Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2017 Victory Octane - Coolness Factor = 57.3%

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Victory Octane on the Total Motorcycle Cool Wall

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Octane.htm

POWER TO BURN...

Take a big motor, put it into a lightweight chassis, then delete any creature comforts or other unnecessary accessories. What’s left is just what you need to go very fast, and nothing else. This is the formula for the Modern American Musclebike.

Victory Octane: the Modern American Musclebike

Every high-octane horsepower enthusiast is familiar with the muscle car formula: take a big motor, insert it into a lightweight chassis then remove any creature comforts or other unnecessary accessories.

What's left is just what you need to go very fast and nothing else.

The all-new Victory Octane is the two-wheeled expression of that concept with a modern twist.

This is raw adrenaline that rules the streets. A 1200cc, liquid-cooled V-twin -Victory's first-ever liquid-cooled engine - utilises dual overhead cams and four-valve heads to rev beyond 8000 rpm and put down 104 horsepower.

That's more horsepower than in any production Victory motorcycle ever built.

No surprise then that Octane is also the quickest Victory down the quarter-mile and the fastest from 0-60 mph too. And with a price starting from €12,950, Octane runs in a class of its own.

A stiff and light cast-aluminium frame transmits every last one of those horsepower directly to the asphalt. Sharp steering geometry, a tight 1578mm (62.1 in) wheelbase and 32° of available lean angle deliver agility previously unknown to American V-twin motorcycles.

Muscular styling cuts an undeniably modern profile and a sportsbike-inspired bullet cowl improves airflow over the rider at the triple-digit speeds that Octane is built to achieve.

The first hundred customers (including pre-orders) will be given a special engine cover with the Project 156 logo on it.

MODERN AMERICAN MUSCLE - A NEW VISION FOR AMERICAN MOTORCYCLES

Victory Octane http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com Features and Benefits

A RACE-BRED POWERTRAIN
Developed from the Project 156 prototype that was tested at the most demanding racing event in the world-the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb™-the 60-degree V-twin features a short-stroke just like the Project 156 racer to allow higher engine rpm and more horsepower and a quick-revving engine more like a sportsbike than any traditional American V-Twin. An electronically metered 60mm throttle body feeds high-flow four-valve heads (operated by dual overhead cams) and liquid cooling quenches the heat generated by 104 horsepower and 99 Nm of tyre-shredding torque. Geared short for quicker acceleration, Octane can sprint down the quarter-mile in 12 seconds and rush from 0-60 mph in less than four seconds. With the heart of a racer, Octane has power to burn.

Based on the Project 156 racer that competed at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, Octane's 1200cc V-twin uses 4-valve heads, dual overhead cams, and liquid cooling to make 104 horsepower. Geared for acceleration, Octane™ can run the quarter mile in 12 seconds and hit 60 mph in under four seconds.

2017 Victory Octane - http://www.Totalmotorcycle.com USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $10,499 USD
Canada MSRP Price: $12,499 CDN

Dry Weight 528 lb. (240 kg)
Displacement 1179cc

ENGINE & DRIVETRAIN

Transmission/Final Drive 6-speed/belt
Exhaust Dual slash-cut mufflers with common volume
Fuel System Sequential Fuel Injection with single 60mm throttle body
Compression Ratio 10.8:1
Horsepower (HP) 104 HP @ 8000 RPM
Valve Train DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Torque 76 FT-LBS @ 6000 RPM
Final Drive Ration 2.536 : 1
Bore x Stroke (mm) 101.0 x 73.6mm
Engine Type Liquid-cooled 60° V-twin

Suspension

Rear Suspension Twin shocks with dual-rate springs, adjustable preload; 3.0-in. travel
Front Suspension 41mm damper-tube forks with dual-rate springs; 4.7-in. travel

Drivetrain

Clutch Type Wet, multi-plate

Brakes

Rear Brakes Single-piston
Front Brakes Dual piston caliper, 298mm disc
Brake System Type Conventional

Tires / Wheels

Front Tires 130/70-18 63H
Rear Wheel 17 X 4.5-in. cast 10-spoke
Front Wheel 18 X 3.5-in. cast, 10-spoke
Rear Tires 160/70-17 76H

DIMENSIONS

Seat Height 25.9 in. / 658 mm
Wheelbase 62.1 in. / 1578mm
Rake/Trail 29.0°/ 5.1 in. / 130mm
Fuel Capacity (Litres) 3.4 gal. / 12.9 LTR
Overall Vehicle Length 90.9 in. / 2286mm
Lean Angle 32 degrees

Features

Colors (Base) Matte Super Steel Gray

For MORE information and Photos click here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Octane.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This Week: 2017 Victory Octane

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

As FRESH as you can get. The 2017 Victory Octane was released just this morning (1 1/2 hours ago) and we have it up on the Cool Wall and in our new 2017 Motorcycle Model Guide as well!

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/2017-mot ... models.htm

Total Motorcycle. Built by Riders, For Riders.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

That looks just like an Indian Scout. So much for Polaris' BS about keeping the Indian and Victory brands separate.......

UNCOOL for blatant, cynical badge engineering. :mad:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

jstark47 wrote:That looks just like an Indian Scout. So much for Polaris' BS about keeping the Indian and Victory brands separate.......

Well, here you go to compare:

Horsepower (HP) 100 (74.7 kW), Peak Torque 72.2 ft-lbs. (97.7 Nm), Peak Torque RPM 5900 rpm
Weight (Empty tank / full of fuel) 538 lbs / 558 lbs (244 kg / 253 kg)

Horsepower (HP) 104 HP @ 8000 RPM, Torque 76 FT-LBS @ 6000 RPM
Dry Weight 528 lb. (240 kg)

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
jstark47 wrote:That looks just like an Indian Scout. So much for Polaris' BS about keeping the Indian and Victory brands separate.......

Well, here you go to compare:
In another on-line publication, Brandon Kraemer, the Victory product manager, "...freely admits that the Octane is a platform play and utilizes many of the designs and some of the components of the Scout"

I read that this project was actually under development at Victory prior to Polaris' purchase of the Indian brand. Polaris has taken the same development work, made some minor tweaks, and are marketing it under two different brands.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Jarlaxle
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2014 Harley SPortster 1200 Touring

#6 Unread post by Jarlaxle »

Marketed as a "performance" bike...yet will get dusted by any 600cc sportbike and many smaller ones, will drag parts (32 degree lean angle) on even moderate cornering, and totally unsuited for anything more than local riding, with no storage or wind protection. A whopping 3" of travel means the rear suspension will give a pounding, kidney-hammering ride vaguely reminiscent of an old cement truck.

Total fail.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#7 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I liked the Scout and I like this bike. But agree, I wish it had more cornering clearance and suspension travel. Twin disks would be great too. Anything that makes it turn and stop better, basically.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#8 Unread post by High_Side »

After all the hype and teasers about project 156 we get a rebadged Scout? I like the Scout but where is the suped up standard that was going to set Victory on a new direction?

Probably a decent bike (still with the crappy little tank though).

Huge disappointment following the hype.

Therefore fail.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

As mentioned above, it's a disappointment considering the HUGE "Project 156" Pike's Peak hype and molasses slow information they trickled out to the media.

That said, I still think it's Awesome. Ya, it's a rebadged (in a way) Indian Scout, but Victory doesn't have one and it's nice to see a different take on the Scout (which I do love, although I can't fit on it). The Octane (ie Victory) had the time to hear the cons of the Scount (small tank, not-so-awesome lean angle, small frame) and made the Octane that it fazed those cons out. But they didn't as this bike it aimed at new riders to the Indian/Victory brand, not that this engine size/power is "new rider" but it's the smallest they have right now. And the bike was aimed at a price point as well ($10.5k/12.5k).

I did think we were going to get either a "V-Rod or a Sportster" type Project 156 type bike from the looks of the Project 156 bike. Maybe even a Scrambler. But nope.

But looks wise, it's still pretty darn cool at a very cool price. It's also has more power, less weight and more torque than the Scout and if I loved the Scout, the Octane must be just a tad better because of this.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2017 Victory Octane - Coolness Factor = 57.3%
Featured: February 19th - February 26th 2016
Most popular vote category: Cool

Motorcycle Cool Wall discussion: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=52652
Total Motorcycle model page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... Octane.htm

Your Coolness Factor of the 2017 Victory Octane is:

Awesome (3 points) 20% 20% [ 5 ]
Cool (2 points) 48% 48% [ 12 ]
Uncool (1 point) 16% 16% [ 4 ]
Fail (0 point) 16% 16% [ 4 ]

Total votes: 25

= a Coolwall Factor of 57.3%

Notes: It is interesting to see how marketing hype can either be boost a or a backfire. Back on our 2014 Cool Wall the 2015 Indian Scout finished #3 of the year at 85.4% cool. In 2016, the "same" bike made by Victory finished 57.3% cool. A swing of almost 30% is huge and why was that? Victory really put a lot of hype behind the Project 156 bike getting riders uber excited about it's launch. What we got was a better bike than the Indian Scout, but not at all what riders wanted. Maybe Project 157 will be what we all wanted.

[/i]Get excited as the next TMW Cool Wall bike for 2016 is now up for voting and discussion, have fun!