ronrex
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki zrx1100

ronrex blog after 8 year hiatus from riding

#1 Unread post by ronrex »

I just took my first legitimate "joyride" on my newest-to-me-motorcycle. It is the first one I've taken since i brought it home. My 2000 ZRX1100. I barely know it and have mostly ridden it to work and back for my 12 hour night shift job. Now I am back on days, and am off today and tomorrow.

I went on some mildly curvy roads here in central missouri (highway U, from sedalia to cole camp, for those who know it.) I did some some highway riding at 65-70 mph (Highway 65 back to sedalia.) I revisited some narrow, curvy backroads (forest park rd, south grand, and the back way around maplewood but i forget the road that hooks to mcvey.) There was plenty of pre-fair city traffic at "rush hour." I made sure i got some of that too, just to release my inner hooligan a little :twisted: .
And I went to otterville to check out the Lamine conservation area primitive camping rules...which, of course were not posted at all. But it was a great excuse to ride some more.

Conclusion: I am not the me I used to be. I found myself trundling along at the speed limit (mostly), not testing any limits on the curves (but it seems like the yellow signs are still all about 20 mph too slow, as a minimum...seriously 20-25 over those seemed like the bike was nearly standing up straight)... i found myself using the ridiculous torque of the machine mostly as a traffic flow aid, not an adrenaline rush (right).

The wind in my old helmet, completely blocking the sound of the motor at cruise, reminds me of why i like it. Plenty of times I looked down and realized i had no real idea what my speed was. Most of the time, it was as above...right on the speed limit or a little over. Am i really getting that old?

Okay, confession time. There's a LOT of pavement in a road. I guess I am not admitting how silly i may look weaving to and fro when i think nobody is looking. Oops, better swerve to miss that dead raccoon. Wow, there's another board lying in the road, HEY! What's all this imaginary debris, and why doesn't anybody else see it?
AM I the only one seeing the orange cones on both sides of the middle of this lane?
You get the picture.

In Pettis county, obeying the speed limit can be exciting too...especially when you crest a hill on a curve and there's a John Deer slowly moving on the road RIGHT NOW. Thank you six piston front calipers (x 2) and aftermarket rear disc.

Eventually I stop into the shop to get a new clear visor so i can ride at night when the days shrink and work overlaps day and night. I find out my helmet is too old and visors aren't available. So now i have a new helmet with a clear visor and built in sunglasses! lol...technology. Oh and a new cargo net to haul my old sad helmet home in...It will still see some more daytime miles, I think...this new one is awefully nice.

SO, 117 miles and 2.5 gallons of gas later, my first joyride is complete and my carb sync clearly paid off from the quick math. She was only getting 35 mpg before the sync.

As joyrides go, it was indeed, mostly joyful...but i will leave out the guy in the red pickup.

ronrex
Regular
Regular

Re: ronrex blog after 8 year hiatus from riding

#2 Unread post by ronrex »

Today it's raining. Old injuries are flared up, mY wife is prepping the living room and dining room for paint. I am fixing a hole in the dining room wall made by the dog's butt during a roughhouse session with the bigger dog. All i've done with the bike today is check tire pressures for my next ride test. They will be 37 rear and 32 front. One of my favorite things about motorcycling is the endless number of variables and settings. Tweaks. One of the things i like about reloading my rifle and pistol ammo too. One of the things I like about casting lead bullets for my .40 S&w. One of the things I like about hunting deer on the ground with a recurve bow. Tweaks make a big difference.

As with all of the other hobbys, the tweaks make a difference, but the hobbyist makes the most...or tweaks to the hobbyist.

I sure am glad I lost 50 pounds last year. All that stuff is just easier and more fun now.

Blogging while joint compound dries...ugh...work tomorrow and i get to ride a motorcycle to and from. Life is good.

ronrex
Regular
Regular

Re: ronrex blog after 8 year hiatus from riding

#3 Unread post by ronrex »

The rain stopped. I took my wife's van to the muffler shop, got a new long glass pack and tailpipe hangar repaired for 48.60...not bad. The sun is out and i just got back from another joyride. It turns out i actually got 46.8 MPG yesterday. It looks like today was even better, but i stayed out of town. As the state fair approaches, the driving is getting worse, even out in the country. I sampled some of the roads i used to ride on....they were crap....until....highway 135. Black glass to ride a motorcycle on! what a sudden change from m highway. I started meeting other people on motorcycles. The waves were abundant. Highway 52 out of Stover to cole camp, to highway 65....more smoothness and more bikers. In the first 30 miles i only had 5 miles of enjoyment due to poor road maintenance and wavy, oily, uneven surfaces in all the curves. Now i know where NOT to joyride...lol. Then, two miles from my home, a wreck on my favorite s curve. The minivan front left wheel was folded under...several vehicles in the ditch and two highway patrol officers, one sherrif's deputy. The deputy came over to me and chit-chatted about my bike and said i could turn around if i was too hot in my gear to wait...but he figured just a few minutes more, so I stayed and was able to ride the second curve of the s unencumbered by oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road like it usually is. Nobody said my favorite s-curve was always easy....but today the last half of it was. On days like these it's hard to put it away. The tire pressure test was 36 rear and 30 front....that is what i decided to try once i got to go ride. It is a good setup....the front warmed to 32 and the rear warmed to 40 with a variety of non-agressive riding....and the ride was even better than yesterday, comfort-wise, in spite of my complaints on the road surface. the suspension is working and the tires are cooperating now. With the great gobs of usable power, The bike is indeed a joy to ride.