kind of confused

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

#21 Unread post by Brackstone »

MZ33 wrote: It seems to me that this guy is taking a whole lot of chances with blind curves, completely ignoring the "outside-inside-outside" concept.
I take twisties pretty quick and I drag my boots once in a while.

I do the "outside-inside-outside" when I feel it's in my best interest. The problem with that rule is that gravel, dirt, debris all like to build up on the outside of the road.

So if you're leaning over real hard and you touch that stuff your going to low-side.

Imo OIO is great for learners because you aren't going that fast and it really lets you see the road ahead.

Oh btw I never take blind curves fast even if I've been on them before. You just never know what's on the other end of that turn.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

dkpdude
Rookie
Rookie

countersteering

#22 Unread post by dkpdude »

There's a lot of people trying to explain this but here are a few key points.
-Don't overthink it.
-Leaning the bike by turning the handlebars will make the bike turn.
-At low speed (~5-10mph), turn the handlebars in the direction you want to go and lean with the bike.
-At speed (>10mph), turn the handlebars away from the direction you want to go to lean the bike in the direction of the turn. This leads to the saying "push right, go right" and "push left, go left." Turn the handlebars into the turn to upright the bike.
-Practice this technique in low traffic areas, such as your own neighborhood.
-advanced techniques: leaning into the turn (farther than your bike) will cause your bike to lean less and leaning away from the turn will cause your bike to lean more.
-use the lean away method to "counterweight" the bike to make very tight turns at very slow speed (<5 mph).
-use the lean into method if you tend to drag a peg in turns, but you should really just slow down.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#23 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

MZ33 wrote:You're right, roncg, Capt Crash's video is great! It put to rest some confusion I had about the whole CS thing.

Then, as a related clip, youtube listed the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghIBkg2s ... re=related

I would like to hear the comments of people who do the twisties as to how this rider is taking these turns. I'm horrified, but I am both new and a much more conservative rider. It seems to me that this guy is taking a whole lot of chances with blind curves, completely ignoring the "outside-inside-outside" concept. I'm currently focusing on that a lot in my riding, albeit on more simple turns. Is it me, or is this rider taking most of these turns way too fast for his skill level, or for his bike's cornering abilities? Or is that just how y'll take the twisties? 'Cuz then I know that'll never be for me.
(read the following with the fact that I'm a noob too. :)

Too fast for his skill level - I don't think so. He's making the turns ok.
Outside-inside-outside concept, I don't know. If he is making it through the turns he's approaching them appropriately.

The thing he is doing that makes the video of the ride dangerous is riding too fast for the visible path. There was one case where a large truck was parked on the side of the road. I was thinking that if that truck was in the middle of entering traffic.... It'd be a hell of a time to brake or go around.

Also, I'm thinking that if there was a bit more sand in some of these turns - maxing out his traction in the turn leaves little margin for error.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#24 Unread post by Kal »

I didn't like his cornerng. As said above he definatly seemed to be carrying a lot of speed into corners he couldn't see all the way through. Ride like that constantly and it is just a matter of time until your luck runs out.

I wasn't too impressed with the road positioning most of the time either. the rider mostly seemed to be taking racing lines to maximise his speed through the corner rather than taking lines that maximise his visibility.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

shane-o
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 17
My Motorcycle: VTR1000

#25 Unread post by shane-o »

now that is a fuking stoopid thing to watch.

You continue to push a bike like that on public roads and you will die.

You wanna ride like that, take it to the trak !!!!

And im referring to the fact he is using all the road (public roads) on blind turns, that will see you dead.

Not to mention the fact that one of your family or friends could be on the other side of some of those turns only to be confronted by some unwitty with a camera pushing it to the point that he wants to die or kill some else.

I hate people like this !!!!
[url=http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ragingtux.jpg][img]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6403/ragingtux.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7103/thhitlerbx91kg4.gif[/img][/url]
By [url=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/su_tux]su_tux[/url]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#26 Unread post by storysunfolding »

lol- even he thinks he's going to fast. Listen to him roll off the whole way through most of those turns. If he was throttling on midway I'd say something entirely different but he doesn't gas it again until he's straight.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#27 Unread post by MZ33 »

I wasn't too impressed with the road positioning most of the time either. the rider mostly seemed to be taking racing lines to maximise his speed through the corner rather than taking lines that maximise his visibility.
im referring to the fact he is using all the road (public roads) on blind turns, that will see you dead.
Thanks, guys! That's what I was concerned about.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: kind of confused

#28 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

graymojocat wrote:someone explain countersteering to me please.
As an instructor, I usually avoid answering this in the classroom, except to say, "Countersteering is one of those things that, if you've ridden a bicycle faster than walking speed, you already know how to do." Explaining it only seems to make it harder to understand. Don't ask how, just do it.

Wait until you take the MSF course, try what the instructors tell you. It works.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#29 Unread post by RockBottom »

What confused me when I first heard an explanation of countersteering is exactly what "push" means. Does it mean push down (causing a lean) or push ahead causing the wheel to turn?

I like LionLady's explanation--I have tens of thousands of bicycle miles, so figure I can turn a motorcycle. (I even know her realm, having lived on Charles St. in Bawlamer while in grad school!)

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#30 Unread post by jstark47 »

RockBottom wrote:Does it mean push down (causing a lean) or push ahead causing the wheel to turn?
Push ahead.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S