Honda 599 New to Now

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#61 Unread post by Sev »

My Belated Birthday Ride:

I came into this world on Aug 16th 1983 and as a result people feel the need to celebrate the fact. Modest guy that I am, I cannot possibly imagine why. Well actually, the real celebration is for my Mom's Birthday Aug 16th 19....73 (shhhhhh). Yeah, we were born on the same day split by... 10 years... It's my story I'm allowed to be inconsistant if I WANT! Go write your own story if you want true accuracy. This keeps me in one piece.

So, like I was saying I got to celebrate my birthday, however because of the hours that I'm required to work for my job it isn't going to be a very good birthday. I start work monday night at 7 pm, and finish up at 7 am on tuesday (the 16th) then start again at 7pm on tuesday and finish at 7 am on wednesday. I'll be going back on Sat at 7am. That's right 12 hour rotating shifts, the bane of any humans existance.

Knowing full well that I wasn't going to be a pleasant person to be around on tuesday, wed or thursday(recovery day) I made arrangements to meet up with my Aunt and Uncle on Friday for a day long ride. I had jokingly offered to let my Uncle Gordon wash my bike. Since, when we were chatting on the phone he was telling me about his bike care regimen. I was in for a surprise.

I woke up bright and early on Friday morning and looked outside, sunshine, I LOVE it, looks warm, looks dry, it's going to be a good day. Absolutely perfect for a ride, so I grab the phone and make a quick call to my Uncle to let him know that I'm going to be heading his way shortly. On my way out the door Dad asks me to pick up his hat that he left there last time we went over. That's easy enough to do.

I pop myself onto the yellowhead and scream up to full speed for the ride from Sherwood Park to Spruce Grove. Once I get there I miss the turn as usual, but that's to be expected, I can never remember which subdvision he lives in until I've gone past it.

Okay circle back and pull onto the gravel driveway and scare myself silly with the slipping and sliding. I hate riding on gravel. But I make it safely to the concrete pad where I'm told to line my bike up to be washed next. Keep in mind I was expecting to go for a ride, not to be washing bikes. But Uncle Gordon has just hosed down my Aunt's V-star 1100, and put a coat of wax on his 05 Goldwing, so we need to wait for a while. As long as we're waiting we should clean my bike to. It's tough to argue with that logic, though I'm relatively happy with the way my bike looks now.

So I pull off the tank bag and wheel myself into place. We soap it down and go to work. He spent a lot of time on my back wheel, turns out that my chain lube had been flinging off and landing on the wheel which then had black dirt sticking to it. My wheel is black, I didn't notice. Though it looks a lot cleaner with the garbage scraped off.

After we get everything washed and dried we're called inside for lunch, and loot. I'd come out thinking we were going on a ride to celebrate my birthday, turns out I'd actually gone out there to get my birthday present (and Dad's hat). My Uncle Gordon and unt Janet had gotten me all of this stuff.
From left to right:
Microfiber cleaning cloths
Meguiar's Scratch-X
Mastercraft rubber wrench (for changing oil filter)
Sottex synthetic drying towel
Meguiar's Gold Class wax
Jobmate carry all

Everything I need to take care of my bike the right way.

So back out the garage to learn how to use everything. Uncle Gordon took the time to point out how much damage the tankbag had actually done to the paint. All kinds of little nicks and scratches. So first we took a little of the scratch-x polish and worked that into the marks which smoothed them out quite a bit.

Then we started to wax. He took the wax and I had a microfiber cloth. He'd slap on a layer and I'd take it off. All I can say is this stuff is amazing, it goes on easy and it just lifts away afterwards. My experience with wax prior to this stuff was Turtlewax ultra hard. Now when I put that stuff on, it was the work of half an hour to fourtyfive minutes of hard scrubbing to get it off. But the Meguiar's just slides off. We put on 6 coats in 1/2 an hour for all my paint work.

The nice thing about my bike is that it distinctly lacks chrome, so I didn't have to polish it at all :D. But I helped wax and polish the v-star and goldwing. It was actually pretty relaxing. Wax on wax off and all that :D. Shades of the kung-fu kid or whatever it was called...

After we finally got all the cleaning out of the way I set about strapping all my new stuff onto the bike and we were off. Stop for a quick fill up and away we go. My Aunt had to attend to a meeting so she wouldn't be joining us, but we were off none-the-less.

North and West, in search of twisties, the more the better. Alberta is pretty flat, and the roads are pretty straight, but Uncle Gordon had been through there before so he knew all th good roads. We made it out to some sleepy little town where it seems like everyone is either really old or really young and decided to stop for a drink. I had orange juice he had coffee. And we got STARES. All the old people looked a the big scary bikers (hahahahahahahaha college student and engineer) like we were some sort of hooligans. But I guess we cannot really blame them hehe.

After we'd had our drinks we took off again. Uncle Gordon like to lead, and I don't mind following, but at some point we managed to find grasshoppers, lots of them, for several km actually. It went something like this. Travelling at 100kmh through some pretty nice turns my Uncle would lead on the inside and come upon the grasshoppers really quickly, I'd keep pace just a little ways back. The bugs didn't realize he was there until he passed, then they would jump... and I'd go through them.

I don't know how many of you have been hit with grasshoppers before, but I'll assume most, and then describe it anyway. It's like getting hit with a rock. They were bounching off my knees, hands, chest, helmet, arms everything, and it HURT. I could feel my poor clean bike shuddering under the repeated impacts and constant abuse. I solved the problem quite readily by pulling forward until I was just behind him. This meant they jumped into my bike, but couldn't get high enough to hit me... still it was sad to see all that cleaning go down the drain. Then again, that's why we have bikes right?

We worked our way back to Spruce Grove where where Uncle Gordon turned off, and I continued East to Sherwood Park. Along the way I happened to check my milage. I'd gone 300km since my last fill up. And my idiot light had not come on. Typically it comes on about the time I hit 200km. But Uncle Gordon rides pretty conservatively compared to myself, so that might account for the difference in gas mileage.

However, I was concerned. 300km is the maximum theoretical range for my bike, so I spent the rest of the ride home wondering if I was about to run out. I didn't, actually when I'd stopped to fill up, I'd only used 12.34 liters... for a reported 306 km on the trip meter. WOW! That's really really good mileage, and a really cool thing to know.

Remember the grasshoppers? This is what greeted me when I got home.

You can see bits of bug imbedded in my rad, smeared across the mudguard and beaten into the tank. Suffice to say my leathers looked even worse. So I hauled out the hose and soap and went back to cleaning.

About that time, my friend gave me a ring and asked if wanted to go for a ride. You remember Russell? How could I say no?

He showed up in fine form.
It ended up being a short ride around town with him followed by a movie. But was still a lot of fun.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#62 Unread post by Sev »

Hmm, my blog is quickly making its way South on the list of threads, looks like I'll have to make up some story or other to push it back to the top.

Unlike Gummiente I don't own a Ural, and despite my best finnagalling I've been totally unable to get him to purchase me one. Sigh, so my riding season is over. The temperature never hits positives, and there's a lot of ice everywhere, I've had a run in with ice once and that was enough (I'm still trying to grow some new skin).

So what should I babble about this time. I know :D.

For the last two years my friends and I have participated in the Edmonton Alberta Toy Run. Last year we took 4 bikes and 8 people. While we were there we took this picture.

From left to right it is. Johnny, Jen , Jocelyn, Russ, Gord, Kelly, myself (Jeff), and Debi. Since the pic was taken, Jen stopped hanging out with us, Joc, and Russ moved to Vancouver and Debi broke up with me. Leaving 4 of the original 8.

Anyways, I've often hopped on here and talked about The Garage Burger Bar. It is without a doubt the best Burger you will ever find in Edmonton, and I'd be willing to wager Alberta of even Canada. They are simply amazing. They've been voted the best 6 years running now at any rate.

The restaraunt is literally an autoshop that was converted into a burger bar. For quite some time a 1973 Goldwing was actually stored right next to the front door.

Over both summers that I've been riding we've tried to make a point of biking over every Sunday (work interfered for me a lot) to have lunch. While the food is amazing, it is not the main reason we went. Jim who owns both The Garage and the bar next door called Boots would make a point of coming over and sitting with us and chatting for a while. Every Sunday when we showed up the one little parking spot out front was kept clear for our bikes, sometimes he'd even be standing outside waiting. Jim is a great old guy with an infectious laugh who was always willing to take a little time out of running his places to talk with us, and keep up on what was going on in our lives. We all quickly became fast friends. I can recall a lot of very pleasant afternoons sitting on the patio in the sun enjoying a burger and a coke.

However once the snows started to fall, we started to go less often. It's not as much fun to be biking through the ice and snow. So last year just before christmas we got everyone together and went out for dinner. Carrying a framed copy of the picture above. Jim came out to greet us as usual, and we gave him his gift. Now, I refuse to take any credit for this. Near as I can tell Gord and Russ came up with the idea and excuted it. In any event he got all teary eyed and disapeared into the back. I personally can't imagine that anyone would want a picture of me, or any of us for that matter. But shortly after he dissapeared Dave (the server that night) showed up with 8 sambucca shots. Jim had bought us all a shot. He came back out in time to watch us drink them.

All in all, it was a great night. And if you were to walk in through the door right now you would see that picture up there hanging on the wall to your left. The 8 of us hung up where even the employees aren't pictured. It always felt a little weird to be up there, but in a good way.

The best part was this summer (2005) when we started going in ever week again. With our picture on the wall, and our bikes in the one real parking spot we'd get to sit out on the patio as usual. Occasionally we'd notice someone looking at us finny. Not the normal funny looks, but the funny looks where the person looking at you thinks that they recognize you from somewhere. After a while they'd make the connection and the glances back and forth between the pic and us wre quite amuzing. I suspect the various waiters were asked about us on occasion as well.

The same as last year, Jim would always make the time to talk to any of us that showed up. Filled us in on things he had been doing, and asked about everythign that we'd done since the week before :), and our parking spot was always open.

Once again, we attended the Edmonton Annual Toy Run, though in severly diminished numbers. We had intended to take a picture of the remaining people. Which would have been, Johnny and Tina (his GF), Russ and Joc, Gord, and finally me. Kelly had chosen not to attend, and I was single at the time. So a pic of the 6 of us.

Russ ended up having to work and missed the Toy Run altogether, though he did meet us at lunch for a Garage burger. While we were there we grabbed the Camera and talked to Dave (from above). He got one of the other waiters to distract Jim in the back and snuck us into the kitchen where he quickly snapped a couple pictures of all of us in there. The idea being we'd be giving him another picture to hang on the wall for christmas.

However, even Gord's masterful photoshop abilities were not up to the task of fixing the problems caused by bad light, and worse models. So Gord being the genius he is created this picture that was snapped as we all got off our bikes after the Toy Run. He then edited the license plates as you see below and had 3 copies made up. One went to Jim as our christmas present for him.

We had planned to meet up for lunch on Sat the 17th to give it to Jim, but Johnny and Tina were moving into their new place. So Gord and I went alone. When we got there we got 4 burgers to go and Gord gave Jim his picture with the order that he shouldn't open it until he had left (at this point I didn't know I was getting a pic). Jim joined us for a quick coffee while we waited for the burgers to cook, and afterwards we packed everything up and headed to Johnny and Tina's place. Where Gord hauled 3 more packages out of his bag. Two of the above pics for Johhny and I, and one of Johhny and Tina standing on the top of Kicking Horse mountain during last years ski trip to Golden.

Needless to say we were all umbfounded. But a beer and a bunch of amazing burgers later we got work. We got all of their furniture put together, and a couple of pics placed strategically above the fireplace.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#63 Unread post by Sev »

So, it's been a long cold winter (hahahaha) actually things rarely got below freezing, but because of a couple of problems (logistics and insurance) I was unable to get out and go for rides on the days that were warm enough.

Christmas I know that both BuzZz and Gadjet went out for a quick spin, but I was in Lloyd visiting my Nana, fully 300km away from my bike. No joy, however both of them have pics of themselves out riding! GRRRR

Then the second weekend of Feb on Sunday it was +10, +10, Feb is typically the coldest month in Alberta, and there were sooooooo many bikesout on the road. But that Friday I had recieved a letter from my insurance company saying my insurance was cancelled, and it was illegal for me to go for a ride with no insurance. So the poor thing just sat in the garage again. Whatta bust. Monday I went in, turned out to be some mistake in paperwork somewhere, they lost track of a payment, I don't know, I didn't care. I was still insured and hellaciously pissed off. Monday was cold and blustery, Tuesday was worse.

I missed my opening.

Fast forward to today March 28th:

Grrrrrr, I wimped out, and wish I hadn't.

All the news stations were forecasting flurries in the afternoon today, so like the putz I am I decided I would rather take the bus then ride the bike in to work. Poor thing sat in the garage again. Quitting time rolls around and sure enough there were a couple of flakes coming down (read 5) in fact I thought for a second that it may have been dirt on the windows.

By the time I'd gotten all my stuff together, the sun had broken through and there was no snow. Walking home I watched the roads like a hawk, there are a couple of wet spots, but nothing major.

I'm hoping and praying it doesn't snow overnight. If so I'm biking in tomorrow. Get to go from the quiet polite guy who reads a lot, to being a biker, AWWWW HELLL YEAH!

What I did do, was haul my bike out of the garage and onto the driveway. Refitted the battery and cranked it, and cranked it and cranked it and cranked it. Nothing, okay, check the petcock, it's set to on... "poo poo" I know what happened. Last year when I tried this on the Savage the problem was that the carbs had basically dried out, so there was nothing for it to start on. I solved that by flipping the petcock to prime and letting them fill up then starting it. My Honda doesn't have a prime setting, so I threw it to reserve and gave it a bunch of throttle while starting it. It took 2 or 3 tries to get it to turn over, but it finally did.

Let it run for a while, and dusted it down, then slapped a couple of coats of wax on it. Flicked it into gear and popped it back in the garage. I'm ready to go.

Oh, and my blog is back at the top of the list. Hehehe, here's hoping I'll have lots of stories to keep it there.

Last edited by Sev on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#64 Unread post by blues2cruise »

It's good to see you writing again. What is the weather like in the beginning of October there?

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#65 Unread post by Sev »

It varies so much, last year I was still riding in October, I think my last ride was the 13th. But even 5 years ago we'd have had snow up to my knees by then. I kind of like this global warming thing.

One of these days I'm going to vacation on the rocky islands, and bike along the coast of Alberta.

Actually, I might be taking a trip out to BC sometime around the end of April to visit my best friend. If so I'm hoping to put the word out to meet up with a handful of you BCites for a coffee or beer or something.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#66 Unread post by Sev »

Okay so, it's been slowly warming up out here. What does that mean? my bike hasn't been collecting dust in the garage. WOOHOO. Thursday after work, I got home close to sunset and ran inside after trudging home through melting snow and mud. I had a portable hard drive enclosure that arrived in the mail, and my Dad was looking forward to seeing me test it.

Screw him, I'm going riding. Grab my pants, jacket, and helmet and I'm out the door. Gear on, start the bike, and away I go. Up and down mainstreet (Baseline) three or four times and it's starting to cool off so I decide to cut it short to avoid the possibility of encounter ice. Back inside and aaaah, I'd forgetten how wonderful it feels to actually ride. I needed that.

Set up my HD, I have another 160gigs of storage space... where do I get all these movies???!!!

Friday was even better, I woke up bright and early this morning and looked outside, once again the roads were dry though the temp was hovering at -2. Screw it, I'm not taking the bus again. I put my gear on and head to work. A very short ride (5minutes) but uneventful in that nothing scary happened, despite the ice all over.

Today I worked a 9 hour shift, which means I got an hour off for lunch. Now, who in their right mind would hang around my job for an hour when you've got 60 minutes to mess around with? Back into my gear and off down the road, it's +5 and the sun is shining. The roads are essentially clear though there is some gravel to avoid. Around and around I go, with a quick stop at the A&W for lunch and I head back to work.

I report in for the second half of my shift where I get more good news. I mean, today has been an awsome freaking day. Work itself sucks, but I didn't get tooo many bad customers today, and I got to go for a ride on my break, WOOOOOOOO! But better then that, when I return I find out that anyone who is "unrestricted" is going to be getting a bonus.

Now unrestricted means that when you sign on to work you signed up saying that you would work ANY hours we are open (which I did). Because many people say that when they apply, then change as soon as possible to only working certain hours (restricted) a new policy was introduced, if you're unrestricted you get a bonus $2 per hour so long as you stay that way. If you go restricted you lose it forever no matter what. I'm unrestricted, I'm getting an extra $2 per hour on my paycheque, for doing nothing. BOOYAH!

6:15 rolls around and it's time to go. Back on the bike and away I roll, back down Baseline to home, poor thing needs a wash now, but I've got Sat and Sun to do that. I'd rather be riding anyways.

Going to have to start looking for my new jacket soon. I've agreed to go looking with a friend next week hopefully, he is thinking about getting a bike, so I'm gonna make him sit on a bunch, and try on gear and stuff. Gonna be hella fun.

Last edited by Sev on Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#67 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Your excitement comes through in your words.

How long is Baseline?

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#68 Unread post by Sev »

About 6km :(

I've put 60km on just doddering around in the last 2 days. I'm hoping to get a lot more soon.

Aggroton
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#69 Unread post by Aggroton »

I thought you would appreciate this...

A little back story. I used to own a 1964 honda trail 90. I went to the honda shop for stock things like spark plugs and air filters for it. Everyone there just seemed like a prick. So eventually I loathed even going in there. So long story short...I know own my excellent Yamaha. So the guys at the Yamaha shop are more helpful than needed sometimes so it makes me loath the honda shop even more. Needless to say I was out riding and i passed the honda shop. There was an old cb750 sitting out front so I stopped to check it out. It was in good shape but they wanted way too much for it. So i decided to look around in the shop for a rare gem hiding in there that might be worth the price and the hassle of dealing with these goons. So i walk in and there it is first thing I see. The '06 599 in that matte black and grey finish. I instantly fell in love and almost signed the paperwork...but alas...common sense won over. But in my dreams about riding...its now on a 599.
http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/06_599_DetC.jpg

:pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt: :pbjt:
thats a sweet bike.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#70 Unread post by Sev »

Yeah Aggro it's a unique looking little bike. Built to a price for sure, and it shows it in some places (suspension springs to mind). But I have NO regrets about buying it. I'm glad I got the '04 instead of the '05 for the most part. I'd like the inverted forks, but I don't like the front fender, the front comes to almost a point, as opposed to the rounded one I have. and the clocks are ugly, with a gross digital speedo. That being said, I love the OeM rear cowl, and wouldn't turn one down in Honda Yellow.

In other news, I've put about 250km on my bike in the last 10 days. It's a 3km ride to work, and a 20-40km ride to get home :D. I have yet to do any major trips, but I did go shopping today.

My friend Brent and I had agreed to get together on April 8th around noon to go shopping, he wanted to look at some bikes because he is considering buying one. I'm recomending he take training through NAIT, I got a lot out of my training there. I'd arranged to have the car for the afternoon (he is a big guy, I'm not and neither is my bike). That and I have no gear that'd fit him, and he doesn't have any gear.

So, I wake up at 8:00 putter about played some videogames and gave Brent a call around 11:30 no response. Okay, read my book for 1/2 an hour and call again. He answers, but is sick as a dog. Can we go next week instead? Yeah, no worries, you won't have any fun if you're coughing so hard you cannot sit on the bikes without the possibility of accidently knocking them over. We can go next Saturday.

Sooooooo... what am I going to do? Well, the reason I wanted to go in the first place is because my tax rebate finally came in, and I wany a new jacket. I'd like an armored textile jacket, preferably something that's waterproof, and fairly heavy. A lot of my riding is in the cold, and I lack body fat, so riding for me can be REALLY cold.

So, downstairs I head, gear in hand and out the door. Car is gone... hrm, that's okay I can bike. But it's a little annoying that someone took it even though I was told I'd be able to use it. Guess it's for the best that Brent was sick, we wouldn't have been going out anyways, haha.

On the bike and out onto the street. Make a turn onto cloverbar and I'm doing 80kmh in second and I didn't even realise it. Back off to a sedate 70 and head for the highway. Around the corner onto the onramp and away I go. I've noticed that I have the bad habit of leaning out of the corner increasing my required lean angle. Not normally a problem as I don't have the chance to do a lot of twisties, but it might affect me later on, sooooo I need to work on it.

This is obviously a bad habit, so I'm trying to train myself to lean into the corners more. The onramp is a really nice S-curve so around I go. Doing 100 in the first turn and around the bend for the next one. Merge onto the highway so away we go. 130 with the wind behind me and no effort to do it. Kind of cold though.

So, I'm shooting down the yellowhead, Westbound with the eventual goal of hitting up Alberta Cycle to look at jackets. When some twine in a wanna-be sports car comes tooling up behind me like he's hot "poo poo". I notice him coming so a quick shoulder check and I'm out of his way and he goes flying past... WOW that was fast. 2 minutes later I pass him just by maintaining speed. Sigh, why is it so important for people to pass the guy on the bike? And why do they slow down immediately afterwards? What are they trying to prove?

Once I get into Edmonton the speed limit drops off, but the road gains a couple of twists as it turns into a series of underpasses and reallignments to deal with all the stupid things the city planners did. So I get to enjoy myself running around the corners and making some passes using the full three lanes. I'm having so much fun I don't even notice Alberta Cycle until I'm parallel with it (read: missed my offramp). In a car this would be a major concern, because who wants to waste the damn time. On the bike it's, ""fudge" it, I'll take the next one and double back." So I do, a couple of quick turns and I'm in the parking lot looking at a LOT of bikes. SV650 seems to be one of the more popular makes there, but it is a Suzuki store.

Inside I head and straight to the back. I try on the following jackets, each more dissapointing then the last:

Joe Rocket Meteor 5

The medium was to big the elbow pads covered my forarms, and they didn't have a small.

I found an Icon Timax in medium that fit
but the "armor" felt like it was nothing more then a thin layer of pillow material with some heavy fabric over it. Nothing about wearing it was confidence inspiring, my old leather jacket felt sturdier then it did. Definately a case of looks over use (to me). Though the cloth felt very heavy, probably very resistant to abrasion.

Then I tried on the Joe Rocket Atomic 2.0
It wasn't to bad, a decent fit, but none of the armor lined up where it should. Sooooo I kept looking.

I found some singles of some Teknic stuff, all WAY to big for me, and some other jackets that I didn't really like.

Then on a rack in the back I found a Joe Rocket Alter Ego

Not the nicest looking jacket in the world, but it was the right size, the armor lined up exactly where it should be, and better yet, it's like 3 jackets in one. It has an inner liner that extends down both arms and zips out very easily, and an outter liner that zips off the back and underside of the arms turning it into a 1/2 mesh jacket. And the part that zips off folds into an attached backpack that clips into place. It tightens up around the waist really well, and closes cleanly around my neck. The arms are about the right size for my skinny little twigs, and won't ride up if I'm sliding. And I kinda like the way it looks, I'll probably be posting pictures later. I need to find a sword and a gun first though :roll: :roll:.

I made a point of sitting on a bunch of bikes while wearing it. And I got some wierd looks from customers (who had no idea what I was doing shifting around on the bikes, shoulder checking, clutching, reving and just basically doing everything I do while riding). And some knowing looks from the salespeople who knew exactly what I was doing. Made me feel pretty good. It pretty much fit perfectly no matter what I did. I tried on the medium size, but it wasn't quite as good so I went with small.

Out to the parking lot where I tear off all the tags and throw my old leather jacket into the bag. Strap the bag to the back of my bike with a bungee net and head off to the West again, why go home now? I tour around Edmonton for a little while just picking streets at random. Then work my way North back to the Yellowhead, then East towards home. Back through the "twisties" a term which I use loosely... and onto the actual highway.

Now, on my way into town I had the wind behind me, this means that I was riding into the wind on the way home. But remarkably enough, thanks to my new jacket I was warmer coming home then I was going to the store. I'm even happier with my jacket now.

I take the first exit into Sherwood Park and head down Broadmore road. A goldwing makes a left turn to pull in behind me along the way. I decide that I'm going to stop for something to eat at Tim Horton's, so I go through the 5 turns through the parking lot... with the goldwing following me the whole way. That was kind of creepy. I lost him when I parked, but still it was wierd having him follow me that far.

Chicken Sandwich and cup of really bad coffee later I'm ready to go. Back into my gear and away I go. Along the way I catch up with a guy on a big black sportbike, end up passing him when he gets stuck in behind a truck. While I was waiting to make a left hand turn onto my street he pulled up beside me. We started chatting and it turns out that he has one of two 2006 GSXR-1000 Ltd Edt (all balck) in Alberta.

We asked about each others bikes while waiting for the light to change, and talked about the ride's we'd just taken. He was in the habit of throwing his bike into neutral at the light, and balancing on his tippytoes (to short) with his hands resting on the tank. I kept my traditional hand on the clutch and foot on the rear brake.

That was a sexy little beast. Made my mud splattered 599 look a little shabby.

Too make matters worse it was his GF that bought it for him. I asked where I could get a GF like that, but he didn't know.

We both took the corner at about the same speed (fast) but his bigger engine had him down the road a fair bit faster, though I was not far behind. I turned off to head to my house with the traditional wave, and he kept on going. Nice bike is all I can say.

I pull onto the driveway and get the garage door open. Toss my helmet inside and go back out to ride my bike in the garage. As I shut it down and get off I see the car I was supposed to have drive up. LoL. Mom was worried I'd be mad at her for forgetting, but it's her car right? And I didn't need it/wouldn't have used it anyways so it didn't matter. And I got to show off my new jacket.