#371: This or That? 2006 Ducati GT1000 (WINNER) vs 2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black

This or That. Pick Only One. One will leave as Champion, the other in shame. YOU CHOOSE.

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#371: This or That? 2006 Ducati GT1000 (WINNER) vs 2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

THIS? OR THAT! on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

Pick One. One will leave as Champion, the other in shame.

Week #371. Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadies and gentlemen, may I have your attention!

Last week the 2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour was defeated to the retro classic 2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black; thus I needed to give the 2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black a retro classic challenge, enter the rare 2006 Ducati GT1000! I know alteast 1 member of our community that has owned one (looking at you High_Side). Did you know they made the GT1000 from 2004 to 2010?

Let's have a clean fight and no hitting below the airbox.

2006 Ducati GT1000 - vs - 2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black

THIS:
2006 Ducati GT1000
Information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/ ... ati-GT1000

CLASSIC STYLING WITH MODERN PERFORMANCE

Back in 1971 the GT was a bike to be ridden every day, it combined sport bike and touring features in a balanced and beautiful Italian package. With a dual seat and single headlamp, it was an essential motorcycle, much like today’s “naked” or “traditional” motorcycles. It was a commonsense motorcycle, but its beauty was uncommon. The L-Twin engine was left fully exposed to flaunt its elegant features. Dual chrome silencers swept rearward accenting the attractive lines of the bike. Everyday performance was never so well executed. Until now.

Although classically styled, the 2006 GT1000 is engineered to deliver modern Ducati road performance. With its comfortable two-up riding position and confident handling, it is perfect for the daily commute or a weekend trip to the mountains. Powering the GT is the 1000 DS engine, the most advanced, most powerful Ducati air-cooled engine ever.

In the Gran Turismo Tradition

OR
THAT:
2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black
Information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... ack-review

2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black:

STUNNING CUSTOM STYLE – beautifully styled minimalism with a distinctive stripped-back look. Elegantly engineered floating single seat pan, wide flat bars and Bobbed hard tail. Category defining capability and rider technology, for maximum control and comfort. A genuine Bobber ride – without compromise.

Following the overwhelming success of the Bonneville Bobber – the fastest selling motorcycle in Triumph’s 115-year history, the company has taken the model to new heights for the 2018 model year, with the darker, meaner and stronger Bonneville Bobber Black.

STRIPPED. BOBBED. BONNIES
The Bonneville Bobber range is now even bigger with the introduction of the ALL NEW MEANER AND HIGHER SPECIFICATION BONNEVILLE BOBBER BLACK. Innovative, thrilling and beautiful, our Bonneville Bobber’s are thoroughbred custom classics that cleverly combine elegant engineering and category-leading capability, with an unparalleled heritage and thrilling hot rod ride and sound.

Both the Bobber and Bobber Black are beautifully hand crafted and deliver all the hallmarks of a genuine Triumph Bobber with timeless Bonneville DNA, stripped-back style, engineering innovation, low seat height, unique detailing and classic Bobber silhouette.

At the heart of each model you’ll find a category-leading, high-torque Bonneville 1200cc engine with a dedicated Bobber tune, for more torque and power lower down than the Bonneville T120. This is all backed-up by a dynamic, agile riding experience, delivered by high specification suspension and a host of rider-focused-technology, including Road and Rain Riding Modes, switchable traction control, torque-assist clutch, heated grips, ABS, an immobiliser, a high 10,000 mile/ 16,000km first major service interval and, on the Bobber Black, an intuitive single button cruise control.

ALL NEW BONNEVILLE BOBBER BLACK

The winner of this week's THIS OR THAT will go on and fight the challenger next week. The overall winners will be determined how many weeks they can beat the competition.

Enjoy!
Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: #371: This or That? 2006 Ducati GT1000 vs 2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I am going to run this for another week as I think I confused people with the two "this weeks" topics at the same time...

This one is this weeks current THIS or THAT.

Sorry about that. :)

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: #371: This or That? 2006 Ducati GT1000 vs 2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black

#3 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Ducati. The bobber looks good from the tank forward. That seat though. This bike screams hipster douche bag. I’m more voting against the bobber then for the Ducati I guess. Lol
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#4 Unread post by markdcoco »

The difficulty I'm having with this one is comparing a current model (Triumph Bobber Black) to a piece of history (Ducati GT1000). Things change so fast in the industry that bikes kind of age like dogs... that is the Ducati is about 77 year old technology and styling. I guess if we were to fast-forward the GT1000 to today we'd have either a Scrambler Sport of a XDiavel. I think the XDiavel would knock off the Triumph, the Scrambler Sport, not so much. So what am I saying here? I have absolutely no idea. I have a soft spot in my heart for Ducati(s), but this old world styling just doesn't work for me. Does that make me a 'Hipster Douchebag'? I was forced to search out that terminology and was amused to find the following:
hipster.jpg
hipster.jpg (44.4 KiB) Viewed 13256 times

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wow, talk about a close one! I don't think you could go wrong with either bike, both have their charms, the 2006 Ducati GT1000 is old though and from what High_Side has told me about the bike, it isn't a "gem" mechanically, as it is more of a "gem" ascetically and sound wise. I have to split hairs here go with the looks of the 2006 Ducati GT1000 over the form and function of the 2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black, knowing full well the 2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black is the mechanically superior of the two motorcycles... sometimes superior mechanics and reliability are just not enough to win head over heart or I guess we would all be driving the same car!

Wow, what a decision.

Still, I'd be very happy with either one.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: #371: This or That? 2006 Ducati GT1000 (WINNER) vs 2018 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

So, let me know what you though about having an older bike in the THIS OR THAT rather than just new models. :)

Q. Would you like to see more older bikes? (0-5 years old? 5-10, 10-20 years old? 20+?)
Q. Would you like to see other categories of bikes (dirt, competition, racing, off-road)?

Happy Friday!

Mike