View results

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

Re: THIS WEEK #329: 2018 Yamaha Star Venture - VOTE TODAY

#11 Unread post by montanalifter »

Reading reviews from people riding them at Sturgis it handles quite well. The only thing I think that is wrong with the engine is that it will be HOT, so stop and go traffic will not be its thing. I don't know how most of you ride but going on a trip (which is what this bike is made for) with a pillon and all her stuff the bike gets heavy and the reverse assist would be nice. I also think Yamaha should quit worrying about Harley and should of put a v4 (with power not anemic) or some other motor in it but it would be interesting to ride because the 113 motor is a good motor. The 113 mill is redone for this bike.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#12 Unread post by NorthernPete »

As cool as any other couch I guess.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#13 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I decided on going with a controversial uncool vote. I was going to vote Cool based on looks alone, but there is just too much negative to give it a cool (sorry Yamaha).

The Good: For the looks, it looks mean, aggressive, the V-Max type scoops look cool, the metallic red color is gorgeous. At a bike night, looks matter most.

The Bad: Wet Weight Star Venture / Star Venture Transcontinental 957 lb / 963 lb... Almost 1000lbs? Your kidding right? That's laughable heavy. This has got to be the heaviest bike out there. Maybe the Boss Hoss V8 beats it? Maybe weight should be in "The Ugly".

The Ugly: The engine, the gas mileage, the touring range (200 miles on a tank? really), the price.

Overall, a good looking bike that I wouldn't want to pay the price of admission. Then again, touring bikes are not my "thing" but I do respect them. The 2018 Yamaha Star Venture though, that's very hard to swallow.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#14 Unread post by markdcoco »

The Bad: Wet Weight Star Venture / Star Venture Transcontinental 957 lb / 963 lb... Almost 1000lbs? Your kidding right? That's laughable heavy. This has got to be the heaviest bike out there. Maybe the Boss Hoss V8 beats it? Maybe weight should be in "The Ugly".
In these days of politically correct speak... I can't believe you actually fat shamed this bikes body. Oh... the horror. But couldn't agree more... the heck with PC

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2018 Yamaha Star Venture - Coolness Factor = 76.5%
Featured: August 11th, 2017 - August 18th, 2017
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54453
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... re-review/

Your Coolness Factor of the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture

Awesome (3 points) 9
Cool (2 points) 4
Uncool (1 point) 4
Fail (0 point) 0

Total votes: 17

= a Coolwall Factor of 76.5%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: Rarely do I come out and say a bike was voted too high versus what our audience has said in the comments. And the comments for the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture were definitely not flattering, in fact, other than looks, everything else said was negative. So I can only say that a 76.5% vote is really good and while the comments do point negative, the majority of people actually like the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture. Big price, high weight, air cooled engine, low gas mileage. It will be interesting to see how it sells.

Best comments of the week: "I wanted to like this bike, I really did. However, the more I read the less impressed I became."
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.