Bike Size for Child

MikeMc
Rookie
Rookie

Bike Size for Child

#1 Unread post by MikeMc »

I've been racing motox since '85 but now it's time to get a bike for my 12 y/o and I'm clueless. I'm not going to let him race so this will be a trail bike and I don't want him to out grow it in a year. How do you figure out what the right size is for a child? I'm biased towards Honda CRFs but 70/80/100/150. I have no idea.

Ladymx
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Ladymx »

Its hard to say if he will grow out of a bike in a year or not depending on how confident he ends up being on it and how much he grows in the next year. If he has never ridden, he will most likely want to be able to touch the ground, but it is also a good age to get started with a bike that is a bit tall for him too. Has your son sat on any of the bikes? What does he feel comfortable on?

High_Side
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#3 Unread post by High_Side »

He is at the age that he is going to grow. The 100 could be enough for this year and maybe a couple of more....then he is going to want more! Can't blame him :laughing:

MikeMc
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by MikeMc »

He's never rode beside on my bike with me. He doesn't know about this yet so he hasn't sat on any bike. He's a little bit small for his age but we'll see how he feels sitting on the 150. Thanks.

icariz83
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by icariz83 »

If he can get his foot down on one side he should be good. If he hasn't grown yet then he will soon so find something he can get at least a foot down on and it will last more than 1 summer.