Throttle problems

sp4d3r
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Throttle problems

#1 Unread post by sp4d3r »

[/b] Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I came back from a ride on my 1991 Yamaha RT 180 and my throttle seemed stiff. Next day I go to try it and it barely works, doesn't twist all the way down and even sticks at high revs when the bike is on. Can anyone help me or give me info to try and fix this problem? thanks.
yo

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Throttle problems

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

sp4d3r wrote:[/b] Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I came back from a ride on my 1991 Yamaha RT 180 and my throttle seemed stiff. Next day I go to try it and it barely works, doesn't twist all the way down and even sticks at high revs when the bike is on. Can anyone help me or give me info to try and fix this problem? thanks.
Might be a simple fix if it's your throttle cable sticking. You can try the poor man's way of fixing it by buying a cable luber (about $5) and a can of WD-40, Liquid Wrench or simular and spraying it really well. Or replace the cable. :D

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sp4d3r
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by sp4d3r »

It's not that my throttle is litterly sticking, my throttle would be "off" and the bike would still be reving high. I adjusted the idle speed before this happend so maybe that got turned? :?
yo

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

Something is probably sticking. Either the inner cable or the slide in the carb itself.

But if you adjusted the idle, and either set it too high or adjusted the airscrew instead of the idle screw, it could be that. Almost sounds like the air screw was set too lean, this can could the motor to race when it is unloaded.
No Witnesses.... :shifty: