Froldt is JoeMotorcycle

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

#21 Unread post by froldt »

Wow, the time goes fast. I've done a bunch of disassembly and a little bit of cleaning so far...

Finally got all of the pictures uploaded and commented. You can see them here.
My plans were ruined by the required nap (fell asleep in the chair, and finally made it to the bed, those two feet were brutal). Now I'm waiting for the repairman to move his truck so I can leave.

Soon as I get over there, the carbs are getting scrubbed and put back together, and the valve cover is coming off!

So this is a pictorial of progress (or destruction, or something) as I take parts off of Dirty Gerty, and I'll probably do the same in reverse, to show true progress...

I was going to wait on the rear brake until I got her running again, but I suppose it would be easier to check it out now. I'm sure I'll be needing new shoes. Oh, so as far as I can tell, one of the differences in the 750T model is the fact that it has rear drum brakes. I was about to get mad at my manual because it only mentioned disc brakes, till I read the added on section. There's also not a rear master reservoir (since one's not needed) and that threw me off for a bit, till I thought about it.

Well, time to go and get dirty! Oh, carb cleaner makes my fingers tingle, and the only way to get rid of the smell is time, apparently.

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

obviously, I'm not so good at the regular update thing...

#22 Unread post by froldt »

When it turned cold, I was discouraged from working on Gertrude. The whole "touching a freezing piece of metal out in the cold" thing got to me. That, and I really didn't know what else to do.

However, the weather has turned nice, I am seeing lots of bikes out on the road, and I wanna ride! So... I started working on her last weekend.

She will turn over when I put starting fluid in cyl #1, but that's about it. The compression ranges from 175 to less than 50. So... I'm in the process of tearing the top end apart to check for a messed up valve, and if that's not the case, then I'll continue on down to the rings. I have a friend of a friend who is helping me out, cause I can take things apart and put them back together, but without someone else's knowledge, I have no idea...

Got pretty much all of the top end off last night, but the exhaust is froze on there. So I soaked it in WD-40 (didn't have any liquid wrench) to sit over night. Headed over there now to see if I can finish removing everything. Then "Breeze" will come over and we'll look at it and see what to do next.

Man, I can't wait to get back in the wind!

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

#23 Unread post by froldt »

Bah, can't get the exhaust off. Twisted a hex wrench about 180 degrees and only got three bolts loose. Going to stop by the store and pick up a couple more, and I finally found the torch. So... hopefully tonight I'll have her apart.
Edit/Delete Message

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

I'm horrible at this updating thing, sorry!

#24 Unread post by froldt »

I was finally able to get the bike in pieces, and now part of it's at the machine shop. Last I heard, they had to face the valves and see how they fit. They were pitted (I think), but looked like they probably didn't need to be replaced. YAY! Once they get everything checked out good, they're supposed to give me a call with what parts I'll need to buy to put it back together, and if it's not too much, away we'll go!

Also, I found another GS750, but it's a (I believe) 87, which means the two aren't compatable, engine-wise. It has no paperwork, so I can get it for cheap, but... other than swapping out tags, I dunno what good it'd do me.
Still tempted, though!

Well, that's all for now. Soon as I hear something, I'll throw it in here!

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

Got the head back!

#25 Unread post by froldt »

Now all I need to do is check the tolerances on the cyls (dunno how to spell that) and then decide if I want to just hone it and new o-rings (about $120) or bore it and new pistons and everything (about $450). I want what will be best, I need what will be cheaper. Based on the looks of everything when it came apart, I believe that I can just hone it and put some new rings in there.

Either way, once I get the parts in, it'll be time for some re-assembly. I already have the new petcock and a master link for my chain, so those are ready to be installed.

I'm still not sure, but doubtful, about buying that other 750. I found yet another on craigslist today that I am debating. It is already in pieces, which suits me just fine, as I'll be using it for pieces. Plus, it's cheaper and I can sell the parts I won't be using and recoup some of my money. So I guess I'm leaning more that way and have pretty much decided against the first second bike I found. (How's that for confusing?)

I have re-decided (against the arguments of some people) that I should sell my car and use a motorcycle as my only mode of transportation during the upcoming years of college. There is a bus system in Lexington, Ky (where I'll be living), so between the public transportation and my girlfriend's vehicle, I will be able to get around when the weather is not so nice.

Now I need to decide if I should keep my bike (cheaper insurance due to age, already in my possession, but older and might need more work later on...) or if I should sell it and buy a newer bike (more reliable, but more money towards insurance.) I suppose that I need to get my bike running and see how it does on gas mileage and how much I like it for long periods of time (never did get to take a good long trip on it, nothing over about 30 minutes).

Well, that's the update. Stay tuned for more!

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

#26 Unread post by froldt »

I'm still debating keeping my Gertrude or trying to get the max dollar out of her before I spend any more.

I need to send the jugs off to the machine shop. They can measure tolerances and see if I can get the honed, or if I need to replace the pistons and bore it over.

I'd love to get her running and keep her, but she still needs a little more TLC, and I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to do right by her.-

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

Wow, it's been awhile since I've been here!

#27 Unread post by froldt »

I don't know that there is anything more frustrating than having my bike in pieces and watching everyone else out riding. Except for having to wait a month to get my final parts in, especially when it was only supposed to be a couple of weeks.

But I got the cyls honed and returned. The o-rings and top-end-gasket set finally came in the other day. Yesterday afternoon I got a little bit of old gasket removed, hopefully today I'll be able to get everything cleaned up and ready to be put back together (and adventure I'm not quite looking forward to.)

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

#28 Unread post by froldt »

She's not back together yet, but we've made some definate forward progress!
I must admit, I hate some old gasket material! Finally got it all removed, though, and got the new o-rings in place. I highly recommend that you follow the book's advice and get the inner pistons into the cyls before the outer. Got everything put together, even though I had to fight with the exhaust, and last night I got the cams in place.
Missing a bolt, so I'll run to the hardware store this afternoon. Then I can put the heads on and double check the carbs before throwing them in place. Hopefully tonight I'll have her at least together, if not running!

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

#29 Unread post by froldt »

WooHoo! Got her all back together (excepting the fairing). Now just waiting for the battery to charge so I can try to start her and see how it goes. -crosses fingers-

froldt
Veteran
Veteran

#30 Unread post by froldt »

As always, it has been awhile since I posted...
Got her started, even though the charger didn't work. Just had to jump her off my car. Got her started, and she started revving at about 2500, then as she warmed up, raised on up to around 5,000 before I shut her off.

Apparently if a motorcycle's idle speed increases as it warms up, it's running lean. So now I have to adjust the carbs so that it's not running lean. Guess I'm going to have to make it run rich, then get it adjusted down from there.