So...are you going to go buy a camera?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#12 Unread post by Wrider »

Well if you happen to go through Gunnison (if your plans include Hwy 50 over Monarch Pass then you will hit Gunnison) let me know!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#13 Unread post by Johnj »

Doc there is a lot of construction in the downtown Kansas City area. I suggest you take I-435 toward Topeka the first time you see it. That will swing you out the west side of Kansas City and by the racetrack and all the restaurants a hungry man could want. Then get back on I-435 and it will swing you around to (?) US-71 south.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#14 Unread post by dr_bar »

Johnj wrote:Doc there is a lot of construction in the downtown Kansas City area. I suggest you take I-435 toward Topeka the first time you see it. That will swing you out the west side of Kansas City and by the racetrack and all the restaurants a hungry man could want. Then get back on I-435 and it will swing you around to (?) US-71 south.

Thanks for the info, should be rolling through some time today...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#15 Unread post by Johnj »

Ahh...Sorry, I get to go to work today. :|
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#16 Unread post by BuzZz »

You will love Arkansas Doc.

I had a G/F who lived there about 10 years ago and spent a fair bit of time there.

I noticed that most every road there was paved. The dinkiest little backroad in the middle of nowhere (nowhere being relative, you are never that far from somebodies house there) and you really have to work to find a gravel road ('dust' roads as they call 'em).

But the roads are nice and curvy, and the scenery is nice (if your into that, I'm not really into scenery myself, but even I noticed it... and the place smells great, nice and fresh).

I would love to take my bike down there one day. I spent my time fornicating (the women love our accent) and driving dirt track cars, but it is awesome riding country.

And they know how to eat. Lots of great food.... if your heart can take it. It ain't the most healthy menu, but Dam! it is good.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#17 Unread post by Nalian »

BuzZz wrote:I would love to take my bike down there one day. I spent my time fornicating (the women love our accent) and driving dirt track cars, but it is awesome riding country.
Oh BuzZz, I love your way with words. :lol:

dr_bar - good luck with the weather on the rest of your journey. I'm so jealous of all the trips. Stupid only 3 weeks of vacation a year. :frusty:

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#18 Unread post by dr_bar »

Well, I'm in the Springfied KOA catching up on emails. I don't have enough power to do an update right now, but the weather was great today, not too hot but plenty warm enough for comfortable riding. Will up date soon...

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#19 Unread post by MZ33 »

EDIT: Just a little sample of Monday night...
Nice vid, doc!
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#20 Unread post by dr_bar »

Thought I had better get going and finish this story Pictures are going to have to wait until I get at them with my photo suite...

July 31st
So, up in the morning and back on the highway after a real quick breakfast, I would have liked to look around the Wall Drugstore but time was an issue and I decided I had to roll.. I enjoyed most of S. Dakota, the part I hated the most was the wind. A steady crosswind the whole day made for one of the most exhausting days of my trip, they just blew all day long even after getting into Sioux Falls.

I decided to replace my camera, so after setting up at the KOA, I set out for the local shopping district. Finally I decided on getting a Canon Digital Elph SD960 IS. Image Wonderful little rig, it even takes HD video.

Well, I get back on the bike to return to the KOA and 3 minutes into the ride, the skies opened up and approx an inch of rain dropped in twenty minutes. Needless to say this rider in his shirtsleeves got soaked although it was a warm rain...Headed back to camp, had dinner and did a needed load of laundry, then a much deserved sleep after that windy ride.

292 miles

Aug 1st

Today turned out to be one of my longest rides. I started the day with breakfast at the local Cracker Barrel, (my what big portions.) Considering the ride was almost due south all day and the scenery was only so-so, I thought I’d be asleep before the first hundred miles, as it turned out, I got into a groove and just kept going all day long.

Pulled over in a rest stop in Iowa, being the day my niece was getting married, I thought I had better make a phone call. As it turned out, the call thrilled her to pieces and she made me feel okay about not making it to help celebrate her special day.

Tried to follow advice given by Johnj in regards to construction in Kansas City, but the GPS had me back into the downtown traffic way too soon. Oh well, I managed to make it through town without any delays so no harm done. Before long, I was setting up camp in the Springfield Missouri KOA.

Another day under my belt and only one more day before arriving at The Hub...

545 miles