Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2017 Ducati 959 Panigale - Coolness Factor = 72.6%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Ducati 959 Panigale on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... nigale.htm

2017 Ducati 959 Panigale on www.Totalmotorcycle.com

The perfect balance...

Fitted with a new, more powerful engine with slipper clutch, ready to unbridle a racing attitude. Built on an improved chassis integrating a monocoque frame, together with fully adjustable suspension. Poised between road and track, between pure performance, technology and effortless handling, the 959 Panigale sports a breathtaking design. The ideal adrenaline-booster in the form of a Ducati superbike.

In 2016, Ducati's 959 Panigale became a larger capacity, even more versatile "Supermid" model. The Ducati 959 Panigale shares the same innovative stylistic features that characterise its 'bigger brother', the 1299 Panigale - but with an engine designed for a more enjoyable everyday riding experience and more thrills on the race track. The new 955 cm3 twin-cylinder power unit, the first Superquadro to have obtained Euro 4* type-approval, comes with a new stroke length and other innovations that have given rise to an even more impressive torque curve and increased maximum power, now 157 hp at 10.500 rpm. The increased torque and maximum power values do not imply shorter service intervals, therefore, valve clearance inspections are still only required every 24,000 kilometres (15,000 miles).

The super-smooth engine continues to be a fully stressed member of the innovative monocoque frame, achieving both an outstanding power-to-weight ratio and ride-enhancing response and agility with a dry weight of only 176 kg* - while still ensuring full compliance with the structural limitations required by Euro 4* standards. The unmistakable 1299 Panigale-derived silhouette of this bike, even with a redesigned nose fairing, headlight and tailpiece, underlines the family DNA: the Ducati Quick Shift (DQS), Riding Mode technology including Ride-by-Wire, triple-stage Bosch ABS, Ducati Traction Control (DTC) and Engine Brake Control (EBC) featured by the Panigale are in line with Ducati's very own standards of technological excellence.

Every last detail of the 959 Panigale pays tribute to Ducati's legendary racing heritage. The wider nose fairing and screen improve aerodynamic performance and add to the aggressive look of the new front end, also enhanced by larger-section front air intakes. The split tailpiece design is the final touch to a real work of art: the 959 Panigale fairing, now including redesigned lateral air intakes and new rear view mirrors. The new bike is also equipped with aluminium billet-machined footrests for enhanced boot grip while riding.

The 959 Panigale is available in traditional Ducati red with black wheels or a stunning Arctic White Silk with contrasting red wheels.

Ducati 959 Panigale - www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $15395 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $16995 CDN

Engine
Type
Superquadro: L-twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder, Desmodromic, liquid cooled
Displacement
955 cc
Bore x Stroke
100 x 60,8 mm
Compression ratio
12.5:1
Power
115.5 kW (157 hp) @ 10,500 rpm
Torque
107.4 Nm (79.2 lb-ft) @ 9,000 rpm

The power values indicated above are measured using a chassis dynamometer. Homologated power data, as quoted in the Bike Registration Document, are measured using an engine dynamometer according to the homologation regulation. The two power values may differ because of the different measurement equipments.
Fuel injection
Mitsubishi electronic fuel injection system. Twin injectors per cylinder. Full Ride-by-Wire elliptical throttle bodies
Exhaust
2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and 2 lambda probes. Twin stainless steel mufflers with alumimum outer sleeves

Transmission

Gearbox
6 speed with DQS Ducati Quick Shift
Primary drive
Straight cut gears, Ratio 1.77:1
Ratio
1=37/15 2=30/16 3=27/18 4=25/20 5=24/22 6=23/24
Final drive
Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 43
Clutch
Slipper and self-servo wet multiplate clutch with hydraulic control

Chassis

Frame
Monocoque Aluminium
Front suspension
Fully adjustable BPF forks. 43 mm chromed inner tubes
Front wheel
10-spoke light alloy 3.50" x 17"
Front Tyre
120/70 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa
Rear suspension
Fully adjustable Sachs unit. Aluminum double-sided swingarm
Rear wheel
10 spokes light alloy 5,50"x17"
Rear tyre
180/60 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa
Front wheel travel
130mm (5.12in)
Rear wheel travel
130mm (5.12in)
Front brake
2 x 320mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Brembo Monobloc M4.32 4-piston callipers ABS as standard equipment
Rear brake
245mm disc, 2-piston calliper ABS as standard equipment
Instrumentation
Full LCD Display

Dimensions and weight

Dry weight
176 kg (387.2 lb)

Weight data refers to the dry weight of the motorcycle without battery, lubricants and coolants for liquid-cooled models.
Wet weight (KERB)
200 kg (440 lb)

Kerb weights indicate total bike weight with all operating consumable liquids and a fuel tank filled to 90% of capacity (as per EC standard 93/93).
Seat height
810 mm (31.9 in)
Wheelbase
1,431 mm (56.34 in)
Rake
24°
Trail
96mm (3.78in)
Fuel tank capacity
17l - 4.5 gallon (US)
Number of seats
Dual seat

Equipment

Standard Equipment
Riding Modes, Power Modes, ABS, DTC, DQS, EBC, Fully RbW, Steering damper, DDA+ Ready.
Warranty
Warranty
24 months unlimited mileage
Maintenance service intervals
7,500m/12 Months
Valve clearance check
24.000km (15,000m)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: THIS WEEK: 2017 Ducati 959 Panigale - VOTE NOW

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ducati: Sexy is as sexy does... Oh, can I say that?

Enjoy this weeks bike, the "smallest entry-level Panigale": 2017 Ducati 959 Panigale.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

It's a nice bike, but it belongs on the track or place like the autobahn. Seen too many of these hyper bikes either sitting in traffic wasting away or being ridden by idiots on the highway who think they are the second coming of Joey Dunlop. So yeah, awesome hands down.....but too much wasted potential for the streets and too many nooby squids on them.....pity really.
Always ask why.

montanalifter
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: Yamaha FJR 1300

#4 Unread post by montanalifter »

Beautiful bike, awesome. Have to agree with some of ceemes points though. I also need luggage capacity, it would ruin the looks with a trunk on back.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

ceemes wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 3:53 amIt's a nice bike, but it belongs on the track or place like the autobahn.
What Ceemes said. It's a beautiful exercise in design and engineering, but completely impractical in a crowded place like New Jersey. I'd never get it out of 2nd gear.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

markdcoco
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2014/BMW/R1200RT

#6 Unread post by markdcoco »

As there are ample IDIOTS out there riding absolutely every flavor of bike from Aprilla to Vespa, none of which take away from the technology of the machine, I'll comment on the bike... this one providing liter bike performance in a smaller more nimble package with technologies that make it more rideable for the average rider than other hardcore race bikes. All reviews I have read say this is the bike to own, if you're into that style of ride. Performance and ease of handling have tamed the L-twin monster horsepower making it more controllable. I do wish Ducati would add a bag option back as the ST4 was one of my favorites:

Nice to see a company incorporate technologies into magic machines making them accessible to all. Obviously you can't fix STUPID (riders)... but you can help them along.
Attachments
st4_main.jpg
st4_main.jpg (17.27 KiB) Viewed 11912 times

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

While I sure would not be able to fit comfortably on this bike nor be able to ride it for long, it just looks too amazing not to vote: Awesome.

With the prices of liter sport bikes in the last 10 years firmly over the $12k mark, $15/17k for a Ducati doesn't seem too unreasonable. While you can still buy a new car for that amount, it would not have the appeal (or Coolness Factor) of the 2017 Ducati 959 Panigale! And I know, I drive a 2015 Hyundai Accent L (with roll up windows) and no one ever comes up to me and says "That's an Awesome looking car, man". :revv:

On a side note, the specs are really nice, 157hp and 79 torque in a 440 lb bike, sweet. Unfortunately, that torque and HP comes on really, really, too late in the RPM range for a Twin... that's more inline-4 specs, but still, it "should" have lower torque.

For the discussion on riding the bike at 8/10ths: It is one of the things I hammer on about, buy a car or motorcycle and ride it like it was designed to be ridden. If you are not pushing a motorcycle and it is pushing you, then you might just have more fun on a smaller bike. I ride my Guzzi V7 at 8/10ths most of the time, it's torquey enough to get me quickly past the speed limits but not crazy enough that I can't read the speedo doing it. Ride it hard, put it away wet; respect the bike and it will respect you.

I'm not sure there are many who could ride the Ducati Panigale models at their limits but if they are, hopefully it is on the track.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Ducati 959 Panigale - Coolness Factor = 72.6%
Featured: May 26th, 2017 - June 2nd, 2017
Most popular vote category: Awesome

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54354
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... nigale.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Ducati 959 Panigale

Awesome (3 points) 9
Cool (2 points) 4
Uncool (1 point) 2
Fail (0 point) 2

Total votes: 17

= a Coolwall Factor of 72.6%

Total Motorcycle's Take-a-way: Undeniably fast and furious. But Undeniably fast and furious for their own and their riders own good? Where can you really ride it 8/10ths? In the city? In traffic? Commuting? Even in Texas where speed limits reach 85mph (Austin, Texas SH130 On Texas 130 Tollway) the bike is just getting into it's stride and wants to go faster.

I've rode some very fast bikes, but approaching 8/10ths on them is not as fun as it might seem, you never use 4,5th gears, even at 3rd you are going past highway speeds. Forget downshifting to find power and while very flick able, try to find that S corner you can push the bike with around the city!

In all my riding (and living) around the world, there are very few "push the bike" roads or areas that have been on the top of my list. Here are two that could push a 959:

Calgary S Curve: Wonderful S curve that hugs a wall on the way up a steep hill. Tests the suspension, the engine and the rider.*
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=54106&p=350388#p350388

London, UK "racer road": Hills, curves, S curves, scenery, low traffic even a 1 way bridge over a canal. Locally known as the motorcycle road of death due to riders pushing a little too hard. Amazingly fun to ride at 8/10ths*.

* Always ride within your and the Law's limit. Ride safe, ride long.

Mike

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2017 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

totalmotorcycle wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:16 amLondon, UK "racer road": Hills, curves, S curves, scenery, low traffic even a 1 way bridge over a canal. Locally known as the motorcycle road of death due to riders pushing a little too hard. Amazingly fun to ride at 8/10ths*.

* Always ride within your and the Law's limit. Ride safe, ride long.

Mike

Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2017 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!
"motorcycle road of death" 2nd half, a bit slower, starting at the canal bridge:

Gives you an idea of some of the great UK riding roads:

Yes, that is ME riding my UK bike, a 2001 Kawasaki Z750F pretty much at the bike's 8/10ths.