Magna Comparison: V45 vs. V65

skypix
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by skypix »

pseudopod wrote:I don't know if you've been to this place yet, but it's the most information on magnas in one place.

I recently got a '85 V45 Magna as my 2nd bike and I am very happy with it. I would suggest getting an '85 or '86 V45 Magna or a V65 only if you reeeallly want power. The reason I chose the 1st gen over 3rd gen was the shaft drive, 6th gear, larger tank, and styling. I'm planning on going on several longer trips and it seemed more ready for them.

However, if you don't like wrenching, get a 3rd gen. A 20 year old bike is going to require more maintenance than a 10 year old bike, and the lesser availability of parts and age of the bike will make repairs more expensive.
Thanks a lot, that's really helpful info. I was just going to post about the difference in power, that hadn't been answered yet...whether the extra weight would be worth the extra power, how it feels on the road, etc.

I'll check out the site.

Anybody know if you can put the 90s version pipes on with the older 80s frames/engines? I love the newer pipes.
--Adventure is in the new stuff

V4underme
Elite
Elite

#12 Unread post by V4underme »

Just to help you out with the magna thoughts...

skypix
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by skypix »

pseudopods, thanks, that V4 site you posted is "lightbulbs" up. I bet I'll find my ride on that board.

V4underme, thanks too, I'll check them out right now.
--Adventure is in the new stuff

phibes
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 1987 super magna

Re: Magna Comparison: V45 vs. V65

#14 Unread post by phibes »

im trying to find out if the v 65 engine fits into the v 45 frame-
i have a 87 super magna and want to replace the engine
with a v 65-will it work