My Moto Guzzi V7. Does it smell like pizza or is it just me?

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: My Moto Guzzi V7. Does it smell like pizza or is it just

#221 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

A little summer picture from last year... 3 V7's... does that make it a V21?
IMG-20130126-00462.jpg
IMG-20130126-00462.jpg (118.2 KiB) Viewed 14768 times
Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#222 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

3150 miles.

Changed Transmission oil
Changed Shaft drive oil

What's crazy here is the transmission takes 1L of oil, but in the USA, it's sold in 1 quart = 946ml... argh.

Need to remember to change the engine oil in the next 400 miles. :D

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#223 Unread post by Hanson »

Mike,

Did your V7 maintenance schedule require you to change your shaft drive oil at 600 miles? I was looking at the schedule on the Super Tenere and basically the final gear oil is changed at 600 miles, and then every 12,000 miles. Is this a topical maintenance interval for a shaft drive?

Best Regards,
Richard
ImageImage

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#224 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

DATE TO REMEMBER for myself to check out a URAL:
2014 #URAL #DEMO #TOUR SCHEDULE UPDATED

As promised here's the updated schedule for the Demo Tour stops. Our guy, David George, is taking to the road with 2014 Urals. He will be stopping by dealers across the country and putting together demo ride events. Would love to see you there!

This schedule is not complete, we still have a few stops to add. Please check in here 2014 Ural Demo Tour for updates.
Here’s where we will be:
February 2014

Mar 9 - Gulf Coast BMW/Ural, Houston, TX

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#225 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Hanson wrote:Mike,

Did your V7 maintenance schedule require you to change your shaft drive oil at 600 miles? I was looking at the schedule on the Super Tenere and basically the final gear oil is changed at 600 miles, and then every 12,000 miles. Is this a topical maintenance interval for a shaft drive?

Best Regards,
Richard
Hi Richard,

I've owned 3 shaft drive bikes and I usually changed the shaft drive oil every other oil change. The exception to this rule is when they are new, in which case I'll change it every oil change for the first few times to get the metal filings out. My shaft oil changes for have been:

100 miles
500 miles
1000 miles
2000 miles
3200 miles

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#226 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Amazing it hit +29°C here yesterday, sunny and was a great time to work on the bike. :sunshine:

I installed new Disc horns on the Guzzi today as I'm really getting tired of the Houston drivers not paying attention those around them. The worse cause of this is cell phone use, particularly texting. The other cause is the careless non-use of turn signals, amazing to watch people change up to 6 lanes without a turn signal cutting people off in the process and not get any in an accident. Unfortunately both things happen quite often.

So off with the meep meep horns (109db) and onto bigger louder ones (136db) :kicking:

So I ordered up:

1. Trombe Stebel Motorcycle Car Electric Horn HF80 430 Hz High Tone 12V C152
2. Trombe Stebel Motorcycle Car Electric Horn HF80 340 Hz Low Tone 12V C152

painted them both flat black and installed them in the front of the bike rather than on the sides for MAXIMUM TOOT-A-LIGE

Now I can't wait to honk at someone...lol :D

Mike
Attachments
HF80-Horns.jpg
HF80-Horns.jpg (46.47 KiB) Viewed 14655 times

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#227 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Better loud horns than loud pipes.

I had a loud horn installed and it did make a difference. It gets heard.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#228 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

blues2cruise wrote:Better loud horns than loud pipes.

I had a loud horn installed and it did make a difference. It gets heard.
Like you, I'd rather have loud horns than louder pipes. I do think louder pipes do help but I'm on the side of "loud so you can enjoy the sound but not obviously so others get annoyed". Louder pipes passively help others to maybe hear your bike around them while I look at loud horns are active attention getters.

I definitely recommend upgrading a bike's horn as it's a tiny investment that can be priceless when you need it.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#229 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Man, That Guzzi is Fast!

I was out last night with my friend who just recently finished a full-on upgrade of this Sportster 1200. He has done an incredible job with it, building it for power and speed plus customizing it as well. I really have to admit it's the best custom Sportster I've ever seen. Rather than just adding chrome bits and bobs to it he (as a H-D mechanic) went into the engine and bored it out, added sport pipes, a Power Commander as well as adding a lot of "go-fast" internals as well. The 1250cc V-Twin pumps out 90hp+ now and is a real "big-twin" killer. Following him on his bike I can attest it's a beast of torque. Hopefully I can get a photo of it to post up as well one day.

Well, long story short last night he brought it to work/bike-night and after bike-night was over he headed for a 30min ride, of course he wanted to test out his bike and an unofficial Stop Light GP was in order. Well, light turns green we both WOT it, right to the redlines in 3 gears, I actually got the reaction time over him so I'm in the lead (waiting for him to pass me at any second, after all, I'm on 750cc vs a 1250cc supped up bike). Well, it really goes to show how impressive that V7 Guzzi is as he didn't pass me till I rolled off the throttle at 75mph (fast enough for me, ty) and I was still a bike's length ahead. I think if we went to 100mph he might have passed me as his 1250cc should have a higher top end. But both of us were blown away by the Guzzi's performance and trust me, his bike is not slow nor is he a slow rider by any accounts.

After we got to a local coffee shop, he comes up to me and says "man, that Guzzi is fast" and says he has an even bigger appreciation for the bike. (Honestly I beamed from that comment as it's not everyday you hear something nice like that). Heck, even I have a bigger appreciation of this 50hp bike. 50hp isn't a lot but the Guzzi continuously amazes me with. After all, other than the pipes and new horns my V7 is bone stock, I'd like to do more to it but there unfortunately isn't many "go-fast parts" available for it.

So I know now my V7 can hang in there with a supped-up 1250cc Sportster and is about 90% of a 1900cc Yamaha Striker. Truly incredible.

Mike

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#230 Unread post by Hanson »

Great story Mike.

The Guzzi is light, 395 pounds compared to 584 pounds for a 1200 Sporster, so the power to weight ratio delta between the two bikes is not a dramatic as one might first think although you should add the weight of the riders to each moto before making such a comparison.

You have a great bike with amazing stile!

Safe Travels,
Richard
ImageImage