Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#330: 2017 Harley-Davidson Street Rod - Coolness Factor = 64.6%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Harley-Davidson Street Rod on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... rod-review

NEW HARLEY-DAVIDSON STREET ROD IS TUNED FOR DYNAMIC URBAN PERFORMANCE.

2017 Harley-Davidson Street Rod Review by TOTAL MOTORCYCLE

The H-D racing bloodline runs strong in the Street Rod. It starts with the all-new High-Output Revolution X Engine – bred from the same stock as the engine we built for the XG750R flat track racer we’re bringing to the Pro Circuit this year. To put the power to good use, you get a 43mm inverted front fork, piggyback shocks, dual-disc front brakes and a scooped racing seat. Go fast. Lean hard. Leave traffic in your dust.

High-Output Revolution X Engine and Refined Chassis Deliver More Power and Nimble Handling

The new Harley-Davidson® Street Rod™ motorcycle is a muscular middle-weight built to blitz the city streets. An addition to the Harley-Davidson® Street™ model family, the Street Rod is agile, powerful and tuned for maneuvering through traffic and congestion. Steeped in tough Harley-Davidson® Dark Custom™ styling, bearing a stance that’s poised and aggressive, the Street Rod always looks ready for action.

“The Street Rod will put the thrill in any urban commute,” said Mathew Weber, Harley-Davidson Chief Engineer for the Street Rod. “We’ve paired the potent new High Output Revolution X 750 engine with a revised chassis and up-rated suspension components to make the Street Rod quick, light-handling and easy to ride.”

The Street Rod backs up its performance with a liberal dose of Harley-Davidson Dark Custom styling.

“We made this new bike look tough and aggressive,” said Harley-Davidson Lead Designer Chetan Shedjale. “This aligns with the environment our riders will experience this motorcycle in. The inverted, black-anodized forks and triple clamps along with a new speed screen combine to add visual mass to the Street Rod front end. The increased ground clearance and new 17-inch wheels give the Street Rod an intimidating stance. Finally, a supercharger-inspired air intake and the deeper growl of the exhaust note draw attention to the High Output Revolution X engine.”

The High Output Revolution X 750 engine produces 18 percent more horsepower and 8 percent more torque than the standard Revolution X 750 engine (U.S. and Canada markets only). The new single overhead-cam V-Twin engine features a larger air box, a new dual-throat throttle body, revised four-valve cylinder heads and high-lift camshafts, and a higher-volume muffler. The compression ratio is bumped from 11.0:1 to 12.0:1, and the engine redline is increased from 8,000 to 9,000 rpm.

“We’ve improved air flow and then tuned this new engine to maximize mid-range torque,” said Weber. “It really delivers a punch between 3,000 and 5,000 rpm, power you can always feel and use in real-world riding situations. Liquid cooling helps maintain that performance and rider comfort in stop-and-go urban traffic.”

The new Street Rod chassis is engineered to match the performance of the High Output Revolution X engine. The front end features rigid 43mm inverted forks gripped by a lightweight aluminum triple clamp. Fork rake angle is tightened from 32 to 27 degrees to quicken the steering. Coil-over rear shock absorbers have an external reservoir to increase fluid capacity and improve control. The shocks increase the rear suspension travel by 31 percent, to 4.6 inches. A new swing arm is slightly longer to accommodate the taller ride height, and has new performance-inspired styling. Lean angle is increased from 28.5 degrees left and right to 37.3 degrees right and 40.2 degrees left. The Street Rod rolls on light-weight, 17-inch front and rear Split 7 Spoke Black Cast Wheels and new Michelin Scorcher 21 radial tires. Dual 300mm-diameter front disc brakes deliver confident stopping power. Anti-Lock Braking (ABS) and the Harley-Davidson Smart Security System are factory-installed options for the Street Rod.

“The Street Rod is the most nimble motorcycle in the current Harley-Davidson line-up,” said Weber. “Tires, wheels, suspension and frame geometry are engineered to work together and deliver handling that’s light and precise at all speeds.”

2017 Harley-Davidson Street Rod – Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $8699 to $8994 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $10,399 to $10,749 CDN

DIMENSIONS
Length
83.9 in.
Seat Height, Laden
29.4 in.
Seat Height, Unladen
30.1 in.
Ground Clearance
8.1 in.
Rake (steering head) (deg)
Trail
3.9 in.
Wheelbase
59.4 in.
Tires, Front Specification
120/70 R17 V
Tires, Rear Specification
160/60 R17 V
Fuel Capacity
3.5 gal.
Oil Capacity (w/filter)
3.3 qt.
Weight, As Shipped
497 lb.
Weight, In Running Order
516 lb.
ENGINE
Engine 1
High Output Revolution X™ V-Twin
Bore
3.4 in.
Stroke
2.6 in.
Displacement
46 cu in
Compression Ratio
12.0:1
Fuel System 3
Mikuni Twin Port Fuel Injection, 42 mm bore
DRIVETRAIN
Primary Drive
Gear, 36/68 ratio
Gear Ratios (overall) 1st
Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd
Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd
Gear Ratios (overall) 4th
Gear Ratios (overall) 5th
Gear Ratios (overall) 6th
CHASSIS
Exhaust
Black two-into-one exhaust
Wheels, Front Type 8
Black, 7-Split Open Spoke Cast Aluminum
Wheels, Rear Type
Black, 7-Split Open Spoke Cast Aluminum
Brakes, Caliper Type
2-piston floated front and rear
PERFORMANCE
Engine Torque Testing Method
J1349
Engine Torque 2
47.2 ft-lb
Engine Torque (rpm)
Lean Angle, Right (deg.)
Lean Angle, Left (deg.)
Fuel Economy 5
54 mpg
ELECTRIC
Lights (as per country regulation), Indicator Lamps 7
High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, low fuel warning
Gauges
3.5 inch electronic speedometer with high beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, low fuel warning, blade key ignition and fork lock, and locking gas cap
Recommended 91 octane or higher fuel (R+M)/2.
Values shown are nominal. Performance may vary by country and region.
Standard and optional fuel systems may vary by country.
See motorcycle owner’s manual for complete details.
Estimated from fuel economy tests on a sample motorcycle from the corresponding family conducted by Harley-Davidson under ideal laboratory conditions. Not all motorcycle models undergo fuel economy testing. Fuel economy and mileage may vary among motorcycle models within a family. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal riding habits, weather conditions, trip length, vehicle condition and vehicle configuration and other conditions. Break-in mileage may vary.
Prices listed are the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Prices. Options such as color are available at additional cost. Prices exclude dealer setup, taxes, title and licensing and are subject to change. Dealer prices may vary.
Measurement reflects 180 lb. (81.7 kg) operator weight.
Standard and optional wheels may vary by country and region.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: THIS WEEK #330: 2017 Harley-Davidson Street Rod - VOTE TODAY

#2 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I wouldn't kick it out of bed fir eating crackers. Although who ever is sitting on that bike just doesn't look comfy. Lol.

Fairly decent price point, looks pretty cool and I guess it goes. Why not a cool vote from someone who judges purely by the pictures.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Before I post, can some kind soul send over 1st Responder EMS crews, paramedics and a fast ambulance over to Gumny's house please? I am afraid he might just suffer a massive heart attack after reading this.

Harley has produced a bike that I not only like, but voted awesome for. Did anyone just hear a thud that sounded like a body dropping to the floor????? I like the looks, the style and even the engine and yes I would even own and ride one.....oh poopy-drawers......forget the EMS and ambulance.....best send over a hearse to Gummy's place now.......

Yes its a bit retro looking, but what is wrong with that? The lines are clean, the look is muscular without being overstated and the tech is keep to a minimum.....a true riders ride in my humble opinion.....well done HD, well done indeed.

The memorial service for our dear friend Gummy will be held next week.....and being the cheap sod that he is, errr I mean was, the following wake with be BYOB....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Always ask why.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#4 Unread post by Gummiente »

So I was riding home from work today when all of a sudden the sky turned electric green and I saw a unicorn flying high above and farting rainbows. When I got home and logged in to TMW, it all made sense. Ceemes caused a disturbance in the space-time continuum, is all.

As for the Street Rod... uncool. Awkward, non adjustable riding position, which kills it for me.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#5 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

It seems to be the week for tears in the fabric of space-time, as I'm in the boat with ceemes dropping a Cool for an H-D. I'll admit I've been casting a few glances at the V-Rod too lately, so this isn't much of a surprise. Dual rotors, liquid cooling, high compression, what isn't to like? Fuel range isn't much to make a fuss about, and it's almost too retro for my tastes, but I'd take one for a spin and spend the cash if it impressed me.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#6 Unread post by jstark47 »

I really want to like this thing. High foot pegs kills it for me as a personal ride, but I like the looks and the price is right. A cautious "Cool".
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#7 Unread post by markdcoco »

I want to like it...
I want to like it...
I want to like it...
I want to like it...
I want to like it...

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Looks like a bar hopper and not at all comfortable for more than commuting.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went with Cool,

After seeing the new 2018 Sportsters, the Street models went from (fail for the 500) to uncool to cool. Still, that doesn't mean I really like the Street's much, they are heavy for their size, not a lot of HP (which is fine as I'm sporting a 750cc with a whopping 50hp myself), and the torque comes on a little high for a V-Twin... 4000rpm. (vs mine at 1250rpm). Gas tank size is really good though at 3.5gal vs their peanut tanks.

Price is fair too for a H-D; although it is the same price as many of the sportsters, so cross-shop first.

The Street Rod 750 is the best of the Streets, I'm not sure if I would own the 500 or the normal 750 over this version.

Love ceemes post this week, that really made me laugh! I'll have to add that to the "comments of the week" area for this bike..haha.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Harley-Davidson Street Rod - Coolness Factor = 64.6%
Featured: August 18th, 2017 - August 25th, 2017
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54458
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... rod-review

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Harley-Davidson Street Rod

Awesome (3 points) 2
Cool (2 points) 11
Uncool (1 point) 3
Fail (0 point) 0

Total votes: 16

= a Coolwall Factor of 64.6%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: "SMACK", did you hear that? Harley-Davidson just hit a double base hit with riders. That describes the 2017 Harley-Davidson Street Rod to a tee. It isn't a home run, but it is a hit, enough so that people notice and are curious about it. Good points, price, looks, simple design, good range. Bad, high pegs (comfort?), weight, torque comes in at high rpm (4000). The best of the Harley-Davidson Street models, but is it enough?

Best comments of the week: "Harley has produced a bike that I not only like, but voted awesome for. Did anyone just hear a thud that sounded like a body dropping to the floor?????" - ceemes