Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Re: I am a leaf on the wind!

#101 Unread post by Hanson »

Day 310 : Saturday March 14, 2015 : Miles 20607

No riding today, but I did change the rear tire. I do this with hand tools and with my son helping. John is now 17 and it saves me a lot of energy to have someone fetching tools. The extra hands are nice as well. We started by cleaning the chain and inspecting both the front and rear sprockets. The sprockets look fine, but the chain tension was rather sloppy so I measured a specified length of chain, 20 links, and found the chain is getting close to maximum allowed stretch.

After this, we removed the rear tire assembly, installed a new Michelin PR4, and put everything back to rights.

From the time I rolled the bike out of the garage, to the time it went back in was just a bit under three hours. This shows just how bad we are at changing tires, old and slow I am, but it is still several hours faster than the first time we performed this maintenance evolution. We have now done three tire changes, two rears and one front.

I think I will go ahead and order a new chain and front sprocket along with any specialized tools I need to change out these items. It is my understand that as a chain nears the end of it's service life it starts to stretch more rapidly and I was surprised by how much my current chain had stretched. I will replace the current O-ring chain with an X-ring chain designed for longer life. I have also been thinking about the number of teeth on the front sprocket and if I go up a tooth to 16, then my speedometer and odometer will be close to spot on. It is time to do some more research on the topics of chains and sprockets, but I want to have the parts in the garage and available long before it actually becomes necessary to change them out.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#102 Unread post by Hanson »

Day 315 : Thursday March 19, 2015 : Miles 20673

Tomorrow is March 20, the day of the Vernal Equinox which takes place at 5:45 CDT. I am going to be riding all day. This is the second of four day long rides on each of the two Solstices and two Equinoxes called the Four Seasons Ride. I am experiencing that enjoyable excitement in quite anticipation of going on a long hard ride.

It is going to rain, so I have planned a number of routes and will pick one after a last minute check of the weather, but at this moment the plan is to ride west to El Paso, north to Albuquerque, east to Amarillo, and then back home in a big clockwise loop. I might reverse this loop, or I might just do and out and back to Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico, but I am going to ride all day.

I have a SPOT Gen 3 tracker that allows my wife to check on my location as I go on a ride. I also push a button every time I stop for fuel that sends her a text message so she knows that I am OK. Susi likes getting those messages during my rides. The SPOT Gen 3 will also report my location every five minutes and there is an online mapping application, SpotWalla, that creates a map from these tracking locations and updates that map about every 10 minutes.

Anyone who is interested can follow along in near real time:

SpotWalla link == https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id ... 9942bbdd8f

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#103 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Rain doesn't begin to describe here today....more like monsoon.

So...did you ride?

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#104 Unread post by Hanson »

Day 317 : Saturday March 21, 2015 : Miles 22343

Did I ride? Yes I did.

>>>> Vernal Equinox Ride - March 20, 2015

I started just after midnight and rode the loop clockwise. The early part of the ride was dominated by hundreds of miles of rain, but much of the rain was rather light with only a few patches of heavy rain. I had routes planned in all directions, and this loop was planned for both clockwise and counter-clockwise. The weather dictated my route choice. In the end, I rode for about 23 hours on March 20, 2015.

I did take the time to stop in Albuquerque to grab a picture of the car wash that is featured in the TV series Breaking Bad

>>>> Breaking Bad car wash

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#105 Unread post by Johnj »

Don't throw a pizza on the roof of the house Walter lived in.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#106 Unread post by Hanson »

Day 319 : Monday March 23, 2015 : Miles 22429

I am the one who knocks.
Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn't believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going into work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly up. Disappears! It ceases to exist without me. No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
WW

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#107 Unread post by Hanson »

Day 332 : Monday April 6, 2015 : Miles 24178

This last Saturday, April 4, I rode all over Texas visiting all seven designate Tour of Honor sites in Texas. This is my second year to ride in the Tour of Honor, http://www.tourofhonor.com/, and this year I am rider number 48. This was a maximum effort day long ride and I finished with less than 3 minutes to spare out of 24 hours as this ride will also be certified with the IBA. I experienced quite a bit of rain, lots of overcast miles, no blue skies, and almost no superslab. The vast majority of the ride was on secondary highways and there where lots of wildflowers in bloom, still early in the season, but quite lovely color.

I am still thinking about what I learned on this ride and what I am going to write about this ride.

I did notice that my motorcycle started making popping noises in the lower gears and my chain is really starting to stretch out. By the time I got home there was an enormous amount of slack in the chain and I don't dare take the cover off to inspect the front sprocket. I am now working with an online vendor, Blair at SV Racing Parts, to get a replacement. I am going to replace the OEM 525 ORing chain with a high quality 530 XRing chain and sprocket set, and I am also going to go up one tooth on the front sprocket. This last change change should help a bit with superslab riding, and should also make my speedometer a lot closer to the real world, but I will loose a bit of zip.

I will post more, likely on Tuesday evening.

Safe Travels,
Richard Hanson
Last edited by Hanson on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#108 Unread post by Hanson »

Day 333 : Tuesday April 7, 2015 : Miles 24211

The Tour of Honor, http://www.tourofhonor.com/index.html, is an annual charity ride, organized by Steve Brooks and a great team of volunteers, that benefits veterans and first responders. I think this is the 5th year for the ToH, my second year, and each year it just gets bigger.

How it works. A rider pays a registration fee, $15 goes to one of a few designated charities, and then the rider will get a rider package in the mail that contains a rider "flag", a hand towel with the rider's number printed on one side, a tea shirt and other bits of swag. The ToH picks memorial sights all around the country, seven in most states but some smaller states are combined into regions, and these locations are kept secret until April 1, when they are released. Riders then ride to different memorials, as many as they desire, take pictures at each site with their flag and motorcycle to prove that they where at that location, then email these photos to the verification team to get credit for visiting each location. Lots of fun and a great reason to go for a motorcycle ride.

There are trophies for the first three riders to visit all 7 sites in a state, or all the sites in a region, as well as certificates and such for people who visit at least 7 memorial sites between April 1, and October 31. If this is not enough of a challenge, there are other places to be visited and there is even cooperation between the Tour of Honor and the IBA. The IBA has a special Saddle Sore 1000 ride certification for people who visit 4 sites, or for people who visit 7 sites in a state or region. This is a challenge that I can't resist.

So... April 1 arrives and the memorial site locations are released to a bunch of avid riders at 12:00 midnight EDT. There are quite or few riders sitting at their computers who are soon out the door as they strive to earn a trophy by visiting all the sites in their state or region. I can't help but grin thinking about this wonderful foolishness, but this is not my thing. When you think about it, this is a reward for finishing in the shortest amount of time, and that is a race on public roads. That is not something I am going to do, but I love IBA rides which are a level effort achievement and not at all a race. I had thought about this for some time, and I will never be riding for a ToH trophy, but some day I might end up with one by accident. I will, however, ride hard and then submit my ride to the IBA for certification.

April 1, arrives and I take a quick peak at this years memorial sites in Texas.

>>>> 2015 Tour of Honor Memorial sites in Texas.

I fire up Basecamp, a Garmin mapping program, and get to work looking at various routing options. After about 15 minutes working on a plan, I am not a happy man. I like a challenging ride and I love to see a lot of country roll past as a day goes on, but a shorter ride can be a lot more fun as it gives you time to stop to take pictures, a few minutes to eat, a chance to take a nap. My favorite distance for a day ride is about 1200 miles, but I can ride a lot further if needed. I had been looking forward to a good, hard, fun, ToH ride, but the most efficient route I could find was 1505 miles. This is not that big a deal, not that hard on west Texas superslabs with posted speed limits of 80 MPH, all you need do is keep riding with fast, efficient gas stops. Sit there, twist that. The problem is that I also needed to visit all seven Tour of Honor sites including site TX7 that is deep down in south Texas in the city of McAllen, right on the border with Mexico. To get to McAllen and back, I was going to need to put some serious time in on the bike.

I spend the next couple of days thinking about this ride, considering the fact that almost all of the ride would be on secondary roads, thinking about the time it will take to document my visits to each memorial site, contemplating all of those small Texas towns I would ride through that get significant portions of their annual budget by giving performance awards to passing motorists. I let this ride ferment in my head for quite a while before I made the decision to ride. Then, it was just a matter of deciding what time to depart and looking at weather forecasts for the weekend. I left the house Saturday morning at about 02:45 CDT.

This was going to be a maximum effort ride.

>>>> Spotwalla track of my 2015 ToH ride.
Link to Spottwalla interactive map: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id ... f35d483429

The Iron Butt Association, http://www.ironbutt.com/, is an organization dedicated to the sport of safe, long distance motorcycle riding and they have rather strict rules to certify a wide range of level of effort rides. To document a ride, you must get computer printed dated receipts at the start and end of the ride, and then periodically along the ride and you must log your stops. The IBA is going to calculate your ride by looking at the distance between the addresses on each of these receipts, shortest distance between, and then adding up those numbers, so, if you have a complex ride you are going to need to document a lot of locations with a receipt to prove that you rode to that route. These tasks take time.

My first stop was very near my houme to document my starting location and time. I got my first gas receipt on April 4 at 02:58:53 CDT, the first of 12 gas receipts, and I tucked this slip of paper carefully into my wallet. I would return to the exact same station to document the end of my ride on April 5. I was then on my way to College Station, TX for my first ToH memorial site. The plan was to get there just a bit before sunrise in the hope of having a little light to get my photo, but it was still a bit dark when I arrived at 06:15 CDT.

>>>> ToH TX5 - College Station

I got a gas receipt in College Station to document the "corner" of my route and then I was off to Pflugerville, out side of Austin, then McAllen, San Antonio, Leakey, and so on. Each location involved getting a photograph containing my rider flag, the monument and the bike, and a stop for a gas receipt to document the ride for the IBA. At some locations, where it is not possible to get the bike in the photograph of the memorial, you must take a second photograph with bike and the location in the background.

>>>> ToH TX4 - Pflugerville

Note my helmet in the photo. This monument was about 500 feet into a park and I felt very strange walking with my helmet on my head, sharing the morning with quite a few people out for their daily exercise. This was the only time I took my helmet off for the entire ride.

>>>> ToH TX7 - McAllen

After Pflugerville, it was time to put on the big miles to get down to McAllen in south Texas and back. This is not a great ride, this part of Texas is rather boring, but it is just a matter of putting time in the saddle. There was also quite a bit of rain for the last 150 miles down to McAllen and then back.

>>>> ToH TX6 - San Antonio

For each memorial stop I need to make a log entry to document my ride for the IBA and I obviously need a photo for the ToH. My procedure is very strait forward and involves a specific set of steps that are altered as required by the circumstances of a location.

1. If possible, position the motorcycle facing the monument.
2. Take off both gloves and store in lap.
3. Write down mileage and arrival time in a notebook kept in the tank bag.
4. Get out rider flag and clip to windshield.
5. Get out camera and take the photo.
6. Check the photo to make sure all the elements are correct.
7. Put camera back in zip lock bag and then back in the tank bag.
8. Take down flag and put it back in the tank bag.
9. Write down time on note pad and zip up tank bag.
10. Depart

Don't get off the motorcycle if at all possible.

My log entry for ToH TX6 - San Antonio read "23509 16:43 16:46". Three minutes is a reasonable good time for grabbing a bonus under rally conditions and the ToH provides a great opportunity to practice basic rally skills.

>>>> ToH TX2 - Leakey

>>>> ToH TX3 - Fredericksburg

The ride between San Antonio, Leaky and Fredericksburg was just wonderful Texas hill country motorcycle riding with a lot of color from wildflowers, lots of twisty road, nice rugged hills, and no time at all to take any pictures. A ride like this is all about time management. The entire route is programmed into the GPS, a Zumo 390LM, and I have my estimated time arrival at the end of the ride continually displayed. At the start of the ride, my ETA was 02:18 on the morning of April 5, so I had a bit of a buffer, but I also knew that this time would change with the large number of stops I was going to be making. At each stop, I would loose some time, quite a bit if I have to get off the bike to get a photo down some path, or if I need to go into the a gas station to get a duplicate receipt. After a stop, I would slowly "claw back" a minute every now and then, but over the day I had been loosing a bit of time and this was expected considering all of the small towns I rode through.

When I entered Frederiskburg, I had 26 minutes of a time buffer. It was right at dusk so my first priority was to get my photo of the memorial, but I am always looking for a good gas station to get a quick fill up and a quality receipt. As I drove into town I noted a nice new Shell and decided that I would stop on the way out. Fredericksburg is a spring destination in the Texas Hill Country where people come from all over for the wild flowers, shopping, and a large number of thriving vineyards in the area. I hate traffic and I wanted to kill all the jay walking pedestrians, but I stayed on task, got my photo, and fought my way back out of town looking for the shiny new Shell. I passed a rather shabby looking Chevron that had been my planned stop, and was grateful for the Shell that was up ahead.

The GPS told me to turn right and I was soon out of town, no Shell station, no gas, no receipt to prove this corner of my route. Ok.... lets see if we can find a station, but no luck so I had to make the very painful choice of turning around and I ended up at the very Chevron at which I had originally planned to stop. I fill up with gas and I tell the rather old pump that I want a receipt. It tells me to "See Attendant", so now I need to grab my GPS and tank bag and head into the store to get that precious slip of paper with about 5 people in the line to the only cash register. I got my receipt and had a quick look. Good date, good time, good gallons, a street address, but no "Fredericksburg, TX". This is a required element for a solid receipt to submit to the IBA, but I had no more time. I scribbled Fredericksburg, TX on the receipt placed it carefully into my wallet and I got the hell out of that time sink of the town. My time in the bank, my time buffer, had been reduced to 7 minutes and I still had one more ToH location to document and then an additional 300 miles to get back to my starting location to end this ride.

I rode the next 100 miles angry.

Did I go for throttle up? Not at all. This is the sport of "safe" long distance riding, and there is nothing more important than getting home. Risk management is fare more important than time management and I ride with the flow of traffic to minimize interactions with other vehicles, or, if there is no traffic, I will ride just a bit over the posted speed limit, +2 or +3.

My final ToH location was to be in San Angelo and I knew that this was going to be well after dark. By the time I got there, 22:18, I had clawed back about 4 minutes of buffer time, but the site had no lighting at all and it was pitch dark. It was not going to be easy to get a good picture to prove my visit to the location. I have a inexpensive point and shoot with a built in flash, a flashlight, and the high beams on the motorcycle. With a good camera, a small tripod, and a long exposure, this would have been easy. I took a lot of photos and ended up with two that might work. One showing the flag on the bike and some of the location without using the flash and with my flashlight on the flag, and a second photo showing only the top edge of my wind screen, the top edge of the flag, and the memorial, a helicopter mounted on a large pole, illuminated by the camera's flash.

>>>> ToH TX1 - San Angelo

>>>> ToH TX1 - San Angelo

As I left San Angelo, I had only 5 minutes of buffer time and 300 miles to ride with one planned gas stop in Ranger, Texas.

When I arrived back at my starting gas station I pulled right up to the pump and started by fueling procedure. I had made it, but I had no time to make any mistakes. My pump spit out my 12th gas receipt to end my ride on April 5 at 02:56:16 CDT. I had ridden 1502.7 GPS miles with 2 minutes 37 seconds to spare on my 24 hour clock.

The two basic IBA rides are the Saddle Sore 1000, 1000 miles in 24 hours, and the Bun Burner 1500, 1500 miles in 36 hours. A Bun Burner Gold, is 1500 miles in 24 hours and is consider a much more difficult ride. I have done a number of BBG and this ToH ride would qualify for a BBG by 2 minutes 37 seconds and 2.7 miles, but the ToH does not allow BBGs so it will be submitted as a SS1000 instead. What is also true is that it was a very complex route and the verification team at the IBA might not get the same mileage numbers as did my GPS. It is best to pad a ride with extra miles, but the honest purpose of my ride was not to ride a BBG, it was to ride a ToH SS1000. A very long and hard SS1000, but that was my plan and I rode my plan.

This was a maximum effort ride and it allowed me to explore the outer edges of my personal performance envelope. I now have a much better idea of how much I can accomplish in a day of focused riding.

I emailed my photos to the ToH verification team and was credited with all 7 sites in Texas.

This afternoon, I mailed my certification documents to the IBA. To supplement the receipt in Fredericksburg, the one that is missing the name of the city and state, I went to the Fredericksburg Chamber of Commerce website and printed out the listing for the business that matches the name and street address on the receipt.

I wrote a lot about this ride as I want to be able to go back and think about what I had experienced and what I had learned.

Safe Travels,
Richard
Last edited by Hanson on Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#109 Unread post by Hanson »

Day 344 : Saturday April 18, 2015 : Miles 24387

I installed my new 530 chain and sprockets today. It took about 4.5 hours from start to finish, but this was a new maintenance item for me and I wanted to take my time. There where no significant problems, but there where a lot of individual tasks and I had to learn how to use the chain breaking / riveting tool that I had purchased. I am getting a lot faster at getting the rear tire on and off the bike.

After I broke the old 525 chain I laid it out flat on the ground and set the new 530 right next to it. The new chain is quite a bit more robust, but what surprised me is that both of the chains where the same length despite the fact that the old chain was 118 links long and the new chain was 220 out of the box. My old chain had stretched a full two links over the 24k miles I have used it. When I just looked at the chains, I was a bit dubious about cutting 2 links off the new chain so I took the time to verify the number of links in both before shortening the new chain to the specified 118 links.

It is my hope that the new 530 setup will give me more miles. It is both a more robust replacement and a higher quality chain to start with, and I will be using an oiler for it's entire life. The truth is that I am not that interested in doing a lot of ongoing chain maintenance, but I have learned a bit from this last year. When it is raining, crank the oiler way up and let it dump a lot of extra oil on the chain. I have also learned that a chain can go down hill fast over just a few thousand miles.

I saved the two extra links along with the two extra Xrings and I have a spare master link. When I travel, I will take my chain tool with me and these parts will allow me to perform an emergency repair on the side of the road if I should have a chain failure.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#110 Unread post by Hanson »

Day 348 : Wednesday April 22, 2015 : Miles 24454

It is just great having a new chain and set of sprockets on the moto. No more nasty crunching sounds.

Last Saturday I drove, yes drove, down to Athens and back, about an hour and half each way for a Scouting event, an OA call out. I wanted to ride the bike, but I was rather worn out from changing out the final drive components and when I looked at the weather forecast I was going to hammered on the way home. I think this is the first time since I have bought my motorcycle that I made the decision to take the truck when I could have ridden the bike, but it proved to be prudent as I had nothing but thunderstorms all the way home with a bit of hail and strong gusting winds. This would normally not be much of a deterrent, but I was already fatigued from the 4.5 hour maintenance effort earlier in the day.

Today, I performed an oil drain and filter change. I had planned to do this right at 25k miles, but I hope to get to ride this Saturday which will mean that I will be over that target mileage number by quite a bit before I get home. I took my time, but changing the oil is becoming a rather routine maintenance task and I was done in about 35 minutes.

I need to plan my Saturday ride, but I am going to visit all of the ToH memorial sites in Oklahoma. This should be a rather easy day with moderate miles and the weather looks like it is going to be just wonderful.

My wife's truck has not been running. I think it has a short somewhere that is draining the batteries, and it is hard to start in the winter even when we hook up the engine block heater. Susi has been driving my truck for the last four months, and I have been setting aside money to pay for repairs. Last night I went out and hooked up the jumper cables and then sat in my truck reading a book for a full hour to charge up the batteries in her Ford. After some heavy cranking, the old fart came back to life. In the past, when the batteries where low, some kind of factory theft prevention system was kicking in with an idiot lite on the dash and the motor would just quite. This time, I got a water in fuel light and for about ten minutes the glow plug light would flicker on and off. After it had warmed up nice, I drove it around the block a bit to see if everything was OK, and the fuel gauge went from about half full to dead empty and the low fuel idiot light came on. So I thought I would go fill it up, but a few minutes latter the fuel gauge came back to life and was back at half a tank. Obviously, there is something really screwy going on in the electronics and I hope that it is not a small fortune to fix.

Why all this dialog about my wife's Ford? Because there is no way I am going to get away with buying panniers for my Suzuki when he truck is not running. If I can get this fixed, then I can start saving for some luggage and hopefully by the fall I can do some motorcycle camping instead of just riding like a fool all over the place in a day. Instead, I will be able to ride like a fool for multiple days at a time.

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage