The Blog of Blues

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: The Blog of Blues

#1431 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jstark47 wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:......Doc got his tent trailer partially done but he was not feeling well. He went to buy some ice and a jug of water.....he was suffering from heat stroke. It took about an hour....but he finally started feeling better and finished the tent awning.

It was 42 degrees Celsius there. I knew it would be hot....so I packed only a sheet for a blanket.
42 Celsius is too damned hot. I'm getting to the point where I just won't go riding when it's so hot. It's not fun, and if I'm not having fun, why do it?

I got heat exhaustion coming back from Canada through New England in September 2013. Stopped at a country store, almost dropped the bike getting off. Had a 2+ hour lunch in the shade, with tons of water, and wet towels on my neck, before I felt OK to start riding again.
Scary, isn't it. I've had problems with dehydration - but never heat stroke or heat exhaustion.

I've been riding to work and back even on the hot days...because my ride home is short.

Other times if I know I'm going to be out doing something....I've take the car....it has air conditioning. :)

blues2cruise

#1432 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I rode my motorcycle up the coast on the weekend. I left home about 6 am so that I could catch the first ferry. It was surprising how many bikes were on that sailing. The majority of bikers get the next one.

My ride from Langdale where the ferry docks to my Mom's in Madeira park is 61 km of winding roads. I was pleased at my riding this time. The last time I went I noticed I was lacked confidence on the really winding bits.....I actually pulled over a couple of times to let others go past me.

This time, however, I felt great. I managed the curves without any problems. I'll guess that the summer of riding has made a difference.

While waiting at the ferry terminal to come home....a fellow on his HD arrived. His 4-way flashers were on. I asked the HD rider beside me if that would drain his battery? He wasn't sure...but he said that he had seen him behind on the highway and his flashers were on all the way.

The flasher guy had walked away and was talking on his cellphone. Finally he came back....he was talking to someone on the phone to try to figure out how to turn off the flashers..... :shock:

Now he and the other guy and I were talking....I asked him if the bike was new...he said he had had it for a year.....

I'm getting to the good part....

:laughing:

He did not know how to turn off the flashers. His help on the phone was going to call him back.....I asked him if he could just take out the fuse.....He didn't know where they were.....I asked him if he disconnected the battery cable it might help....the HD guy beside me agreed that might work....he didn't know where the battery was....the HD guy beside me told him they would be under the seat and that it was easy to take the seat off.....he didn't know how to do that....

Now here were are...me and they guy beside me are thinking there must be something wrong.....because the owner gave us that impression.....

NOPE....I KID YOU NOT...he didn't know there was a switch on the grips for the 4-ways. It was his pal on the phone who called him back to tell him to look.... :laughing:

I'm happy to say my ride ho me was uneventful. :D

blues2cruise

#1433 Unread post by blues2cruise »

It has been several months since I had anything to write...My motorcycle was parked for Winter but when Spring came around I was always tired and unmotivated to do anything. My job sucks the life out of me.

I plan to retire next month. Part of my retirement plan was to sell my townhouse and go travel around the province and wherever else I feel like wandering.

I sold my townhouse. Closing date is near the end of June. Now I'm purging as much as I can...I traded in my car
my car.jpg
my car.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 13965 times

and got a truck.
20160503_145441.jpg
20160503_174415.jpg
because I want to tow a small travel trailer while I explore the province.

I also sold my motorcycle today. :(
Manning Park Day Trip July 2012 010.JPG
I had one last ride on it to deliver it to the person who bought it. It's a good machine but it no longer suits me. I need different ergonomics now. Once I finish with my adventure and get settled again, I can look for another motorcycle. In the meantime I will think fondly of all the rides and places I went on my Vulcan.

Tomorrow I must go get a passport photo. My passport expires this summer. If I want to cross the line to the US I'll need my passport updated.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#1434 Unread post by pchast »

Congratulations on your impending retirement!
Good Roads and a Great Adventure too!
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

blues2cruise

#1435 Unread post by blues2cruise »

pchast wrote:Congratulations on your impending retirement!
Good Roads and a Great Adventure too!
Thank you. It's both scary and exciting at the same time. :)

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#1436 Unread post by jstark47 »

Soooo...... what's up with you? It's been 3 months since you got your truck. Inquiring minds want to know.... :mrgreen:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise

#1437 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Thanks for asking.
I left my townhouse behind on June 25 and have been sort of travelling. I spent the month of July in Victoria house sitting. Daytripping from there.
Then I went to the Sunshine Coast to pick up my mother....I drove her to Penticton to meet the new addition to the family. Her grand daughter (my niece) had a baby girl.
After we left there I drove my mother home and then the next day left for Merritt.

I have a friend who lives in Merritt. We went camping and fishing for a week. Then I went back to the lower mainland and was childminding for two weeks. My sister and partner needed help for the last 2 weeks of August...While looking after the ten year old...I drove to Kamloops with him so he could meet the new baby...his new cousin.
After being with my ten year old nephew for two weeks I have decided to write a novella...titled...10 days with a 10 year old. Genre....Horror. :laughing:

This morning I left my sister's and drove to Quesnel. I am currently in a motel for the night. It was a 7 hour drive today.

I will find some pictures to post. I have a new lap top with Windows 10...ptooey..

I'll get back with pictures shortly.

blues2cruise

#1438 Unread post by blues2cruise »

New baby. 15 days old here.
New baby. 15 days old here.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#1439 Unread post by dr_bar »

Get rid of the Edge browser, bah humbug to that piece of dodo...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

blues2cruise

#1440 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I have been mostly out of cell or internet range. This afternoon I finally got my pictures onto my computer.
Over the next couple of days, I'll resize some and post some.