Is 1200cc too much for a first time rider?

Fargo360
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

#41 Unread post by Fargo360 »

Didn't we just have this conversation with Gixxerkid or whatever his name was? Six pages of everyone saying start small, work up to a bigger bike.

Speaking of which, where did that smarta$$ go?
1976 Honda CBR360R/T
1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk 996

Fargo, ND supports global warming

ChickenLittle
Rookie
Rookie

#42 Unread post by ChickenLittle »

Ok everyone, so you are telling me that the V-Star 1100 is too big for me at 5'4" and 150 lbs? I have dropped it twice at slow speeds but the seat has been cut down and my bike has been lowered so the center of gravity is much lower than a normal V-Star. I have found this makes it much easier to handle. One last word - if you are new at riding the best way to learn is NOT to take chances. Let the cars go ahead, watch, watch, watch and expect drivers to never follow the rules of the road. Speed is not all it is cut out to be. I would much rather cruise at 65mph on the highway than speed down it at 90mph. To many risks and too many chances of something going wrong.
Janice

Life is too short for what if's!

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#43 Unread post by RockBottom »

ChickenLittle wrote: One last word - if you are new at riding the best way to learn is NOT to take chances. Let the cars go ahead, watch, watch, watch and expect drivers to never follow the rules of the road. Speed is not all it is cut out to be.
I'm getting ready to help a buddy learn to ride and my slogan is "think like a rabbit." Consider everything a threat, and keep your furry little butt away from them.

I am a bit worried, though, that he'll take my preaching to heart and the next time he comes over to my house, I'll find little pellets all over the carpet.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#44 Unread post by Amdonim »

RockBottom wrote:
ChickenLittle wrote: One last word - if you are new at riding the best way to learn is NOT to take chances. Let the cars go ahead, watch, watch, watch and expect drivers to never follow the rules of the road. Speed is not all it is cut out to be.
I'm getting ready to help a buddy learn to ride and my slogan is "think like a rabbit." Consider everything a threat, and keep your furry little butt away from them.

I am a bit worried, though, that he'll take my preaching to heart and the next time he comes over to my house, I'll find little pellets all over the carpet.
You're kind of right. Riding does seem a bit like coursing.

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

Re: Wrong wrong

#45 Unread post by zeligman »

Lion_Lady wrote:>>Oh, and folks 45+ are the fastest growing single category of motorcycle fatalities in the USA.
i'm not *quite* in that demo yet, but 41 and a new rider is close enough. I'm not purposefully stupid. I took the MSF, spent a long time listening to the good advice shared here, and finally chose an 02 suz vol 800. Before buying it, I checked with a bunch of people I trusted, and based on the bike, my size (i'm extra extra large), and my evaluation process - it was my choice. I couldn't be happier! I think it's about 500 lbs, not looking forward to picking it up if i ever have to, but also have been able to balance it up out of a nasty tilt in parking lot practice.

I'm atgatt as well - i value all my organs (including skin) too much to waste them foolishly, and with all this, I hope that I won't be adding to the stats of 40+ drivers.

thanks again for everyone's sage advice on here!

-z
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

Seanyee2
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: Kawasaki ninja 650

Re: Is 1200cc too much for a first time rider?

#46 Unread post by Seanyee2 »

Tbh. Yes you should always start out with a 250-500cc bike they will be much more forgiving for mistakes that you would make. I started out on a Kawasaki ninja 650 and that was a mistake and I quickly learned that I needed a smaller engine bike which then a picked up a Suzuki 400cc which was a lot easier to handle. Let go, offer up, and Facebook market are great places to find a used cheap beginners bike that will last you enough time to learn what you need to learn.