Honda XL100 wiring problems

pianomanbj
Rookie
Rookie

Honda XL100 wiring problems

#1 Unread post by pianomanbj »

Hey everybody...I'm new to the forum! I have a 1981 Honda xl100 trailbike and it runs great. When I got the bike it didn't have blinkers on it, and did not have a battery. The Honda XL100 is an onroad offroad bike, so evidently the person before me wanted it an offroad bike. The way the bike is set up right now, it runs without a battery and does not have the blinkers on. I am wanting to wire the lights back up and want to put the battery back on, but I am having problems. When I check the voltage from the connectors to the blinkers instead of 6volts I have about 12-14 volts. Apparently when they rewired it to run without a battery (possibly?) the voltage went up because the power is coming from the magnito. So, basically when you rev the engine up the head light brightens....obviously because of the power increase. My question is how is it that the bike could come up with so much voltage. What could be the possible wiring errors, and any ideas on how to fix it. I went by the honda shop and they copied a wiring diagram for me, and as far as I can tell the wiring looks correct, minus the battery. That is what I can't figure out. How could it be pulling double voltage without the battery even being attached. According to the diagram the power from the magnito goes to the rectifier. If I understand correctly the rectifier converts power. Could it be that the rectifier is not working. Thanks for any and all help!

niterider
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by niterider »

Have you considerd that this is a 12volt system??? and that what you need is a 12 volt battery.
1993 750 Vulcan
one seater
ear shave, pod filters
rear turn signal relocation
lowered rear 2" soft tail
converted to manuel cam chain tensioner
horn relocation

pianomanbj
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by pianomanbj »

well I thought about keeping it 12 volts, but I would need to get new 12 volt blinker lights, change the 6volt blinker switch to 12volts. But the thing is, the voltage changes as you rev the engine, so when you are driving fast the blinkers would blink fast, vice versa... Maybe the 12volt battery would fix that... But it's supposed to be a 6volt system-- every component says 6volts, but for some reason I'm getting 12....

niterider
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by niterider »

No a 12 volt batt will not fix every thing. It will probably burn every thing. Install a 6 volt batt and go from there. The regulator is another place to start checking.
1993 750 Vulcan
one seater
ear shave, pod filters
rear turn signal relocation
lowered rear 2" soft tail
converted to manuel cam chain tensioner
horn relocation

pianomanbj
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by pianomanbj »

Update:

I have figured out why there is 12 volts. I checked the voltage coming from the alternator, 6volts (AC). Voltage coming out of the rectifier 6volts (DC). Now if I put the brake on (Brake light on) and I check the voltage going to the blinkers, it's 6 volts. So far it's good...it's not what I was reading the other day.... Now when the brake light is off, the voltage to the blinker goes to 12 volts. I assume then that the blinkers and brake light are somehow connected. In addition to this problem I discoverd that when I have the back blinker hooked up the brake light flashes instead of the back blinker light. But if I plug the blinker in the front the break light doesn't blink... Very strange. I guess I'm going to take it to the shop and see if they can make any sense of it. I'm glad that it's not getting 12 volts all over, but still don't know what's wrong! lol Thanks for the input!