High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

Re: Best Things You Ever Bought for Your Motorcycle Thread

#11 Unread post by High_Side »

totalmotorcycle wrote:For my 82' Yamaha Seca 650R I added Stainless steel brake lines (mix of Russle and Goodrich) and they were the 2nd best upgrade (well, the Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit and K&N pods were probally the best) you could do for the bike.

You can see them here on the front in this photo:

I either forgot or didn't realize that you had that bike painted. I never saw it with the original paint. Who did it for you?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

High_Side wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote: I either forgot or didn't realize that you had that bike painted. I never saw it with the original paint. Who did it for you?
I think you would have seen it, it was done in the winter of 2003. Jim painted it for me with PPG paint. It was painted Corvette red.

The bike really needed it as the sides looked great but the top was badly faded all over.

First day (unrestored)

This was before the paint job (with lots of elbow grease, parts, polish and wax to restore it)

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jaskc78
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#13 Unread post by jaskc78 »

I didn't actually buy it, it came with the bike when I bought it, but the Tallboy seat for my 07 Road Glide. I swear I would have never shelled out the cash for a new seat, and I actually thought the stock seat was pretty damn comfortable, but once I rode it with the Tallboy on it I was 100% convinced that it was the best upgrade on that bike. The performance mods were nice (exhaust, intake, and PCIII), the quick-release passenger backrest and tourpak were both very nice, and the upgraded speakers and amplifier were definitely a noticeable improvement over stock, but hands down that seat was far and away the best upgrade on that bike.

On the Ducati Monster S4RS, it was the Termi exhaust and ECU. Really made that bike come to life in an almost frightening way. I had a chance to test ride a stock S4RS--same year--that is owned by a friend of a friend and after even just a few miles in town I was shaking my head when I got back. World of difference.

On the Ninja 636, I think the best upgrade was the integrated tail light and fender eliminator. Very close between that and the bar end mirrors. Actually, too close to call now that I think about it. I'll call it a tie.

On the R1, the steel braided brake lines. I'd never realized how huge a difference there was between the steel braided and regular brake lines until I rode that bike and the difference was enough that if I hadn't traded the Ninja 636 for that bike, I was ordering a set of brake lines for it as soon as we got back to the shop. Right behind that, though, was the PCIII and retuned engine. Gave it a much better power curve starting right off idle. If he hadn't done that I wouldn't have even been interested because I don't like the way Yamaha tunes their R6 and R1 engines.

On the Victory, the forward contols...but only because I haven't dished out the coin for a new seat. Lack of aftermarket options leaves me with the dealership options and I'm just not that unhappy with it...yet.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#14 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

i'll just throw "best" things in over time...

** Cargo/Bungee net ***

great for commuting -- hides in storage behind/under the seat, in a fanny pack or in a pocket... and allows to you have some decent way to secure stuff on a whim. attaches to the bike or to a pack... you can tie down a piece of non-moto luggage etc...

a cheap item that works very well...
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#15 Unread post by Kingshead »

GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, the custom paint job I designed for the bike and helmet, and my authentic 1920's era pilot goggles.

Last edited by Kingshead on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#16 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

X
Last edited by badinfluence63 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#17 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

IMHO, possibly the best US$10 I've spent on a bike.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#18 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

QuietMonkey wrote:i'll just throw "best" things in over time...

** Cargo/Bungee net ***

great for commuting -- hides in storage behind/under the seat, in a fanny pack or in a pocket... and allows to you have some decent way to secure stuff on a whim. attaches to the bike or to a pack... you can tie down a piece of non-moto luggage etc...

a cheap item that works very well...
I'll agree 101% with that one! Just have to be careful where the hooks for it go as you don't want to rub/scratch the bodywork/paint. (I covered the hooks up with electrical tape to "dull" them)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.