My baby broke today

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

My baby broke today

#1 Unread post by ceemes »

Sigh, knew it was just a matter of time, the clunking coming from the drive shaft has been getting progressively worse and I had the shop that looks after my baby pricing out the cost of a replacement. C$300 from Honda, but no longer in production nor available.

Today I pulled onto Hwy 17 from 56th Street and then came the sickening sound of grinding gears, at first I thought I trashed the gearbox... but nope, its the drive shaft, seems it became slightly disconnected from the transmission. Got it home okay, took the bus to work, half an hour late, called the shop and they have a used shaft out of a Magma of the same era and are looking to see if it can be used on my Sabre.

No riding for me for at least a week.....sigh
Always ask why.

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#2 Unread post by Amdonim »

Sucks man. We're in the same boat right now. I wait anxiously every day for a phone call.

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#3 Unread post by jaskc78 »

glad to hear you're alright, Ceemes, but sorry to hear about the bike. here's hoping you're back to riding sooner rather than later.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

Velocity
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by Velocity »

This is why I'd like to own more than one bike. It gives you another to ride if one's in the shop.
Current ride: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

Velocity wrote:This is why I'd like to own more than one bike. It gives you another to ride if one's in the shop.
I am looking to buy another bike for the spring, if I can save up the required amount of tradeable beer tokens. As it is, the Magma shaft is compatible with my Sabre, so off to the shop with her this weekend. Charging me C$150 for the shaft, not bad and they figure between C$150 to C$200 in labour costs, as long as I haven't damaged anything else. If so, anyone want to by a nice Sabre parts bike?
Always ask why.

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#6 Unread post by fireguzzi »

What other bike are ya thinking about? (or aboot as you might say)

I think that avatar pic would look good updated with a brand new vmax.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#7 Unread post by High_Side »

Sorry to hear about your bad luck BUT, you need to get yourself a nice reliable chain to drive your next bike :P Shaft drive: who needs the maintenance????? :mrgreen:

I won't mention the chain that I replaced on the kids dirt-bike this afternoon....

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#8 Unread post by ceemes »

fireguzzi wrote:What other bike are ya thinking about? (or aboot as you might say)

I think that avatar pic would look good updated with a brand new vmax.
Nah, if I wanted a Vmax type of bike, I would of opted for the Magna instead of the Sabre....right now I am trusting after a Triumph Sprint ST......but if I recall correctly, I think Buzz has a used bike up for sale......should give him a shout.
Always ask why.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#9 Unread post by ceemes »

High_Side wrote:Sorry to hear about your bad luck BUT, you need to get yourself a nice reliable chain to drive your next bike :P Shaft drive: who needs the maintenance????? :mrgreen:

I won't mention the chain that I replaced on the kids dirt-bike this afternoon....
This is the first shafty I've ever had, all the others were chain drive.......nothing like spending the afternoon replacing the rear wheel spocket and chain in the pouring rain after have a link split on you.....mind you, that happened mainly on my old courier bikes......back in the day, I'd put on more miles in a week then most weekend warriors would put on in a year......heavy stop and go city dispatch riding day in and day out, sun, rain or snow can take a heavy toll on any bike.....I always figured if I got a years service out of a courier bike, I was doing good.
Always ask why.

GLsouris
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by GLsouris »

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Myself I like shaft drive over chain any day. The filth and constant maint of chain drive turned me off years ago. One thing I have found though is that most dealers don't have a clue about what lube is suposed to be used on the final drive, and that has a huge impact on the shaft life. Honda says moly 60 is what to use and I phoned 6 seperate Honda dealers and not one new what moly 60 even was. I got my moly paste from Aclands and it was made by Locktite.
Larry