Magna Comparison: V45 vs. V65

skypix
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Magna Comparison: V45 vs. V65

#1 Unread post by skypix »

My search for the sporty/cruiser bike has led me to the Magna, thanks in great part to all the great comments I've received and read in other threads on this board. Much obliged!

I just don't know now which model to get. I think the V45 has plenty of power for me, and I won't be riding two up on it because my wife is very long-legged (5'10 - I'm 5'11, 170#). She'll have to take the family cage to trip out with me! 8)

Still, I'm wanting to compare the two models to make sure I'm zeroed in and appreciate any input.

What's your take in comparing the two models on:

gas mileage
around town
cruising
comfort
balance (i.e., how much heavier does the v65 feel?)
super magna vs. pre 87 models
80s models vs. generation 3 )90s
shaft drive (I'm partial to it) vs. more modern chain drives
overdrive 6th...does it really help in higher speed cruising?

also, I posted a poll but it didn't show up, how do I do that?

Thanks everybody!
--Adventure is in the new stuff

V4underme
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by V4underme »

You forgot something huge... when looking at older bikes, you absolutley must look at price and availability of parts, from little rubber hoses to trannies, fenders to seats, etc. That alone would send me looking for a late 90's or early 2000's gen 3. By the way, the gen 3's are very strong, agile, comfortable and smooth as hot butter. Expect to flip to reserve around the 100-110 mile mark. The small tank is the biggest complaint about that model.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by Scott58 »

My best friend rides an 85 magna. There is no "V" designation. It runs great and is very comfortable. However there is no reserve tank. Once the gas light comes on you need to fillup as soon as possible. First bike I've ever seen without one.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by skypix »

You forgot something huge... when looking at older bikes, you absolutley must look at price and availability of parts, from little rubber hoses to trannies, fenders to seats, etc. That alone would send me looking for a late 90's or early 2000's gen 3. By the way, the gen 3's are very strong, agile, comfortable and smooth as hot butter. Expect to flip to reserve around the 100-110 mile mark. The small tank is the biggest complaint about that model.
A really good point, I'd read that the supers in particular can be hard to find parts for. I just wish when they brought the model back in '94 they'd kept the shaft drive and a couple other things from the earlier models.

I've also read a number (34 I think) reviews on the Magna on epinions.com. Almost universal raves about the bike around the things I'm looking for: sportiness and decent enough cruiser chops. But every review complained about the lack of more fuel capacity onboard.

FlyerPhil
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by FlyerPhil »

skypix wrote:
A really good point, I'd read that the supers in particular can be hard to find parts for. I just wish when they brought the model back in '94 they'd kept the shaft drive and a couple other things from the earlier models.

I've also read a number (34 I think) reviews on the Magna on epinions.com. Almost universal raves about the bike around the things I'm looking for: sportiness and decent enough cruiser chops. But every review complained about the lack of more fuel capacity onboard.
Is this your first bike?

I just got a 97 as my first bike. I love it, it has a lot of power but doesn't surprise me with it, I've got to ask for it. Its a bit heavy but I'm a big guy so it doesn't bother me much. It'd be nice if they'd put on a shaft drive and low fuel light. Some people put Valkyrie tanks on 3rd gens for larger fuel capacity. The slightly more upright than a regular cruiser seating will make you want a windshield before long.

I love the look of the super magnas but they aren't a practical bike at all. Its pretty much impossible to put saddlebags on with the stock pipes and if you're going to change the pipes what's the point of getting a super? I've also heard less than great things about the super's shocks, though the 3rd gen isn't great there either.

Most people's major complaint with the Gen 3's isn't the tank though...its the stock seat which is supposed to be terrible after 30-45 mins. My bike came with a mustang so I can't say. There are several Gen 3 aftermarket seats that are very nice.

It can be EXTREMELY difficult to find parts for a Super, the owners are fanatics. That's a nice point in the Gen 3s favor, they didn't really have any changes from 94-03 so parts seem to be mostly interchangeable. Much better availability.

V4underme
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by V4underme »

My bad, I forgot about the seat as I slapped a Corbin on mine almost immediatley after buying it. But the seat is a really simple fix. The fuel capacity is, for the vast majority of owners, an issue you have to live with.

I found the weight to be a non-issue. The bike handles so well it makes up for it. If I recall, the dry weight was something like 534 pounds, which is way less from the 600+ pound large cruisers around. It's more than the middleweight cruisers, but then again none of them can get close to the Magna. Except in gas mileage. :P

Sky, you can do much much worse than a Magna of any vintage. The later models give you the advantage of being newer and they have good aftermarket support.

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by skypix »

Great, thanks guys, that helps a lot. I like the Supers for the look and the rareness, but I know myself pretty well: I want a bike that I can take out and really run with, through occasionally bad weather (a factor of life in the northeast year round), and I'm not all that great at maintenance (which is why, along with the smoothness, I like shaft drive).

I've had that grungy old Suzuki 650 for 3 years now, it's a great run around bike but I'm embarrassed to be seen on it in my little home town of Chatham, NY. (blue side panels and fenders, red tank...yuck!) It sure runs sweet, especially for the $700 I've got into it total. Was thinking it would be nice though to have a prettier ride with more oomph, spring me out on the road more.

So thanks for the help, still thnking it over but I imagine I could get used to the chain drive and such without any problem. And I love the look of the gen 3 pipes, must say. That's keeping me from wanting an 80s model, except for the supers of course. When I get rich, I'll have a super for the garage and occasional trips to shows and town, maybe, eh? Meanwhile, maybe the 90s is what I need to be looking at after all.

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#8 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Sky - You know my take on this subject already 8)

The Super is a great rare bike, but for practicality reasons I'd get something newer if I were in your shoes. Although since I got the Super about 1.5 months ago, I've been using it as my daily driver :laughing:
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by skypix »

:laughing:
supermag, yeah, you helped point me in this direction on the other thread. Thanks again!

That's pretty funny about riding it to work. I bet it's just so cool you can't say no. This is the same dilemma I'm facing: I know I want to take some trips (saddlebags etc) and I also would rather spend maybe a little less on a newer bike and be able to get some real gear for it. Or the same and have a real low mile, crispy new bike.

But man do I love those upswept pipes and other stuff.

what to do? Keep looking I guess... :frusty:

pseudopod
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by pseudopod »

I don't know if you've been to this place yet, but it's the most information on magnas in one place.

I recently got a '85 V45 Magna as my 2nd bike and I am very happy with it. I would suggest getting an '85 or '86 V45 Magna or a V65 only if you reeeallly want power. The reason I chose the 1st gen over 3rd gen was the shaft drive, 6th gear, larger tank, and styling. I'm planning on going on several longer trips and it seemed more ready for them.

However, if you don't like wrenching, get a 3rd gen. A 20 year old bike is going to require more maintenance than a 10 year old bike, and the lesser availability of parts and age of the bike will make repairs more expensive.