The Blog of Blues

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: The Blog of Blues

#1501 Unread post by blues2cruise »

JackoftheGreen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:00 pm So jealous!
I've got a Nikon D50 (D100?) with a 1.5f lens, but I think something's wrong with it. I can't get a clear picture in the EVF and every shot I take with it comes out blurry.
Hmmmm. The D100 is a superior camera to mine. Have you tried a different lens? Is the sensor clean? Is the mirror clean? Can you try focusing manually?

blues2cruise

#1502 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I have decided I am not enjoying the rides on my 1100cc V-Star. Aside from the loud pipes...I am finding it a bit heavy. My thumb joints aren't as good as they used to be, so once in a while I get a bit wobbly hanging on to the handlebar when I need to do something slow...like backing out of my yard in the dirt and stopping on gravel. Riding at street and highway speed is ok, but I need a new throttle rocker. That will help with the longer rides.

I have looked, but so far haven't been able to find stock pipes for a 2000 V-Star. Currently, the bike is LOUD. Too loud for enjoyment.

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#1503 Unread post by NorthernPete »

What pipes are on it? Perhaps you could order some aftermarket baffles?
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

blues2cruise

#1504 Unread post by blues2cruise »

NorthernPete wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 pm What pipes are on it? Perhaps you could order some aftermarket baffles?
DG Hard-Krome. Thanks for the idea. I can have a look.

blues2cruise

#1505 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Some days.....A week ago....
I went for a ride with a pal across to Spence's Bridge to go have lunch. The ride there was fine. After lunch, he went his way home via the Fraser Canyon back to Vancouver, and I rode the hour back to Merritt. The ride was mostly uneventful, until I turned onto a side road looking for potential fishing spots for when my brother came to visit. As I rode on the side road, I noticed a big dog running toward me from another side road. I kept going but when I stopped a bit further up to turn around, I saw the dog sitting right behind me. I'm not what you would call a dog person...and big dogs scare me.
I turned around to head back to the highway and as I started to move, the dog started chasing me. So, I rolled on the throttle to move quickly, but the dog was running ....in my mind....to "get" me....I made a quick shift to 2nd and was able to get away from the dog. I felt a sense of glee for not missing the shift so I could get away from that dog. I was so glad my rusty skills were working that day.

blues2cruise

#1506 Unread post by blues2cruise »

The advertising right underneath this post is about reducing sagging jowls. I won't click on that one....I'm learning to live with the signs of aging.....I can still ride. I can still fit into my gear and my 53 year old married neighbour seems to think my eyes are below my neck. hahahaha

Sometimes I do click on some of the ads because every click is money for TMW.

I read the review that jack wrote about the ear plugs. I may look for some. Though the decibel reduction is only moderate, it sounds like they fit well. I have some custom ear plugs but can't find them, so have been using the sleeping ear plugs. Regular foam ear plugs won't stay in.

I also read the article that Mr. Total Motorcycle wrote about the DCT transmissions....wondering if the days of standard shifting are coming to an end. I don't believe those days are going to end anytime soon, but I would certainly consider an automatic transmission if I get another motorcycle. My thumb joints have some arthritis and some days I make the decision to not ride because the joints ache. Not having to pull a clutch lever in and feathering it or doing rapid shifting would make riding longer a possibility.

blues2cruise

#1507 Unread post by blues2cruise »

One more entry for today. I went for a ride yesterday to Kamloops and back. It's a bit over an hour each way. Most of the ride went well. The Coquihalla portion was great. All the other motorists and truckers behaved. I was making my way through Kamloops to go see my niece. Riding along, going with the flow, but not tail gating....thankfully....the car in front of me suddenly stopped....not at a crosswalk...but just suddenly stopped. It took me a couple of seconds to realize that it was stopping and because I was getting close, I had to grab my brakes. I realized I was not going to be able to stop in time...so I veered to the left side of the car to avoid rear ending the car....of course, I braked too hard and started fish tailing....then the whole bike went sideways...then I skidded a little more...before managing to straighten up and ride across the road in front of the car that had suddenly stopped. I got to the curb.Once in front of that car, I could see the break in the fence and a pedestrian standing there. He looked rather wide eyed. I gather that the car driver had seen that person and suddenly stopped, but from where I had been, you could not even see the break in the fence, let along a person in there. There was a crosswalk painted farther along from where the car had suddenly stopped. Phew. That was such a close call. I found out that I am stronger than I realized. I kept the bike upright.
I keep going over it in my mind. Did I lose focus? Did my attention get diverted? Why didn't I notice the car stop? Was it because the crosswalk so farther away and I was looking up there and never expected a vehicle to stop so far away from a crosswalk? I'll never know, but I am so glad I missed it and stayed up right.

blues2cruise

#1508 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Laying awake in the night makes the brain start ruminating.....I kept replaying in my head the incident in Kamloops where I nearly rear ended the car in front of me....and I nearly dropped my bike. The whole scenario replayed in my brain and I realize now that the car in front of me did not have any brake lights. We (I) are so conditioned to be alerted by red brake lights, that I didn't notice on time that the car in front of me was stopped. Of course, we don't expect cars to stop suddenly for no apparent reason in the middle of a block.
I must do better.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#1509 Unread post by jstark47 »

blues2cruise wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:39 am The whole scenario replayed in my brain and I realize now that the car in front of me did not have any brake lights. We (I) are so conditioned to be alerted by red brake lights, that I didn't notice on time that the car in front of me was stopped. Of course, we don't expect cars to stop suddenly for no apparent reason in the middle of a block.
I must do better.
Blues, if you haven't been riding regularly, that automatic "distance to the vehicle in front of me" loop we all have running in our brains is probably a little rusty, that's all. When I've been riding daily and then don't ride for a couple weeks, the "skills rot" sets in quickly for me.

It's been so stinking hot and humid here I've ridden very little since early June. I was out riding today, and very self-consciously kept talking myself through the SIPDE loop through the whole ride. It takes me a couple hours of riding to get my scanning, alertness, and eye discipline back to top level.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

blues2cruise

#1510 Unread post by blues2cruise »

jstark47 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:23 am
Blues, if you haven't been riding regularly, that automatic "distance to the vehicle in front of me" loop we all have running in our brains is probably a little rusty, that's all. When I've been riding daily and then don't ride for a couple weeks, the "skills rot" sets in quickly for me.

It's been so stinking hot and humid here I've ridden very little since early June. I was out riding today, and very self-consciously kept talking myself through the SIPDE loop through the whole ride. It takes me a couple hours of riding to get my scanning, alertness, and eye discipline back to top level.
Thanks for that. Yes, probably rusty skills.

It's been hot here, too, but dry. Despite the heat, I have ridden a few times. Mesh gear helps a lot.

Now, I am helping out family by looking after my nephew so the parents could have a week off. Kids have been home in lockdown since mid March, so parents and kids need a bit of separation to help keep the peace. haha