A day in the life of a female parts counterman....

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

Make sure you wash your eye out really good! Feel better...

MotorcykleAsh
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by MotorcykleAsh »

OK...so, it's been a day since I've written anything from work.....

first off, my eye is back to 100% (phew)....thanks for the good wishes....

second, the job has been nuts lately...I guess cause its the summer, everyones tryin to get new bikes because of the crazy gas prices and the rest of the people are keeping their kids occupied with dirt bikes istead if nintendo...and then there are the people who feel that streetbikes are too dangerous and get new supercharged sea-doos (hhmmm...go figure that one out!!).....
so, today, I started off in a great mood....sellin all kinds of good stuff, had a great customer that took my word for everything and ordered a bunch of high performance stuff for his GSXR 1000 (sport bike accessories are my thing :wink: )....sold him $3k worth of stuff....
then this older gentleman comes in.....he's wearing a plaid button down shirt tucked into his blue docker type shorts, white tube sock and some old cruddy looking Payless type sneakers.....he has a bald spot on the top of his head but manages to have a 4 inch pony tail.....
I walk up to him "hi sir, you need some help with the jackets?"..."yeah, sure...I was just trying on that joe rocket mesh and I just don't think it will suit me...this one seems kind of nice"....."yes, this is the tourmaster cortex mesh jacket, we just got these in....and for a price of $129 you get a 3 part jacket with all the bells and whistles...it's really nice"....
I swear to you guys...I spent OVER AN HOUR with this guy.....we took apart both the Medium and Large jackets....he tried each one on with each of the layers in and out....he ever quoted on the fact that each layer had a pocket for his "harmonica" (it was the cell phone pocket).....after ALLLLLL of that....he asked me the best price I could give him and I told him $115.00......
you know, it's my job to explain my products to people....and its my job to make sure they feel satisfied with the product as well as my service to them....BUT COME ON......he freakin looks me dead in the eye and says "ok, well thank you....I might come back next week to get it, I think I saw it online cheaper"....before I could even ask him the "cheaper" price to see if I could match it he left me standing there with the 14 layers of jackets, 2 hangers and a stunned look on my face.....

oh well, it takes all kinds, right?

other then that...I had a couple nice discussions are jetting and tuning of fuel injection....(that kind of talk really makes my day (silly, I know)....

hope you all have a great Sunday....until next time, ride safe!!!!
If today is not your day.....make it your day!!

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#13 Unread post by CNF2002 »

Just out of curiosity do you work on commission?

I've never gone into a store and tried to haggle like that. 'Best price'? The price is the one on the tag. Want a deal? Go to the sale rack.

I'm sure he found it cheaper online. And after paying $20 shipping and waiting 2 weeks, he probably saved himself 10 bucks.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

MotorcykleAsh
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by MotorcykleAsh »

yes, I work on commision, but I don't let that be seen through my sales technics.....

my boss always says, when someone comes in for an oil filter, try to sell them an exhaust......WHAT???!@?! NO NO NO.....I wouldn't want someone doing that to me when I go to buy something simple somewhere....I would never go back to tht place.....

don't get me wrong...there are definate ways to upsell people on certain things, but I refuse to sell someone something that I don't really know what I'm talking about or sell someone something that really isn't going to work.....

the other day I heard one of the other parts counter guys tell a customer that the engine ice will decrease his temp by 50 degrees....50 DEGREES!!!! are you serious???? so when the guy goes home and his temp goes down by 5 or 10 degrees, he will not go back to you unless he feels like complaining about the lies you told him!!!!

oh well, I guess everyone has their own sales tactics..........
If today is not your day.....make it your day!!

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#15 Unread post by CNF2002 »

I dont mind when salespeople try to upsell on a product I want. Like if I was going to buy a Fram oilfilter, they recommend I buy the Mobil1 filter instead.

No one wants to go shopping and have salespeople try to hard-sell them everything under the sun. It gets to the point where you want to avoid the salesmen entirely. Then, after 5 minutes of telling them "no, no, no" they get mad and, if the salesman is also your cashier geez...they have an attitude until you leave the store.

They even have the cashiers doing it everywhere. I like those self-checkout lanes because I dont have to deal with rude, grumpy cashiers who want to sell me a $30 inhouse warranty on a $50 VCR. Or Target...where they force their cashiers to ask you to sign up for a credit card everytime you buy something. The worst is when the supervisors (they have quotas for the day of signups to get) make them hardsell the credit cards. I once had a guy nearly get into an argument with me trying to force me into a credit card so I could save 10% on my DVD purchase.
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]