dual sport capabilities?

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#31 Unread post by MotoF150 »

Im getting tired of saying this, but when ur riding ur bike off road and you ride over a log and flip over, dump the bike, I hope ur strong enough or you have some friends around to help you pick up ur bike or ur going to have a long walk home. The 650's are too heavy and nobody is strong enough to pick them up themself.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

Duffy
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#32 Unread post by Duffy »

Thanks for responding. I see your point. But, l was under the impression that dirt bikes were lighter their thier street conterparts. And I could fall off any bike (street or dirt) and I could dump it anywhere too. I am more worried about not breaking anything (myself and/or my bike) than picking it up. I am no weakling. I handle heavy furniture all day at my job (warehouse shipping dock) been doing it for 12 years and I am a regurlar at my gym (cardio and strength training) I believe I read that the BMW650 was around 350-400lbs (depending on fuel too) I really have my heart set on a dual. I still have a bit of the tomboy in me to go off roading. I want to make sure I can manuever it well enough, so I was worried about ground clearance. And no one ever mentions..well barely anyway the brand I am looking at so I wasn't sure if there was a reason why people here don't purchase them. Is it cuz for a dirt bike they are more expensive...or do they have mechanical issues, or they just crap.

As a side note, I'll ask this. What 'dual' bike would any readers suggest be best for a
1) beginner, that won't get bored of it after a year or so.
2) that is vertically challenged
3) dependable
4) not really expensive new or used
5) easy on the eyes

I also apologize in advance if I am rehashing already covered ground. This site is awfully big with alot of topics. I have been reading posts for a week or so now and haven't even made a dent in it. I just tried to find the topic that most relates to my query. I am still learnig alot from it from things that I would never have dawned on me till the situation arose from my own experience, and I would rather be prepared.

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#33 Unread post by Gadjet »

MotoF150 wrote:Im getting tired of saying this, but when ur riding ur bike off road and you ride over a log and flip over, dump the bike, I hope ur strong enough or you have some friends around to help you pick up ur bike or ur going to have a long walk home. The 650's are too heavy and nobody is strong enough to pick them up themself.
Hi, my name is Nobody, I'm 5'8", 150lbs, and I own a 2005 KLR650.

fully loaded for touring/camping, my bike weighs over 500lbs, and I have no problems whatsoever picking it up by myself.

Pay no attention to Moto's posts - he has no clue what he is talking about.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#34 Unread post by MotoF150 »

It takes all I have to pick up a DRZ400, im not strong enough to pick up any bike heavier than that
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#35 Unread post by Gadjet »

MotoF150 wrote:It takes all I have to pick up a DRZ400, im not strong enough to pick up any bike heavier than that
it may just be your technique. The easiest way to pick up a fallen bike is to crouch down beside it, back to the bike. Grab the left grip with your right hand and tuck it in as close to your body as you can, and grab the passenger grab bar/subframe/solid bit on the back of the bike with your left hand. Now start to walk backwards while lifting up the bike. The bike should lever up off the ground with ease. Once you have it up almost level, find the sidestand with your foot and swing it down, set the bike on the sidestand and you're done.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#36 Unread post by paul246 »

No problem picking mine up, have had plenty of opportunties, too. I will admit it is a bit tougher to do when you are standing in a muck hole..heh..heh.

As you can see I'm in my 50's and not exactly the Incredible Hulk. It's simply technique.

There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

arvindwilliam
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: dual sport capabilities?

#37 Unread post by arvindwilliam »

I just swapped my 450 EXC on a 250 and I can not believe what I gray I drove. I live about 20 minutes from mountain trails Danskin and range from 100 to 250 miles I will ride there. I trailer last night and drove 45 miles after entering the trail system. I can get out of my garage and be on the ground a few miles.