Dual Purpose Bike for Newbie

Nate
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Dual Purpose Bike for Newbie

#1 Unread post by Nate »

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this should be in this forum or the beginning rider forum. I'm looking for a dual purpose bike to learn how to ride. I passed the MSF rider course, but have less than 20 hours total riding experience. I'd like to hone my skills off road before heading out on the street.

Basically, I'm looking for recomended bikes. I started looking, but realize I don't know enough to buy the right bike yet. I'd like a four-stroke, but that's all I really know. That and I'm not looking for anything too new as I'd like to keep the price reasonable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nate

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#2 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

The think about dual-sports (IMO) is that the ones that are good for on road are a bit much for a noobie off road. There's a reason why you don't give a beginer a XR650R and tell him/her to go tear up a trail. That being said, a Honda XR650L wouldn't be a bad choice. It's the older version of the R, just with a lighting kit on it. Yes, as far as dirtbikes go, it is heavy, the tires aren't the greatest, and if you've got short legs, good luck flat footing, all things that are monumentally important for anything other that cruising down a logging trail. Which is really where you should start offroading first. I spent a few days in the back yard on my XR200R before getting to the trails around home. Just like you wouldn't throw a noob on a street bike onto a super slab.

Some options for you:
Honda XR650L - Of the 650cc dual-sports, this one is best off-road. The con to that, is that it's not the greatest ON road. It'll perform fine, but the ride will be a little rough.

Kawasaki KLR650 - TONS of aftermarket IIRC (Gadjet would be the one to ask :wink: ) Performs well on road and makes a good tourer if you're so inclined, thanks to the heavier weight (more stability at speed) and larger gas tank (longer range). However, those two things make it a little rougher offroad where you want light and narrow.

Yamaha's 200 and 225 - If you were of smaller stature, I'd recomend the TTR-225 to you, but that's a straight up dirt bike. The dual sport version, is the same dirtbike, with lights. It (and the 200) would be the easiest to start off-road on. They're small bikes, and small bikes are easier to play with at first, regardless of style or where you're riding. I, personally, wouldn't want either as I dwarf them in size, but that's a comfort thing for me. A 200 WILL get you moving fast enough to get you in trouble. Trust me, I learned that one on my XR200R.

When it comes down to it, the Yamahas will be the easiest to start on, the Honda won't let you down off road, and the Kawasaki will take you cross country on dirt roads. As for Suzuki's offerings, I know nothing of them, so I couldn't compare them, sorry.

Just remember, the Honda and Kawasaki are BIG bikes, make sure you fit them and prepared to pick them out of the mud if you drop them off-road.

Now, if you want a straight up dirtbike, I'd go with a 250cc Enduro such as the CRF250X, assuming you like the feel. Remember, you'll want to be able to touch the ground, the 250's are somewhat tall as well.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Nate
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Nate »

Geoff,

Thanks for the response. I think I'm leaning towards the Honda XRs although I was thinking about a 250 as opposed to a 650. I am 6 ft. so I need a bike that isn't to small size-wise. Someone else mentioned those to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Suzuki DRs?

Nate

invader
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by invader »

Suzuki's DRZ400S at $5600 would probably be your best choice. It is the best available dual-purpose being lighter (291 lbs) and as powerful as the 650's, with liquid cooling, better suspensions and a 36.8" seat height...
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/DR ... fault.aspx
Kawasaki's new KLX™250S at $4800 is very interesting too, also with a liquid-cooled 4-stroke engine and 11+ inches of suspension, but lighter at 262 lbs with a 34.8" seat height.
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail ... ifications

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#5 Unread post by flw »

I almost bought a dual purpose bike but since 99% of my riding would be on the road, I went with a bike made for the road only.

I trained on a Yamaha 200 dual purpose and it was great. Easy in city traffic or on the trail. Just because a bike is made to trail ride does not mean its also required of the rider to race it on a trail. The downside of the Yamaha I had was due to its engine power it would not easily handle the high speed roads that connect the towns in my rural area. Its also light weight, which is nice on the trail but not so nice on the gusty road.

If you want a dual purpose and will use it off road more than I would have, I would suggest the Kawasaki KLR650 as another post has as well. Its going to due 65 with no issue and is similar in sensitivity to gusts as my Kawasaki VN500.

I still have some thoughts that I should have bought the dual purpose as that's what I started with in high school almost 30 years ago and enjoy a friends at the moment.

The basic MSF course only weakly applies to off road, as it should, since its designed for on road riders. It does a good job as a on the road starting point only. As someone else here said "Your qualified to ride in a parking lot". You have to take it from there always leaving an additional safety margin due to your new status.

This is my opinion only and I'm sure will differ with others.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

invader
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by invader »

On that note, a good street 250 to start with is Kawasaki's Ninja® 250R for only $2999. Easy to handle at only 304 lbs, and well equipped with full fairing and a four-stroke liquid-cooled DOHC parallel twin.
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail ... nt=details

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#7 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

invader wrote:Suzuki's DRZ400S at $5600 would probably be your best choice. It is the best available dual-purpose being lighter (291 lbs) and as powerful as the 650's, with liquid cooling, better suspensions and a 36.8" seat height...
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/DR ... fault.aspx
Kawasaki's new KLX™250S at $4800 is very interesting too, also with a liquid-cooled 4-stroke engine and 11+ inches of suspension, but lighter at 262 lbs with a 34.8" seat height.
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail ... ifications
I personally wouldn't get either of those, just based on the fact that they're liquid cooled. I've almost destroyed a KX250's radiator once as it is, and I'm sure I woulda destroyed it if my XR200R actually had one. Me and the ground know each other quite well :laughing:
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Media Weasel
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by Media Weasel »

Ninja Geoff wrote: Kawasaki KLR650 - TONS of aftermarket IIRC (Gadjet would be the one to ask :wink: ) Performs well on road and makes a good tourer if you're so inclined, thanks to the heavier weight (more stability at speed) and larger gas tank (longer range). However, those two things make it a little rougher offroad where you want light and narrow.
That's what I was thinking - that the KLR is a pretty decent starting point. I ride a DL650 (v-strom lite) and seriously believe it to be just a bit of a challenge for a new rider. I'm new to bikes, but came into things with a fair bit of scotter riding experience, and a chunk of time on bicycles as well.

In my mind, the v-twin is a bit too potent (that's 64 hp at hand) in the hands of a new, raw rookie. I think the thumper's (KLR) power is also going to be a bit more forgiving, with a bit of low-end torque to help with starts, (etc.)

I think Suzuki makes a beast - Drz400? that's kinda like a watered-down KLR. May be an option?

vt_motokid
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by vt_motokid »

big bikes + newbs = bad news

Duffy
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by Duffy »

I know this is kinda late, but why didn't anyone mention the BMW 600GS? When I was looking to buy a bike I wanted a dual and would have gotton that one, but it ended up being out of my price range.