To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

JackoftheGreen
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: To Ride an Iron Horse - Jack of the Green's Blog

#101 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Just an update and some plans for the future.

We're currently planning a weekend adventure for September, this time in Colorado. We're going to trailer the NInjas and pull them down to a KOA with our truck, so we can pack all our amenities and food for the weekend in the truck and don't have to slab it on the Ninjas with 80 pounds of gear. The KOA is really close to the Grand Mesa National Monument in Colorado, which is supposed to be really great riding, and although it'll be a little cool through there in September it should be fine riding weather during the day.

This is something of a test run for the sort of riding we're hoping to do in the future. We've had so much fun riding fun roads and finding little side adventures all over the place, but the slab is always awful, even when we were on the big bikes. So the plan is to get a small Class C motor home and pull the bikes to the fun roads while traveling in relative luxury on the highway. The other advantage of course is that we're spared the cost of hotel rooms and dining out, which adds up extremely fast and always seems to be the greatest expense when we're planning. Does it balance out against the cost of a motor home? Maybe not a $120,000 Class A or even a new $55,000 Class C, but against a used $10,000 Class C? Sure. Especially given it's capability as a second vehicle and that it would replace our current camping outfit anyway. Is it a purist way to motorcycle cross-country? Of course not. But I'm not sure I care about that.

So that's my update, feel free to sound off with any feedback. Always open to those with more experience.

JackoftheGreen

#102 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Just wanted to take a moment and update my blog. We haven't done much motorcycling this summer so far, since we did a lot of activities with our kids through July, but hopefully now that the weather's cooling off we'll get out more. My bike is at 1800 miles since we departed for the Lolo Pass trip, and I'm just letting it run to see where it ends up when I finally park my little beast for the winter.

We did get out last weekend though to an event I wanted to share. We saw Avenged Sevenfold in concert at the USANA Amphitheater in SLC, and it was an AWESOME show. A Day to Remember opened, a band I've never heard of before, and they were alright, but A7X tore down the house after those guys packed up.

Here are some pics from the event, hosted on imgur.

DEVIL HORNS!! Yeah, and look at my GORGEOUS Rubia!

More gratuitous posing, with the stage in the background. We had GA seats on the lawn and thank god, because the pit was a mess.

[/img]It's hard to see in the dark, but that stage is insanely huge, ten stories or more if I had to guess.

So that's my update. More to come as the summer wanes on, hoping to get in here more regularly to update. I know I say that every time, but this time I mean it, LoL.

JackoftheGreen

Uh Oh, Here Comes Trouble...

#103 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

So this just happened.

Can anybody guess what it is before I post the full size pictures? Let's give it 24 hours...

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#104 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Did you get your class c?

I think they are great.

JackoftheGreen

#105 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Not yet, we've looked at a couple and developed a plan but it's gonna be just a bit before we can afford to take that step. We're hoping towards the end of next spring we can start making some offers.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#106 Unread post by NorthernPete »

Versys?
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

JackoftheGreen

#107 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Correct!

I debadged him last night and currently looking into some vinyl and other additions. His name is Chimera.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#108 Unread post by NorthernPete »

I have a love it but hate it thing with the look of those bikes. I'm not sure which. Lol. Congrats!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

JackoftheGreen

Bike Night at The Union

#109 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Been a few days since I posted, so I thought I'd take a second and get something new up.

Rubia and I have been trying to get more involved in the local motorcycling community, attending a few bike night events and getting to know some of the local groups and personalities. It's been a lot of fun and we've been introduced to more than a few new friends, and we're even considering going on a couple group rides, maybe do a poker run or two. Rubia suggested the other day that we might even attend Sturgis in 2018! We'll start making plans now. :)

Here's a couple pics from our most recent bike night. The local community does them the third Tuesday of every month at a local "college" bar, the Union Tavern. They do a raffle with gift certificates and other swag, some karaoke, and they announce fundraising events hosted by the local MCs and other events specific to the motorcycling community in and around SLC. This is the second time we've gone, and we intend to keep doing it all winter long.

And yes, that is a TMW shirt Rubia is wearing, slightly modified. Here's a picture of the back:

Hard to get better publicity than that!!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#110 Unread post by blues2cruise »

If only I had known to "fashion up" my TMW t-shirts when I had them. :)