To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

#161 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Today is our youngest child's birthday, she turns 14 today.

She's been in the marksmanship program at her school and doing very well, so we bought her a Ruger Youth 10/22 from a local pawn shop for her present. She's been asking for her own rifle for awhile, but over the last year she's really worked hard to earn it.

What she wanted was one of those youth model Crickets with the synthetic teal stock, but we looked at one it's just barely better than a toy. This Ruger will last her a lifetime, and it aligns with my morals to buy her a used rifle rather than a new one. Wins all the way around.

In other news, I've been listening to a new podcast and really enjoying it. New to me anyway, the podcast has been running for like seven year or something. It's the Cafe Racer Podcast, I recommend it to anyone that enjoys podcasts and motorcycles. Despite the name, they talk about all kinds of bikes, not just cafe racers, and I like the show enough that I'm even supporting them on Patreon. There really aren't a lot of good motorcycle podcasts out there, so finding one worth supporting is a treat.

I haven't done any of the stuff with Ursula I mentioned wanting to do yet, but I really need to. Temps have been cooling off around here, with overnight lows in the 30s, so I haven't ridden much. We wont put the bikes up for the winter though, we manage to ride at least two or three days every month in the winter. Not having to mess with trickle chargers or fuel stabilizers is wonderful. We also intend on picking up some heated gear this winter, so we may get to ride even more than normal.

That's all I've got for now! Thanks again for always coming back!

JackoftheGreen

#162 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I FINALLY INSTALLED THAT FUSE BOX!!

Actually I did it last Tuesday, the 8th. It went pretty well, got all my cowlings off without breaking anything and found all the leads I was looking for. The Connie forum I'm also a member of provided a great tip about a factory accessory circuit in the front wire boot, and I was able to find that very quickly and tap into it to supply the switch for my relay. A couple more power and ground wires and everything came together very nicely.

Putting everything back together was not as easy. Serves me right for leaving a bike taken apart for a whole week. I lost several of those plastic snap rivets. Not sure at all where they could have ended up, but they are GONE. I did a little poking around and realized that the grommets the rivets snap into are also threaded for an M5 bolt, so I bought a dozen of those suckers at Home Depot and put all that back together this afternoon. Now it's just the final panels that cover the battery and I'll be done.

After a lot of thought, I sacrificed the Connie's glove box for the fuse box. Not sacrificed exactly, it's still there, but now it's full of electrical components. I hardly use it at all, so the space will be much better utilized this way. As big as the Connie is, there aren't a lot of places to stash a six-slot fuse box with built in ground bus.

I did take some footage explaining how everything comes together and why, and now that it's all back together I'll do some more filming to show the final installation. So expect another YouTube video soon on the subject. This would make a great winter project for anyone who wants to be able to add some accessories to their bike, and it really is easy once you've got all the components together.

That's all for now! So glad I finally got this done! Next project, new tires for Carrie's CTX.

JackoftheGreen

#163 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Just a quick one tonight!

My daughters and I went to the shooting range this morning while Carrie was teaching, to try out the Ruger 10/22 we got my youngest for her birthday.

I took the first few shots with the rifle to get the scope 0'ed, and it was pretty bad. With an 18x18 target at 48yds, I literally didn't even get on the page. After a midrange barrage and some adjustments, things started happening.

Both girls are shooting roughly 4 or 5 inch groups at 48yds, which I'm pretty impressed with. I think we'll do a lot more shooting this winter and it's sure to improve. At $5 an hour it's ridiculously cheap entertainment. :)

I've got lasagna in the oven right now and it's going to be delicious.

Oh, and, a new item arrived today for our next review! Stay tuned for that.

JackoftheGreen

#164 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

This morning I did an unboxing, installation, and a little preliminary filming for the new product I'm reviewing. Initial results are interesting.

Once I'd done as much of that as I could do, me and the kids piled into the car and headed out to the motorcycle range to visit Carrie and help with the class. It was a little chilly for riding bikes, but everyone was in good spirits and it all went really well.

Now we're relaxing and enjoying a couple of beers in the quiet. Tomorrow morning the work week begins again.

That's all for now.

JackoftheGreen

#165 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Just goes to show, anyone can get sidetracked in the off season!

Things have been pretty busy around our household. This fall we came back to the basement bathroom project with a vengeance, and we've made a lot of progress. Toilet and sink are in, shower stall is 60% complete. We've done some work on the rest of the basement as well, putting up new walls to create a workshop/store room and rocking in the rest of the space. Right now my main focus is finishing the shower stall and finishing the built-in entertainment center the previous occupants started. To give you an idea how long this project has been evolving, penciled notes on the framing state "VCR" with measurements. Planned obsolescence...

In other news, we'll be attending the Progressive International Motorcycle Show in Dallas, TX in January. Keep an eye out for posts from that, we'll be filming and interviewing and just generally getting into the mix. We're staying in the Magnolia Hotel too, I think you're supposed to call these old hotels "grand old dames" or something. Anyway, we're looking forward to some Texas barbecue and chatting with industry folk. It will also be my son's first time flying somewhere, so I guess he'll get the window seat. :)

As always, thanks for reading. Be back soon with whatever else comes to mind.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#166 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Sounds like a good time will be had. Enjoy Texas and hope your boy does well flying. Might want to consider some sea bands for him. I fly a couple times a month for work and when I started this (about 2 years ago) I found I got bad nausea from the bank turns near take off and landing and the sea bands helped a lot without taking anything that could make one drowsy (not that I’m opposed to medication, but this worked for me) they’re pretty cheap on amazon.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

JackoftheGreen

#167 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

NorthernPete wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:57 am Sounds like a good time will be had. Enjoy Texas and hope your boy does well flying. Might want to consider some sea bands for him. I fly a couple times a month for work and when I started this (about 2 years ago) I found I got bad nausea from the bank turns near take off and landing and the sea bands helped a lot without taking anything that could make one drowsy (not that I’m opposed to medication, but this worked for me) they’re pretty cheap on amazon.
Thanks for the tip Pete, it didn't occur to us to take anything in case he gets airsick. I'll order a couple from Amazon and toss them in our carry-on. And thanks for the well wishes too.

I enjoy flying, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it more than a couple times a year. Not that I'd mind the flying, but airports can be a struggle here in the US.

JackoftheGreen

#168 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Hi Everyone! I wanted to take a minute and solicit some input from you all.

The Progressive International Motorcycle Show is touring right now, and we're going to be at the Dallas event Jan 3-5! I mentioned that in my previous post.

Anyway, there's going to be about 100 exhibitors there. I'm posting the exhibitors list here, please look through it briefly and let me know about any companies or products you're specifically interested in. If you have questions for them, post them here and I'll try to get them get answered while we're doing our interviews.

Thank you for your participation!

Adventure Moto, LLC- KTM www.adventuremotoktm.com
Adventure Out! www.motorcycleshows.com
AGVSPORT America LLC www.gearhousepros.com
American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association www.ahrma.org
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. www.hondamotorcycle.com
Arai Helmet, Inc. www.araiamericas.com
Arlen Ness Enterprises www.arlenness.com
Blaze Antifog www.blazeantifog.com
BMW Motorcycle Owners of America www.bmwmoa.org
Born Wild www.finaltouch999.com
Bridgestone Americas Tire Operation www.bridgestone.com
Browns Cycle www.brownscycle.com
Cedar Valley College www.dcccd.edu
Chatterbox www.chatterboxusa.com
Christian Motorcyclist Association www.cmausa.org
Click Heat dba WonderPax www.clickheat.us
Condor Products www.condor-lift.com
ConnectMe Solutions www.officewirelesslv.com
Cycle Gear www.cyclegear.com
Dainese USA INC www.dainese.com
DART Asia www.dartasia.net
Discover the Ride www.motorcycleshows.com
Eagle Rider www.eaglerider.com
EAR, Inc. www.earinc.com
Edelweiss Bike Travel www.edelweissbike.com/en
Eye Lab Rx www.eyelabrx.com
Geico Motorcycle www.geico.com
GIANT Bicycles USA www.giant-bicycles.com
Haas Moto Museum www.haasmotomuseum.com
Happy Feet www.happyfeet.net
Harley-Davidson Motor Company www.harley-davidson.com
Heidenau Tires/MotoAmore www.heidenautires.com
Heroic Racing Apparel www.heroicracing.com
HJC America, Inc. www.hjchelmets.com
Hogs 4 Paws LAMA Dallas www.hogs4paws.com
Husqvarna www.adventuremotoktm.com
Icicles Eyewear www.icicles.com
IMS Vintage www.motorcycleshows.com
Indian Motorcycle www.indianmotorcycle.com
Inearz Sport www.inearz.com
J & P Cycles Ultimate Builder Custom Bike Show www.motorcycleshows.com
K & N Engineering, Inc. www.knfilters.com
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. www.kawasaki.com
Killer Jewelry www.killerjewelry.com
KLD USA www.kld-usa.com
KTM www.adventuremotoktm.com
KTM North Texas www.slmracing.com
LemonRock Bike Tours www.lemonrockbiketours.com
Liqui Moly USA www.liqui-moly.com
Michelin Tires North America www.michelin.com/moto
Mosko Moto www.moskomoto.com
Moto Liberty www.motoliberty.com
National Cycle, Inc. www.nationalcycle.com
Native Moto Adventures www.RideNative.com
NBH Tech
Noel Optics
NoMar Tire Changers www.nomartirechanger.com
North Texas Norton Owners Club www.ntnoa.org
Papa's Motorcycle Apparel www.papasleather.com
Progressive Insurance www.progressive.com
Quin Design Helmets www.quintessential.design
Resort Vacations Inc. www.globalexchangevacation.com
RevZilla www.revzilla.com
Ride Out Africa www.rideoutafrica.com
Ride Texas Magazine www.ridetexas.com
Rider Biker Gear and Supply www.rider2riderliquidators.com
Rider Magazine / EPG Media LLC www.epgmediallc.com/#motorcycle
Royal Enfield North America Limited www.royalenfield.com
Russ Brown Motorcycle Attorneys www.russbrown.com
SHARK Helmets North America https://us.shark-helmets.com
Shift at IMS www.motorcycleshows.com
Shoei Safety Helmet Corp. www.shoei-helmets.com
Skoot Dog Motorcycle Leather & Gear www.skootdog.com
Stacyc Kids Zone www.motorcycleshows.com
State Farm www.statefarm.com
Suzuki Motor of America Inc. www.suzuki.com
Sykik www.sykik.com
Texas A&M Transportation Institute www.tti.tamu.edu
The Dallas Morning News www.dallasnews.com
TNR GRoup www.ultrabandusa.com
Tobacco Motorwear Company www.tobaccomotorwear.com
Top Koat www.topkoat.net
True Frequency Products LLC www.buytfp.com
UKoalaBag www.ukoalabag.com
Walking Tall Foot Correctors www.walkingtall.net
Wheelie Machine www.motorcycleshows.com
Wild "O Ring" Motorcycle Air Cushion www.wild-"O Ring".com
Wolfman Luggage www.wolfmanluggage.com
Women's Coalition of Motorcyclists (WCM) www.WCM2020.org
Women's Motorcycle Tours www.womensmotorcycletours.com
XDL Events LLC www.xdlshow.com
Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA www.yamaha-motor.com
Yamaha Powered Assist Bikes www.yamahabicycles.com
Yuasa Battery Inc. www.yuasabatteries.com
Zero Motorcycles www.zeromotorcycles.com

And that's the list. A couple we're really interested in is the camera set by Sykik, everything that Mosko Moto makes, and of course the two new bikes from Harley Davidson, the PanAmerica and the Bronx. We also want to check out the riding pants from Tobacco Motorwear. What else should we be sure not to miss?

JackoftheGreen

#169 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

iron cactus.jpg
Dinner at the Iron Cactus Mexican Grill and Margarita Bar! Delicious food and excellent drinks, if you've never tried Mescal before you should. Excellent flavor.

Show starts tomorrow at 3! Come back to see all the fun!

JackoftheGreen

#170 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Hey TMFans! It's the second day of IMS here in Dallas, and today I'm going to do some livestreaming on our YouTube channel for your enjoyment! I'm gonna get on the Wheelie Machine and try my hand at lofting, which of course I've never done. Sure to be interesting! We'll livestream a few other things from the show today as well, including the Harley Davidson LiveWire! They've got a couple of them bolted down and they're letting people climb on and spin 'em up! Those scissor-cut gears sound AMAZING.

Follow the link to the TMW YouTube channel in my signature and get subscribed if you haven't already, so you don't miss a moment of the fun today! And be sure to click the notification bell in YouTube so it alerts you when we go live!