the Reminder Cable. The Reminder Cable is a braided cable that is coiled and coated in transparent bright orange. The cable has a loop at each end. You place the loop at one end of the cable around the shackle as you lock the NY Disc Lock and then you stretch the coiled cable up to one of your handlebar grips and feed the loop through the end of your bar. The bright orange cable serves as a reminder to help you remember to remove the lock before jumping on your bike and taking off. Driving off with the lock in place could cause serious damage to your motorcycle. So that is my one word of caution with this product or others like it, "Don't forget to remove the lock!"

Kryptonite also offers consumers the ability to purchase multiple products in their Evolution 3000 series which includes the NY Disc Lock that are all keyed the same. This would allow you to purchase additional NY Disc Locks that will use the same key. This is nice if you have more than one bike and you only want to carry one key to unlock them all, or if your really paranoid and you want to use more than one Disc Lock on your bike. Replacement keys are also available through Kryptonite in case you loose all three they give you with your lock.

The NY Disc Lock offers a Limited Lifetime guarantee on the lock itself against material and workmanship defects and a $750 Anti-Theft protection guarantee. The Anti-Theft guarantee is provided in the event that your motorcycle is stolen because the Kryptonite was broken by force. This is the one and only area where I fault this product. The details of the guarantee are so specific that after reading them I decided it wasn't even worth the effort to fill out the paperwork and send it into Kryptonite. There are so many limitations to the guarantee that it just didn't seem worth it to me. Regardless of the Anti-Theft guarantees shortcomings I still think this is a great product for deterring the theft of your motorcycle. I don't know if other manufacturers are offering any type of theft assistance program.

It's important to keep in mind that the NY Disc Lock, like every security device, is only a deterrent to would be thieves. If someone decides they want to steal your bike, they will find a way. The NY Disc Lock comes with the shackle coated in black or bright yellow. I opted for the bright yellow shackle to make it more noticeable, both as a reminder for myself to remove the lock from my bike and as a reminder to thieves that my bike is at least a little more difficult to steal than the next guys. The Kryptonite website reminds would be consumers, "to prevent lift-away theft and increase security, use with a Kryptonite chain, u-lock, or cable." In other words lock your bike to something substantial to make it even more difficult to steal. Unfortunately I haven't seen any motorcycle racks in parking lots, like those you used to lock your bicycle to when you were a kid.

Aside from the wording and the limitations in the Anti-Theft guarantee and the occasional difficulty inserting the key into the lock this product seems to be problem free and I would recommend it to anyone looking for additional security for their motorcycle.

Was this review helpful to you? Please post and let us know.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

honda599
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Kyrptonite Lock Recall

#2 Unread post by honda599 »

Looks like a a very nice lock system.

I just found out that if you own a Kyrptonite lock using the old round key system, Kyrptonite will replace it with a newer version at no cost. Please check out the link below and follow the instructions. You will have to return the lock plus at least one key(serial number for key needed for application). Their site also states that for the new lock...be careful to fully insert before turning as it seems that some users are breaking keys off. Good news though Kyrptonite will provide the first two replacements free.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscr ... =home_home

When it comes to locking my bike I like to use Kyrptonite U-Lock on front wheel along with cable to solid object, and I place my disc lock on rear rotor. One time many years ago a guy I know had his disc lock on front wheel(Goldwing). Some guys came in the middle of the night ran a dolly under the front end and dragged the whole bike out into the middle of the lane. If the disc lock was mounted on rear rotor it would be a lot harder to move about. Fortunately the neighbors dog started barking and everybody woke up before the bike was stolen.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

This looks like an upgrade to the earlier model Kryptonite Disc Lock that I have. A nice, compact, heavy, easy to use lock, with radial key, bright colors... etc. Does the trick. Well worth the money for a little extra peace of mind.

There are alternate brands on the market which are comparable as well.

//monkey
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

JustJames
Legendary
Legendary

#4 Unread post by JustJames »

I have this one and love it. It's pretty easy to use, pretty heavy but give me a piece of mind when I have to leave my bike without sight. Oh and that reminder is very helpful too :)
[img]http://www.geocities.com/hoonnirun/Element/element-sig.jpg[/img]

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#5 Unread post by keysman »

I wonder how much it's costing Kryptonite to replace all those locks.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

honda599
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by honda599 »

I don't know but I hope I get my replacement before they go belly up!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thanks for the review, keysman. I bought this lock when I bought my bike. I thought it was just me not being able to work the lock right so I was glad that you mentioned it. Now I know it's the lock and not me being inept.
I like its compactness because it will fit nicely into the storage compartment on the bike. Or in my pocket if I'm in a hurry.

HexedWrench
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by HexedWrench »

Very good review. I've been using this lock for about 18 months now and really like its durability. It has the orange cable to remind you to take it off before riding but I've gotten to the point where disc lock removal is just part of the pre-ride walk-around.
Mechanically Inclined Amateur

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#9 Unread post by CNF2002 »

Nice lock, but it can be compromised with a bic pen??
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

HexedWrench
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#10 Unread post by HexedWrench »

CNF2002 wrote:Nice lock, but it can be compromised with a bic pen??
Not this one.
Mechanically Inclined Amateur