Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#324: 2010 Phantom EG - Coolness Factor = 57.8%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2010 Phantom EG on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... Phantom-EG

2010 Phantom EG on Total Motorcycle.com

We build the Phantom EG (code named “EG” or Erasmus’ Gamble) the way we have always built motorbikes — by the hands of skilled artisans. Our lads specify or form every piece of the machine. Of course, no two clients are the exact same shape, or have the exact same taste. As a result, every Phantom is unique, ‘commissioned’ as would a piece of fine art. The EG was designed from the start as an homage to those amazing machines that spunky gentlemen (and ladies) used to set speed records at Brooklands and board track racer circuits back in the 1920s.

The Phantom EG is not for everyone. There are other motorbikes that are faster, and still others more comfortable. What sets the Phantom EG apart from all others, is the abundance of soul. The spirits of The Phantom’s founders, along with those legendary riders of the day such as Harry and Charlie Collier, W. D. Chitty, Bert Le Vack, Jake De Rosier, Jack Emerson, “Barry” Baragwanath, Gwenda Stewart, and scores of others both famous and not, run through every part of a Phantom EG. All these riders may have passed into history, but their presence is felt every time you sit astride a Phantom EG

History

Eighty years have passed since the last machine rolled out of the Phantom works.

(Letter from the founder-) “A motorbike is a thing of leisure and excitement. It is a toy for gentlemen (and ladies) with a taste for such things. In the case of the EG it is a very specific type of person to whom it is best suited. I believe the most suited person is one who knows something of the pioneering days of motorsport and feels a certain sense of resonance with that era. they seek more of a time machine, than a simple road machine. They seek a device that will not only take them down a leafy lane on a Sunday afternoon, but also back to an age of excited exploration and experimentation. And age where everything seemed possible with a measured application of the disciplines of engineering.

In that era, no machine was perfect. As a result, each one had a character that was unique and changed over time. It was also accepted that such machines gave the rider a new perspective on things — once you had experienced high velocity travel, the normal pace of things seemed so sedate that an appreciation of everyday details was intensified. And when you next returned to that world of speed, the sensation was ever more dramatic.

People these days are exposed to such speeds in such comfort at such an early age that the impact of of velocity is almost lost. It is as if you have become a different species to that of our generation. In some ways it is this change in human perception that lies at the heart of the namke of our new machine, the Phantom EG (Erasmus’ Gamble). We are gambling that it is possible to recapture that thrill of the sensation of first speed, and be transported by it across both time and space.”

Order Your Phantom EG Today

You’ve heard about the Phantom EG, You’ve seen photographs and films of it. You might even have seen and heard the Phantom EG in person! Now is the time to claim one for yourself. You’ve worked hard and endured much. You’ve given much to many. Now it is time to treat yourself. And why treat yourself to something thousands of others already possess? Each Phantom EG is unique to its owner….one is waiting to be made for you. To schedule a consultation, please write today to Mrs. Mabel Ramsbottom at editor@thephantom.co.uk.

2010 Phantom EG – General Specifications
USA MSRP: Custom Prices

Engine:

750cc capacity

Two cylinders

Air cooled

“Sneezer Ulysses” fuel atomiser with grip throttle control

Magneto Ignition

Internal, mechanically-powered automatic oil pump

Gearbox:

Four speed sequential

Hand Shift

Hand Clutch

Brakes:

Front — Phantom’s “Integrated Speed Retarding” (ISR) system

Rear — Phantom’s “Integrated Speed Retarding” (ISR) system

Chassis:

Phantom original double-butted diamond frame

Solid rear suspension with leafe-supported Messenger saddle

Phantom “Bladraulic” forks

Wheels 21″ x 3.5″

Brooklands handlebars

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... om-Hotspur
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: THIS WEEK: 2010 Phantom EG - VOTE TODAY

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

From one defunct brand (Last week: Victory) to another in 2012, Phantom. You may not have heard of Phantom motorcycles before today, but it was a start up venture to produce heritage motorcycles for the masses taking craftsmanship to the next level. Phantom lasted for about 3 years in total then in 2013 their website went off the air.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

"The Phantom EG is not for everyone". Yep, they nailed it right there. Uncool. Would have been a Fail vote, but I admire the craftmanship.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

Gave it an awesome just for the audacity of what they were attempting to do and for the machine being completely and utterly different from from anything else being produced at the time. Not surprising they went under, they were going for the nicheist of niche markets......would of I bought one.......yes, if I hit it big on the lottery, it would of been a cool toy to have.
Always ask why.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#5 Unread post by NorthernPete »

"fudge" no. Fail. Ugly as sin and just no. Artesian craftsmen? This thing is so pretentious it almost has a hipster beard and ironic tee shirt.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#6 Unread post by markdcoco »

An amazing "toy" to have in the corner of your garage where you can pull the cover off it, sip a cold beer, and listen to your friends make fun of you for buying it. Truly love the styling and historical pretense, but would believe that the "Cu$$$tom Pricing" set up by management killed a great idea. There's a time and a place for everything.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#7 Unread post by montanalifter »

Fail. Rather have a useful bike. Maybe a couple rich people bought it to sit in their fancy garage.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

So, what most are saying it is too retro then?

Is there a limit to how "retro" a bike can be in looks? The Triumph Bobber (50's style) seems to be doing ok... but most Indian's were based on the 1940's look... maybe 1950 is the cut-off?

Mike

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#9 Unread post by jstark47 »

I guess if I was rich and already had one of everything, like Jay Leno, I might go for this. But otherwise....... no.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I went with: Awesome

I had to think about what to vote, in the end, I love history, craftsmanship and entrepreneurship, I could lovingly look at this at this bike all day, ride it (different handlebars please) and never get rid of it. It is incredibly unique, a modern version of a 1920's motorcycle, but one that is much more reliable and isn't worth $200,000+

Never knew the price for one, there were so few built. If I am lucky to find one, and I have a house, garage and a place to put it, I might just have to have it.

Mike