Shakersteve
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: Honda Forza 300

First Crash

#1 Unread post by Shakersteve »

Bought a new Honda Forza 300 Scooter 3 months ago with almost no forethought or planning (never could change gears with my feet!). First bike ever, age 58. Love it and love riding everywhere. I commute to work in heavy Houston traffic, country roads and small towns on weekends, the interstates, sometimes in the rain, day and night, everywhere. Took the MSF course, got a license and insurance. I was gaining confidence and feeling great, had over 2,500 miles in 10 weeks. I was riding to work, 6 am in the dark on a busy 6 lanes street, and was a little distracted for various reasons and my mind was wandering. Looked off to the side for a moment at 40 or 45 mph, looked back ahead and the car in front had its brake lights on and was way too close. I panicked and think I hit the front brake too hard and the back brake hard as well. To my surprise I lost it to the left and went down very fast, like a rock, and hard to the pavement. My body stopped quickly and I watched the scooter go straight down the lane to a stop. I dont remember skidding, just going down very fast. I fully expected cars behind me to hit me and flatten me like a pancake, but somehow they all stopped. I got up, staggered to my scooter and was able to get it up and off the road. The woman in front of me stopped and walked back to see if I was ok. Drove home, slowly, parked the bike, changed clothes and put bandaids on one knee, and drove to the office and worked all day. I had on all the gear except riding pants. Helmet, gloves, armored riding jacket, Red Wing Boots. I did have 2 broken ribs but that was it. Lucky, could have been worse. What happened? I obviously locked up one of the wheels, not sure which one. Wish I had spent another 600 bucks for ABS. The salesman told me I did not need it! Wrong! I have gotten back in the saddle and practiced controlled fast stops from various speeds and will continue to do so. I also realize the imprtance of ALWAYS looking ahead 4 and 12 seconds. I had plenty of room to do an evasive manuver, but was too inexperienced to do so. 25 days later the broken ribs are finally starting to feel a little better. Bike has some plastic parts skinned up, but I am leaving that as it is to remind me of what to do and what not to do. The Honda dealership said no mechanical damage. Lucky me. This was not much fun. What happened and how do I avoid repeats? I think I know the answer, or at least part of it. Tomorrow I am riding 60 miles to a neighboring small town for fun.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: First Crash

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Steve,

First, Happy Thanksgiving! Second, I'm so glad you managed to sneak way from your first down with a just a couple busted ribs. We should all be so lucky.

Diligent scanning is absolutely one of the best ways to avoid a collision, not just in your situation with a tail-ender but for an awful lot of potential mishaps. And you're on the right track practicing your panic stops. Understanding the limits of your bikes brakes - and how to get the most out of them - is critical when the S hits the fan.

I've never driven in 6am traffic in Houston, but I imagine it's fairly congested. In situations like that, it's important to not be intimidated by the cars behind you and to have respect for the cars in front of you. Increase your following distance until you feel comfortable, and again, keep your head up.

Thanx for sharing your story with us here on TMW, we're glad to have you. Check out these fun threads while you're browsing our forums.

The Riding Game!
Song Title Game!
A or B, Pick One!

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#3 Unread post by gsJack »

I started riding at age 52 Steve and have gone many many miles on motorcycles over the last 30 years but have never ridden a scooter. After riding 230k miles on 4 Hondas with drum rear brakes I bought a GS500 at age 68 with a disc rear brake and when a car jumped like it was pulling out in front of me I locked up the rear brake and low sided that bike in the first month I had it. My guess is that's what happened to you, I took a quick look and see the Forza 300 scooter has a disc rear too but also has linked brakes with a 3rd front piston actuated with with the rear brakes so maybe a front lockup is possible with it. Maybe some scooter riders here will have different opinions on your mishap and will be posting.

Anyway after that low side I spent a whole summer trail braking hard and fast into every curve I saw and never had a rear lockup again in the 15 years and 180k miles I've ridden the GSs which included a lot of hard mountain twistie riding for a few years. So don't give it up, just start working on your hard braking. Use all 3 brakes all the time (front, rear, engine) so that when you need to hit them hard you won't be as likely to lock them up again, front or rear.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

What happened and how do I avoid repeats?
You said it yourself in your post....you weren't paying attention.

Practice makes perfect...or at least better. :)

Get well soon.

:getwellsoon:

ConnieKeefe
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: hawy bike

#5 Unread post by ConnieKeefe »

Welcome to the community!

:welcome2:

I'm sure we can give some advice for you to help you out.