Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#352: 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 - Coolness Factor = 71.4%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... 701-review

A POWERFUL URBAN ICON.

2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 Review on Totalmotorcycle.com:

The VITPILEN 701 is an immaculately designed street bike that offers a new perspective on urban motorcycling. Driven by a powerful single-cylinder engine, this compact and agile motorcycle is expertly crafted to deliver minimalist styling with exceptional performance and reduced to the bare essence of what a motorcycle should be. Created to suit the unique, progressive lifestyle of modern motorcycling, it delivers a more thrilling, honest and real bike experience.
The Husqvarna SVARTPILEN 701, a dark street explorer that is free of excess and reduced to its simplest form. This bike aims to appeal to an entirely new generation of motorcycle users. It’s for those less interested in the hype and hyperbole of modern day motorcycling and who prefer a simpler, timeless design approach. Its technologically advanced 4-stroke single-cylinder 692.7 cc engine is housed in an incredibly stripped down but progressive layout that offers excellent performance. It doesn’t need to be pigeon-holed or categorised – it just needs to be ridden. It is so simple and obvious that just by looking at it, any free-thinking rider should know exactly what it is intended to do. Ultimately, it’s as approachable as a motorcycle can be, it’s honest, and is there to be ridden by anyone wanting a raw and exhilarating riding experience.

A progressive street roadster that was designed to reflect the attitude and styling of a more modern and freethinking breed of rider. The design solution was to create a naked street bike to mark Husqvarna Motorcycles’ logical return to street motorcycling. This design driven, yet high-performing, motorcycle reveals the potential of the brand’s future vision. Its uniqueness is not limited to the aesthetics, although this will be instantly notable from the raw, natural and intuitive experience of riding it. Something fresh in the world of motorcycling was long overdue and using this as motivation, the brand set out to create a motorcycle that captures the timeless thrill of the ride by creating something functional, practical and simple.

Forget everything you know about contemporary street motorcycles, the VITPILEN range is innovative and progressive. Developed with a fresh perspective, reduced, pure and without industry influence, these motorcycles challenge all current design trends and use a clean, smart and less complicated way of creating a motorcycle. The simple yet progressive design approach is a thought provoking paradox where simplicity, ease-of-use and functionality meet innovative design and attention to detail.

A PURE AND AUTHENTIC RIDING EXPERIENCE
The VITPILEN range is a definitive and bold statement, which exhibits Husqvarna Motorcycles´ never-ending quest to pioneer new territory. Simply put, the VITPILEN aims at stripping away all unnecessary gimmicks and presents a motorcycle in its purest form. Their uniqueness is however not limited to aesthetics, as the designers set out to create a motorcycle that captures the thrill of the ride which is instantly felt in the raw, natural and intuitive riding experience.

2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $ See Dealer for Pricing in USD
Canada MSRP Price: $ See Dealer for Pricing in CDN

ENGINE

DESIGN

1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine

DISPLACEMENT

692.7 cm³

BORE

105 mm

STROKE

80 mm

POWER IN KW

55 kW

STARTER

Electric starter

LUBRICATION

Forced oil lubrication with 2 oil pumps

TRANSMISSION

6-speed

PRIMARY DRIVE

36:79

COOLING

Liquid cooled

CLUTCH

APTC(TM) slipper clutch, hydraulically actuated

EMS

Keihin EMS with RBW, twin ignition

CHASSIS

FRAME DESIGN

Chromium-Molybdenum steel trellis frame, powder coated

FRONT SUSPENSION

WP upside-down Ø 43 mm

REAR SUSPENSION

WP shock absorber with linkage

SUSPENSION TRAVEL (FRONT)

135 mm

SUSPENSION TRAVEL (REAR)

135 mm

FRONT BRAKE

2 x Brembo four-piston radial fixed calliper, brake discs, floating

REAR BRAKE

Single-piston floating calliper

FRONT BRAKE DISC DIAMETER

320 mm

REAR BRAKE DISC DIAMETER

240 mm

ABS

Bosch 9M+ two-channel ABS (disengageable)

STEERING HEAD ANGLE

65 °

GROUND CLEARANCE

140 mm

SEAT HEIGHT

830 mm

TANK CAPACITY (APPROX.)

12 l

For MORE information and Photos click here: https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcy ... 701-review
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: #352: 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 - VOTE TODAY

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Brand new from Husqvarna! 3 New Street bikes.

The 2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 is the "big boy" of the 3. What do you think?

BTW - Due to upgrading the site with Cloudflare CDN, users may experience issues logging in and out. I am working on this issue to have it fixed asap.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Note: Last week's cool wall was a little light on replies and it was partly my fault, On Wednesday evening I enabled an advanced feature across TMW and didn't notice it was causing login/logout issues in our forums till Friday morning. (oops!).

This week's Cool Wall will run for two weeks to give it more time during December. So enjoy the 2-week Cool Wall!

Mike

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#4 Unread post by NorthernPete »

This thing intrigues me. Not sure about the mud guard but damn it's a pretty damn cool looking ride. I want one. If only to drive something I thought only made chain saws. Lol
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#5 Unread post by markdcoco »

Quite unique looking. Seat seems to be rather tall requiring a little too much forward lean and weight on the hands making it fairly uncomfortable for long rides... but that's just from the pictures. Hopefully there's an automatic chain oiler so you don't have to keep hitting that squishy little button. Where's the hand guards and the rope pull start? Color scheme is nice.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I find it interesting that Husqvarna has built not just 1, but 3 different street bikes. Wasn't it just 10 years ago the 2 they tried were discontinued? No matter, try #2 and they have even better engines now.

Kudos to Husqvarna for making it.

Mike

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#7 Unread post by montanalifter »

I voted cool. Good looking bike the black and bronze and the unique tank. Seat looks comfortable for about 15 minutes worth of riding.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

Hell to the no. Fail.

So many styling miscues that I don't know where to begin. The radiator looks like an oversized afterthought from the parts bin, the gas tank protrusions resemble Ron Perlman's hacked off horns from the Hellboy movie, the exhaust header looks like intestines spilling out from an abdominal laceration and what the HELL is with that trailer hitch across the rear wheel?!
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#9 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Maybe it's Rubia's background as a dirt rider, but I associate the Husky marquee with overbuilt dirt bikes, not chainsaws.
That alone does a pretty good job of translating a lot of the styling on this bike. The tank protrusion is just a number plate, the exhaust header could be straight off my old KDX and the mudguard/plate mount seems more practical. There's definitely no room under that tail for a plate without risking catching it on that tire.
Interesting that the pictures are different -- top one shows the mirrors mounted to the bar ends, where the bottom shows a more traditional bracket. The bar ends would be a little ridiculous, I'm hoping that's an aftermarket addition.
Not a fan of the café look, and a single disc brake on a 75hp machine is concerning. Promo copy says front brake x2, so, where's that other rotor? Between that and the mirrors I'm sensing maybe Husky's PR packaging needs refinement.
So there's all that. Everything said and done, good looking bike and I'd take it for a spin any day of the week. Solid Cool.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

JackoftheGreen wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:42 am Interesting that the pictures are different -- top one shows the mirrors mounted to the bar ends, where the bottom shows a more traditional bracket. The bar ends would be a little ridiculous, I'm hoping that's an aftermarket addition.
Not a fan of the café look, and a single disc brake on a 75hp machine is concerning. Promo copy says front brake x2, so, where's that other rotor? Between that and the mirrors I'm sensing maybe Husky's PR packaging needs refinement.
That is some really interesting differences there. I didn't notice that myself. We will have to see what it looks like at the motorcycle shows and get a photo of it.

Mike