orlin.anderson
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2004 Kawaski Vulcan 800

Rookie From Eastern WA

#1 Unread post by orlin.anderson »

I have been contemplating starting a blog for a while now and have a little free time so Surprise!!! First I guess a little back ground about myself. I am a 10 year Navy Vet. Who has wanted to ride street bikes for as long as I can remember. Timing never seemed right and the wife has always threatened to divorce me if I ever rode one. I grew up riding dirk bikes ranging from little 75's up to 250's. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Okay skip ahead 12 years to Dec. '13. I was sitting at my dinning room table doing homework when low and behold my wife pops out of our bedroom holding my laptop. She hands it to me and asks me what I think..Puzzled I closely examine the craigslist post and picture of a 2004 Kawaski Vulcan 800. I told her, I liked the way it looked and she walked back in the bedroom. Still puzzled I went back to work on some Accounting nightmare I was having.

Two weeks later, Sitting on her bed (married guys will understand) I quizzically ask her if she was serious about looking at the bike...A bit timid I must admit. She finally said that she knew she could stop me and I would eventually buy one and for her sanity it couldn't be a beater. Shocked I felt her forehead and took her temperature..She wasn't sick....Whats the catch?!?!?

Just to make sure she understood what this entailed I explained to her about the cost of decent gear and MSF. I explained that learning to ride doesn't consist of one and a half day class. Time and miles were the only solution to this problem. She agreed, and a week later that beautiful bike was sitting in my garage. MSF was scheduled for Apr. 6th and the ebay and user reviews research ensued for the right gear.

I bought a Kilimanjaro by First Gear and an HJC Helmet. I bought a decent set of hiking boots and unfortunately could find any riding pants I liked. Picked up some gloved with padded palms and rubber covered knuckles. Gear check.

MSF was pretty boring. I got stuck in a group of slower than normal riders afraid to go fast enough to lean into corners and really prevented me from getting to practice this. I feel this is a cause to my issues I have now but more on that later... I passed the Riding test with flying colors and away I went.

The first time I got on the bike I knew it was meant to be. I spent the first hour working on clutch work and "putting" around my neighborhood. I spent three weeks repeating this before I ventured out on the busy streets. When I finally got the courage to get into traffic I was hooked on riding.
To Be continued...Dinner calls

orlin.anderson
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Rookie From Eastern WA

#2 Unread post by orlin.anderson »

I spent a week ridding around town and working on basics on the side streets, quicks stops, weaving, swerving etc... I had been looking for a way to ride to my school without getting on the freeway ( I wasn't prepared for that step yet). I found a way but I had to get on a highway for a mile and a half and then turn onto a little country road for 15 miles. I decided to ride it with a friend the first time. HE was more experienced and if something should happen I would have help. The ride was good. I was very nervous in corners and felt like I was going to crash on the grooved pavement on the highway. The ride back was a bit better though not by much. The next week I had promised myself that I would ride everyday to school. I knew the only way to gain experience is with both feet on the pegs and riding at my own speed.
I felt I improved dramatically over week. I was getting more comfortable at speeds of 55 mph. Though I was extremely shaky in corners still. The next week was not as fun as the first week. On my ride to school one day I was okay. The corners seemed to be shaky but not so bad. The grooves were a nightmare but manageable. It wash''t until on my way home where I began having my issues. The minute I got up to 45 mph I began what I can only call having a panic attack. I was so scared and twice I had to pull off the road because I felt like I was going to hyperventilate. I was determined not to let it get the best of me. I slowed way down and took my time. I got home and parked my bike. I went in my house and took a 15 minute breather.
I was determined not to be beat my own mind I went for a short ride in town. I had a blast! The experience was completely different and much more enjoyable. When I got home I started my looking for similar issues and ended up here. I read in a post that someone chews gum to help them overcome anxiety. I thought to myself, what could it hurt. It was like night and day. The nests days adventure seemed to flow smoothly. I wasn't as anxious in corners and the grooves slipped almost unnoticed under my tires...Who would have thought..gum.
A week ago I felt froggy so I decided to go for a ride on a much more curvy road. I have driven that road maybe 500 times in a car and thought to myself, " this should be fun." Well I was mistaken. When I started out it was fun, the road is mostly straight and very similar to the highway I ride on everyday. Then the issues began. The road narrows down to two lanes and the speed is 50 mph. Now this wouldn't be a problem except the road seems to be about 4 feet narrower than the country road I usually ride on. As my nerves began to kick in, I reached the first real corner of the ride which is a long sweeping corner which the speed drops down to 35. I felt relieved and almost turned around. I convinced myself that I would ride at a pace that was comfortable to me no matter what. I pressed on. The speed increases back to 50 and I reach the first of two sets of sane corners. The road narrows and I felt like I was a target for on coming cars. I slowed way down (to the dismay of the 6 cars behind me) and rode at my pace. I slowed down to 25 through the corners and sped up in the straight aways. I reached the only hill on my trip. This hill is known for having loose gravel and sand on it. It has a long sweeping corner at the top and a narrow almost 90 degree corner at the bottom. Again I slowed way down and made it to the top. I turned down a side street so I could catch my breath and ease my nerves...The ride home still loomed ahead.
After about three miles of side roads I decided it was time to face my fears. The ride home was exactly like the ride there. Slow speeds in corners and the feeling of being a human target. When I arrived home my nerves were shot. I put the bike up for the night and knew I had to think long and hard about my next steps.
The next week I road everyday back and forth to school with little to no real issues (except keeping under the speed limit in straight aways) and still slowing way down in corners. Nothing really unusual though.
Now that I have been riding for two months almost to the day. My progress has been growing on a daily basis. I ride every chance I get and usually enjoy the ride. More to come

orlin.anderson
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by orlin.anderson »

Just a quick Post tonight..Am I the only one who gets antsy when the weathers nice and cannot ride? I I have an addictive personality and I really feel I am addicted to riding...

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#4 Unread post by Hanson »

Thanks for writing you blog and sharing your story. I get antsy without regard to the weather if I have not been on the bike at least once each day.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

orlin.anderson
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by orlin.anderson »

I know that in time weather will not be as much of a factor in my riding adventures. However, since I am still learning the basics and trying to overcome some basics skill I feel that managing the amount of risk I expose myself to is necessary. Why I am on that train of thought I'll talk about some of the issues I am having. Maybe seeing them in black and white will help me think through the issues I am having. When I am in a parking lot practicing it is very easy to turn either direct at speeds up to about 30 miles and hour. When I get onto side streets it is fairly easy to make turns though I hesitate slightly while turning left. Once I am in the turn I am fine just beginning is where I have an issue. While I am at speeds above 40+ curving right is come supernaturally and can execute them without a thought. Curving left however is a completely different. I set myself up in to correct posture for an outside,inside, Outside approach. Even when I start on the outside of a left curve I end up much closer to the the yellow line before the apex and this is very unnerving. Another issue with curves are the long sweeping ones, I particularly deal with a left curve coming off the freeway sweeping left onto a highway. I slow down before entering the curve but (I know this is wrong and dangerous) but I will end the curve about 10-15 mph slower when I exit the curve. I do not hit my breaks just ease off the throttle. I am not going to give up and will master these issues just need to figure out how....

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#6 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

orlin.anderson
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by orlin.anderson »

Thanks Jack, Thats good to know its not just me. It's really driving me crazy trying to figure it out..I'll get it.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#8 Unread post by Hanson »

Orlin,

There are lots of riders on this forum with a lot of experience, I am not one of them, but as a new rider this is what I am experiencing.

Intersections:
At surface street intersections, a right hand turn from the right lane into the right lane has a much smaller radius than does a left hand turn from the left lane into the left lane. I am a bit more tentative on the tighter right hand turns, but the left hand turns involve crossing lanes of oncoming traffic. In the empty parking-lot practice environment there is no significant difference between a right hander and a left hander, but on the streets the turns are a bit different in the details and require a somewhat different technique. The hesitation you are experiencing starting a left hand turn might simply be a result of an awareness that left hand turns are bit more dangerous. I also need to work a bit on my left hand intersection turns as I tend to initiate the turn a bit early which impacts how smoothly I can roll on the throttle as I exit the turn into the lane of traffic.

Bends in a road: twisties:
As a lot of roads have a crown to facilitate drainage, when turning right the slope of the road makes the turn a bit easier, but when turning left the slope of the road often makes the turn a bit off-camber and makes the turn slightly more difficult.

Sweepers:
On long curves, sweepers, on the highway I do not slow at all nor do I follow an outside/inside/outside motorcycle line. Rather I maintain my lane position as I travel a smooth arc at a constant speed through the curve. The idea is to be predictable to other drivers on the highway without sudden changes in my speed or position. I don't notice any significant difference between left or right handed sweepers unless there is a crosswind or if I am passing a big truck.

I hope this discussion helps.

Writing about your experiences is a great idea and doing so should help you sort out what is going inside your skull. I also truly admire you determination to continue until you have mastered your skills. I think the most important factor in risk mitigation is attitude.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

orlin.anderson
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by orlin.anderson »

I know its been a while since my last post. I unfortunately haven't been able to ride as much as I want too. The three weeks, I have only ridden about once a week for a few miles at a time. I'll take whatever I can get. On the 4th of July was a different story. I was able to ride out to the place we watch fireworks at every year. Its a 15.6 mile ride with a set of snake corners and a few long sweeping corners. I was riding with my best friend who is much more experienced on motorcycles which was great.The ride out there was great, except my issue with making left corners. He left me in the corners but I was able to watch him and how he positioned himself before,during and after. The thing I notice is I ride the same way except I cannot make a left corner at speeds higher then 40 mph without slowing or tensing up (which in turn slows me down BEFORE The corner. The right corners are fine and have no issue with them. I've worked at slow speeds over and over again and as speeds of 35 I'm comfortable and have no issues. I am really frustrated by this issue and I am uncertain how to over come it. I will not even mention my first long night ride as this only made the issue worse. ..hmmm I love to ride and will not give up just to figure out how to adapt and overcome.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#10 Unread post by Johnj »

Maybe your're not getting your head turned enough. Try this, place a table/desk in a corner so it's at a 45°. sit facing the corner, place your hands on the table/desk with your thumbs pointing at the floor and at least 30 inches apart. Now turn your head to the right and look down the wall, then straight ahead, then turn and look left. Do not use your arms at all. Try it with your helmet on.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.