Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2017 Honda Grom - Coolness Factor = 72.9%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Honda Grom on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... a-Grom.htm

2017 Honda Grom on www.Totalmotorcycle.com

Check out the new Grom!

Part minibike, all motorcycle, the Grom has been a resounding success from the start, with a package that's manageable yet comfortable for full-sized adults. Though its wheels are only 12 inches, the bike has full-size features like a sturdy steel frame, a 31mm inverted fork, mono-shock rear suspension, hydraulic disc brakes and a 125cc single-cylinder four-stroke engine. Now the Grom gets an edgier look, thanks to an integrated fuel tank and side panels, along with a modern, stacked LED headlight layout. Add a new flip-key, sportier handlebar, under-slung exhaust, upswept tail unit and a higher passenger seat, and you've got a Grom that's as fun as ever but with a daring new look.

Reduced Size, Increased Fun!

If you—and about three-quarters of the planet—thought the Honda Grom was cool before, check out the new 2017 version! The first thing you’ll notice is the new, aggressive bodywork and rad new colors. Then pay some attention to the new headlight—its LED design not only looks fresh, but it works great too. There’s a new two-tier seat, a more defined tail section, and a new low-mount muffler design.

Some things haven’t changed, though. The Grom still features a 125cc engine, and its fun factor is still off the charts. It really is a blast to ride—giving you all the excitement and freedom of a motorcycle, but because it’s so user friendly and approachable it basically eliminates any intimidation factor.

And the Grom makes a ton of sense when it comes to dollars and cents too: You can run it on pocket change, and you can park it just about anywhere too.

Everyone who sees a Grom can’t help falling in love with this awesome little fun machine. So why not get in on the fun yourself? Get a Grom, and let the Gromance begin!

All new styling for 2017.

For 2017, the Grom gets some fresh new bodywork and colors, so this hot little bike looks cooler than ever.

Surprising performance.

What makes the Grom so much fun? It all starts with a great motor. The Grom’s single-cylinder design is light, narrow, and revs fast. Fuel injection helps performance, electric starting makes it a snap to get going, and plenty of maintenance-reducing features mean more time to ride.

Big-bike features.

Exhibit A: the four-speed transmission. You get all the control and performance of a standard motorcycle gearbox, and the fun of shifting and deciding when to shift. Exhibit B: Hydraulic disc brakes front and rear give you excellent stopping power.

Just the right size for fun.

With its low 30.0-inch seat height, lightweight, low center of gravity and narrow profile, the Grom inspires confidence, and is a blast whether flicking around corners or cruising around town.

Honda Grom is also the Honda MSX125 in Europe:

Pocket performer.

Unique, unconventional, with an attitude all its own, this bike may be compact and incredibly nimble, but it rides and feels like a much bigger machine. If you’re looking for serious fun, look no further than the MSX125.

Get noticed

It’s everything expected of a Honda, in terms of performance, build quality and usability, but also wears a style and has an attitude all of its own.

Clutch, gear change and throttle control are all operated as you would a full sized bike. Underneath its bold muscular body, a whole host of features create a balanced, agile and comfortable ride. These include inverted front fork, a mono-backbone steel frame, thick 31mm tyres and Y-shaped spokes - like those featured on our very latest Sports bikes.

Side on, 3 quarter facing white MSX, parked, road location, right facing.

A strong performing 125cc engine.

Rear, 3-quarter view, right-facing black MSX.

Increased intake and exhaust efficiency along with low friction technology has produced a highly economical PGM-Fi fuel injected, air-cooled 2-valve, 125cc engine. Together with a 4-speed gearbox and wet multi-plate clutch, the unit delivers good torque from low, but with a smooth, responsive roll-on acceleration when you need it.

Hard-working pipes

The exhaust pipe features a larger, 28.6mm diameter bore with increased 3L multi-section muffler volume, allowing a strong power output in the mid and upper rpm ranges.

See and be seen

The MSX125 uses a combined projector headlight, not only does this feature give the front of the bike a strong identity and presence, it also uses a single light source rather than a pair of bulbs for both high and low beam. Easy to read for its compact size, the LCD digital dash delivers all the information the rider needs.

Dual purpose frame

The MSX125 has a rigid steel mono-backbone frame. Specifically tuned vertical/horizontal rigidity and flex in the swingarm pivot and engine hanger plates provides the perfect balance of comfort and confidence.

2017 Honda Grom www.Totalmotorcycle.com Key Features

Engine/Drivetrain
•Single-cylinder 125cc SOHC four-stroke engine packs a perfect blend of performance with impressive fuel efficiency plus accessible and fun all-around ability.*
•The engine uses low-friction technology such as an offset cylinder and a roller rocker arm for the valve gear.
•Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) offers excellent throttle response over a wide range of riding conditions by continuously monitoring several variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture for the existing riding and atmospheric conditions.
•The four-speed gearbox is managed via a manual clutch and offers smooth and consistent gear changes.

Chassis/Suspension
•Integrated fuel tank and side panels with an edgier look.
•Stacked LED headlight layout.
•Under-slung exhaust, upswept tail unit.
•Sportier handlebar.
•Compact chassis features a sturdy mono backbone steel frame.
•Telescopic inverted 31mm front fork, like a full-size motorcycle, delivers 3.9 inches of travel.
•Steel box-section rear swingarm and a sturdy single shock yield 4.1 inches of comfortable rear-wheel travel.
•Single front 220mm disc with hydraulic dual-piston caliper and single rear 190mm disc with hydraulic single-piston caliper deliver strong stopping power.
•Compact 47.4-inch wheelbase and light curb weight of 225 pounds results in amazing agility to boost rider confidence.
•LCD digital dash includes speedometer, odometer/A&B trip meters, clock and fuel gauge.
•Flip key.

2017 Honda Grom - www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $3199 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $TBA USD
Europe/UK MSRP Price: £2899 GBP (On The Road inc 20% Vat)

ENGINE
Engine Type 124.9cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore And Stroke 52.4mm x 57.9mm
Compression Ratio 9.3:1
Induction PGM-FI with automatic enrichment
Ignition Electronic
Valve Train SOHC; two valves per cylinder

DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission Four-speed
Final Drive Chain

CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension 31mm inverted fork; 3.9 inches travel
Rear Suspension Single shock with steel box-section swingarm; 4.1 inches travel
Front Brake Single 220mm disc with hydraulic dual-piston caliper
Rear Brake Single 190mm disc with hydraulic single piston caliper
Front Tire 120/70-12
Rear Tire 130/70-12

DIMENSIONS
Rake 25°
Trail 81mm (3.2 inches)
Wheelbase 47.2 inches
Seat Height 30 inches
Fuel Capacity 1.45 gallons
Curb Weight 229 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride)
Miles Per Gallon 134 MPG - Honda's fuel economy estimates are based on EPA exhaust emission measurement test procedures and are intended for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride, how you maintain your vehicle, weather, road conditions, tire pressure, installation of accessories, cargo, rider and passenger weight, and other factors.

OTHER
Model ID Grom125
Emissions Meets current EPA standards. Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.
Available Colors Matte Gray Metallic, Pearl Red, Pearl White, Bright Yellow

FACTORY WARRANTY INFORMATION
One Year Unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: THIS WEEK: 2017 Honda Grom - VOTE TODAY

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ok, before you all hang me from a tall tree (it has to be higher than 8' tall as I'm 6'4"), there is a reason for this week's Cool Wall bike, the 2017 Honda Grom.

1. It's new (ahem, updated) for 2017
2. Last week we had a 300cc scooter on and it did ok (59.5%) and I'm curious if a tiny monkey-bike motorcycle is cooler than a stylish mid-sized Italian scooter.

So, vote, discuss and enjoy!

"Go BIG or GROM home".

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Okay starter bike for the kids I guess, but not much use on the streets, expect maybe in South East Asia and even there it engine size would be considered small......where is our Meh option?
Always ask why.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#4 Unread post by montanalifter »

It is cool but not sure how useful in general. If you had only really local trips in the city where your speed would not get too high. Would be a good bike for filtering in London or something like that.

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#5 Unread post by markdcoco »

OK... it's deceptively small. Not really... it's actually small. But I give Honda (and the Kawasaki competitor) credit for bringing technology and style to this size bike. I have taken one for a test ride and have to say that it does have an interesting amount of power:
GromWheelie.jpg
(Just for the record... that is NOT me and I really don't advocate any less than two wheels on the ground.)

So exactly what purpose does this particular bike play... for me? I look at it as a "custom bike starter kit":
customgrom2.jpg
customgrom2.jpg (22.86 KiB) Viewed 12433 times
It is an excellent low-cost platform that can be used to produce anything from a custom dirt bike to a cafe racer to a superbike style ride:
customgrom4.jpg
Hey... we all started in just about the same place:
taco2.jpg
taco2.jpg (60.29 KiB) Viewed 12433 times
This is just the Honda 50 on steroids. Me thinks they did a fantastic job and look forward to someday building a custom toy.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

markdcoco wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:10 pm (Just for the record... that is NOT me and I really don't advocate any less than two wheels on the ground.)
Well, I'm glad we sorted that out... lol.

:revv:

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: Awesome

It's hard to hate a little motorcycle with such personality. Low cost, high customizability, low power, high fun. No wonder it's taken off with both Honda and Kawasaki!

I see them in packs around town and they are quite low when you put on an aftermarket exhaust. Not the best sounding bikes, but it looks fun. Great way to start into riding, although being a complete hooligan on public roads will get you into ticket heaven and police trouble quickly!!

Safety moment: Still 125cc engine, even if low powered, can get a new rider, especially one that's an inexperienced hooligan into trouble quickly.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Honda Grom - Coolness Factor = 72.9%
Featured: June 16th, 2017 - June 23rd, 2017
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54384
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... a-Grom.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Honda Grom

Awesome (3 points) 8
Cool (2 points) 4
Uncool (1 point) 3
Fail (0 point) 1

Total votes: 16

= a Coolwall Factor of 72.9%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: Low cost, high customizability, low power, high fun. markdcoco's post this week was excellent and hit the nail on the head. "I look at it as a custom bike starter kit. It is an excellent low-cost platform that can be used to produce anything from a custom dirt bike to a cafe racer to a superbike style ride. Me thinks they did a fantastic job and look forward to someday building a custom toy."

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2017 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Re: 2017 Honda Grom - Coolness Factor = 72.9%

#9 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I like these things. Very awesome. Laughed my butt off first time I saw one. Could throw it in the back seat of my Jetta.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F