My baby broke today

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#11 Unread post by Amdonim »

I agree, shaft drives are where it's at. I definitely don't miss having to walk my bike down the street to lube the chain. Or scrubbing slung-off lube from the frame rails. My shaft has now over 50k miles, and not a problem yet.

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#12 Unread post by High_Side »

ceemes wrote:
High_Side wrote:Sorry to hear about your bad luck BUT, you need to get yourself a nice reliable chain to drive your next bike :P Shaft drive: who needs the maintenance????? :mrgreen:

I won't mention the chain that I replaced on the kids dirt-bike this afternoon....
This is the first shafty I've ever had, all the others were chain drive.......nothing like spending the afternoon replacing the rear wheel spocket and chain in the pouring rain after have a link split on you.....mind you, that happened mainly on my old courier bikes......back in the day, I'd put on more miles in a week then most weekend warriors would put on in a year......heavy stop and go city dispatch riding day in and day out, sun, rain or snow can take a heavy toll on any bike.....I always figured if I got a years service out of a courier bike, I was doing good.
My kidding was in jest for the shaft-drive crowd who always like to point out how low-maintenance their rides are every time someone mentions chain problems. :mrgreen: All the bikes in my garage right now are chain drive but I wouldn't rule out a shafty in the future. Most of the newer shafties have a minimal effect on handling and are 95% less maintenance. You had trouble with yours but after 27 years, it's about due.
Now that chain driven FJ that Buzz has for sale, might be a good reason to back to a chain......

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#13 Unread post by BuzZz »

My FJ chain has about 10 000 fairly tough miles on it.... even for a 530 on a mid HP bike, I've done my best to make it longer... :mrgreen:

Anyways.... I won't sell you my bike, Ceemes. A slight personal hang-up I got from my Dad, I won't sell a vehicle to someone I know and like. If something on the bike broke after I sold it, I would feel guilty. And the poor thing is almost 20 years old, things are bound to start going south here and there.

But if you wanted to come and look at bikes in Edmonton, you could ride it all you like.... :wink:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#14 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

High_Side wrote:Sorry to hear about your bad luck BUT, you need to get yourself a nice reliable chain to drive your next bike :P Shaft drive: who needs the maintenance????? :mrgreen:

I won't mention the chain that I replaced on the kids dirt-bike this afternoon....
:doh1:
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009