full face vs open face helmet

mgold
Regular
Regular

Re: full face vs open face helmet

#31 Unread post by mgold »

Here is very detailed, and good review of the Shark Modular Helmet. I'll definitely consider buying one of these next time I'm going to buy a Helmet.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... k-evoline/

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#32 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

sunshine229 wrote:These flip-type helmets are an option, but no doubt you will get some flack on here about the safety of them. Whilst all helmets are DOT approved (or equivalent in countries outside of North America), the flip-types are apparently not approved by any addtional agencies. You can take that to mean whatever you like.

I'd still stick with full face if your entire head is important enough to you. You'll get used to wearing it.

:twocents:
Zeus has the first flip-up that meets SNELL standards (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/zeus-hel ... s-zs-3000/), and there could've been others since then. Lots of flip-ups also do well in the UK's sharp rating scheme (http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/), which - handily - also lists % of impacts where the chinguard stays fully locked. Of course, the OP is in NA, which means some of those helmets may not be available.

Still though, even though I've got both a flip-up and a FF helmet, I still feel safer with the latter. It just makes sense that a FF would be more structurally rigid than a flip-up. And my FF is also more comfortable (they tend to be quieter than flip-ups, and my FF has more chin/jaw room than my flip-up). YMMV of course.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#33 Unread post by sunshine229 »

NewGuy wrote:Buying a helmet is, like buying shoes. You shouldn't buy online, because you need the opportunity to try on the helmets and get one that fits you.
I've bought shoes online (runners)... worked out well! :thumbsup: But I absolutely wouldn't buy a helmet online. You can't try it on, plus you never know how well the post office has handled the parcel along the way... :confused2:
Andrea :sun:

wngdweeler
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2007 harley davidson 1200 custom

#34 Unread post by wngdweeler »

let me tell you from experience a full face probably saved my life...
though it was on a sled, i ended up with a jaw that was broken in three places.
you do not want to take 2months of meals through a straw, though its great for
losing weight i do not recommend it, having those wires removed was like flossing with
barbed wire but hey, its just my opinion.

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#35 Unread post by JVRR »

I'm not going to share my original full opinion I typed out. Suffice to say I think too much importance is given to the helmet. You won't see me out there without one, or without a full-face anytime in the foreseeable future... but that being said, you'll never see me buying a new one because it rolled off the desk either.

Anytime you jump on a bike you are accepting a huge amount of risk. I choose to wear a full-face helmet, but that is as much for style reasons as safety. If I am on an open road through Montana on a cruiser, I cannot see myself wearing a full-face (heck on residential roads I cannot stand even having my visor closed on my full-face ).

As I said, anytime you jump on a bike you are accepting a huge amount of risk. I do not in any way intend to single anyone out on these forums (heck, I read very few replies yet to this topic), but in general (mostly from my class) I pick up on this almost superiority against those who wear anything but full-face helmets. As if they are idiots accepting some sort of risk... like getting on a bike with a full-face is a risk-free decision.

I am still (barely :laughing:) 23, so I won't say never... but I cannot see myself ever riding without a helmet, even when legal. And despite my opinions I wear a full-face helmet.

I know what the chart says, and I like the comment someone provided about talking to someone who got in an accident without a full-face. Seattle Police Department issued helmets used to be open faced (now modular). I have talked to probably all (over the years) of my dads co-workers (probably at least 20+ motorcycle cops), all but two of which have been in serious accidents, and I talked to them all just fine.

I don't mean to imply helmets are overrated, they certainly are not. And no one wants to be a statistic. But getting on a bike is an inherently dangerous thing. If you are really a safety above all else individual, you would not be getting on in the first place. It is all about accepting levels of risk.

Oh, and I don't get on my bike planning to crash :wink:.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

waterbuffalo750
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1999 Harley Davidson Night Train FXSTB

#36 Unread post by waterbuffalo750 »

JVRR is absolutely right. There is risk on a motorcycle. Even with your full face helmet on, your next ride can be your last.
I never wear a full face. It takes away too much of what I love about riding. Wind in my face, feeling of freedom, etc. In fact (this'll get me flamed) when I am doing long stretches on the interstate, I won't wear a helmet. If my helmet isn't so tight it makes my jaw hurt, it pulls up and back just a little at those speeds. That is VERY distracting. Plus, the extra wind resistance causes more fatigue and distraction. You guys will say it's because it doesn't fit right, but basic physics say that a helmet will make your head bigger. A bigger head will have more wind resistance. I feel the additional discomfort and fatigue is more dangerous than not wearing a helmet. Besides, what are my odds if I go down at 75-80mph anyway?

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#37 Unread post by Johnj »

Adam, your grasp of physics is incorrect. Wind resistance is a function of drag. Your head has many surfaces at odd angles, with ears hanging out into the slipstream, and hair (may not be a problem for you). A helmet is smooth in comparison. I've ridden, and crashed both with and without a helmet and for my money I now wear the best fullface helmet I can afford.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#38 Unread post by JC Viper »

I had the Nolan N100E and it was the best helmet I've ever used. Felt really secure, comfy and quiet. I also had a few accidents with it but the one accident that forced its retirement was a big one (body hitting ground wise not the bike) and the helmet remained intact. The speed of the accident was nothing to sneeze at either. I would definitely go modular again as it makes it easier at rest stops and those blasted full service stations in New Jersey. I trust Nolan modulars more than I trust this moderate HJC i'm currently rockin'... easily battered by wind and has that cheap creaking noise from somewhere, I would've been happier spending the extra $60 for another Nolan.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#39 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Shuberth modular ftw, shark EVO as a close second.

-iPhoned
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

noobie
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit

#40 Unread post by noobie »

I went from dirt bikes to street bikes - I've never worn anything short of a full-face. But, I get the peripheral vision thing! I sometimes contemplate buying a motocross style helmet because I think I could see better with it. Maybe it's just my imagination. Besides, a dirt bike helmet on a cruiser will probably look really stupid... now I'm just mumbling to myself.
Anyway, full-face is warmer and no rain, wind or bugs :)

Noobie