Wretched XS

noodlenoggin
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1995 Ford Thunderbird =-(

Re: Wretched XS

#241 Unread post by noodlenoggin »

Okay, I've calmed down now -- following denial, anger, etc, etc... No, the bike is not going on the road this year and it's by my choice, nobody else's.

Here's the deal. My oldest girl needs $2k worth of orthodontics, and if we get on it now we avoid paying triple that much later. It's structured in a couple of installments, with one in August and a larger one later. Okay... I could get the bike legalized for about $70, plus about $50 in maintenance, and that would have it insured until August. Then, I could insure the bike for the next entire year, ride until it's too cold, cancel the insurance and be refunded the remainder.

Sharp eyes would notice the recurrence of August. It would appear that a year's insurance policy is roughly equal to the installment on my daughter's teeth. My wife adamantly insisted that she was not going to tell me "no bike" and that she would "find some way" to pay for the orthodonture -- meaning she'd work more hours at the job she kind of detests.

Well...I'm not that selfish. I can't go spend $$ on something that only benefits me when the money needs to go for something that benefits the family. That's just the way I work. Also knowing the way I work, getting the bike on the road for the next eight weeks -- one of which I'll be out of town for school and another of which we'll be on vacation -- and then having to stop in the middle of summer would hurt me more than just looking at it in the garage. My wife really can't understand that one.

I toyed with selling the bike, but logically I know that it'll be cheaper to get this one going in the future, than to go spend thousands on a bike AND pay for all of the legalities. So, the XS will sit in the garage.

And no, I'm not quitting the forum. I'm sure that those of you who were biting your fingernails over this are relieved. :roll: Quite frankly, I enjoy reading what the rest of you have to say. I just don't really have anything to contribute.
1979 XS650F -- "Hi, My name's Nick, and I'm a Motorcyclist. I've been dry for four years." (Everybody: "Hi, Nick.")

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#242 Unread post by roscowgo »

Hey noodle. A year off isn't a huge deal. It just turns you back into a n00b when you do climb back aboard. I had to sit off for a year due to some vertigo stuff.

noodlenoggin
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#243 Unread post by noodlenoggin »

Hey, Roscow. A year off would be nice. It's four years off now for me.

After reading Wrider's latest post, I feel I can share my latest achievement(?) in transportation. Namely, our Volvo turned over 200,000 miles. I pulled over to the side of the expressway and took pictures. (I'm such a nerd.)

1979 XS650F -- "Hi, My name's Nick, and I'm a Motorcyclist. I've been dry for four years." (Everybody: "Hi, Nick.")

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#244 Unread post by roscowgo »

I was kinda afraid I was going on a permanent off with the vertigo stuff.

I think...I'm around 14k on that thing. Maybe. I dunno Once every few months I peek under the tankbag.

Good lookin youngun there. And grats on the 200k. I'm about 20 behind you in my just barely alive truck :laughing:

noodlenoggin
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#245 Unread post by noodlenoggin »

Nothing Motorcycle Related

But I do have an interview on Wednesday with the Ford Motor Company. I'm hoping to get into their IT Leadership Development Program when I graduate in March. Downside...I'd have to move to Detroit. Upside...more $$ and possibly cheap new cars. I'll take a Supercab Raptor, please.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#246 Unread post by Wrider »

Congrats and good luck! I'm usually a Ford hater, but I'd rock the Raptor in a heartbeat!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#247 Unread post by BuzZz »

You wanna good cry, Wrider.

My 68 yr old father showed up a week ago driving a new Raptor SVT. He bought it so his gold diggin' wife could drive it. She wanted it because she thinks she looks good in it (the is no vehicle in the world that can make her look good). So now I have to look at this truck and know it will always be driven by a useless snag and driven like a pusssy. It just kills me.

I told them that that truck was wasted on them and that I should have it instead. Dad said, 'yeah, I know it's wasted on me'.... but I ain't getting from him. I can drive it occasionally, but I'm forbidden to take it offroad. It really just f'n kills me...... :frusty:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#248 Unread post by Wrider »

That's why you take it offroad and wash it off... :)
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#249 Unread post by BuzZz »

If I ever take that thing offroad, washing it ain't agonna hide the evidence...... :twisted:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

noodlenoggin
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#250 Unread post by noodlenoggin »

That sucks, but look at it this way...when she gets tired of climbing up into it, or parking it, or whatever in a year or so, it'll have depreciated a lot, be in AWESOME shape, and be on the market.

Then, there was the time we rented a Ford Expedition to carry some stuff (a shed) back to Home Depot. When I returned it to Budget, it had mud *on the roof.* :twisted: