CYNWAGON's travels without the wagon

CYNWAGON
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

CYNWAGON's travels without the wagon

#1 Unread post by CYNWAGON »

First, a little history;

I grew up outside of a small Alberta town and have been driving since I was 10. I drove anything I could get keys for, cars, pickups, tractors, bikes, trikes, snowmobiles - anything.

When I was 16 the allure of bike left abruptly thanks to one guy. My fault for being stupid enough to get on the back of the bike. His fault for being stupid enough to drive like he did. I didn't get seriously hurt but it scared me off anything with 2 wheels for about 15 years. I haven't driven anything but 4X4s since.

Fast forward to the years 2000 and 2001. Married, 2 kids and a dog. We lived in a small city outside of Edmonton. My husband's mother passes away at age 50 from colon cancer. Our lives changed. We decided that life is too short and if you want something - go get it. the week after she died, we put an offer on our acreage and moved back to the country. I never did adjust to city living!

The next summer, my husband decided he wanted a bike. Fear and trepidation crept in, but he's not a 16 year old idiot, but it is a bike, but he's not a 16 year old idiot! He bought a 2000 Honda Shadow. At first, I hated that bike, REALLY hated that bike! The only problem was that I hadn't seen my husband smile like that in a long time, so after a while, me and Shadow had a tense but understanding relationship.

After riding for a couple of seasons, with me waving from the driveway, he felt he was ready to take a passenger. Yah, I'm good. I had absolutely no desire to relive the past on the back of his bike. Finally he convinced me, after a couple months of prodding to get on the back. To his credit, he is a very good, smooth rider. I didn't mind being on the back of the bike but I still had some control issues, so it didn't happen very often.

In the spring of 2007, he traded up to a Suzuki M109R, 1800cc compared to 750cc. I rode on the back once. There was no sissy bar on the this one and that coupled with the difference in torque scared the begeegees out of me! He was upset because he loves his new bike and wanted to share the experience. I told him guy time without the wife was important too!

I turned 35 this February. I'm not sure if this was the year that I decided to reevaluate and have a mid-life crisis or if I was just sick of his whining, but I signed up for a motorcyle safety course. I had every intention of taking it and walking away from it just to shut my husband up once and for all.

I couldn't get in until the beginning of July, they fill up fast here, with the limited amount of riding time. As the date neared, my husband became more excited and I became more terrified. I needed better gloves - lets' go shopping. You need better boots - let's go shopping.

He was getting so excited and I kept telling him there was no guarantee I would even finish the course. I was willing to keep an open mind, but I wasn't taking the course to get my license. If I felt comfortable - fine, if not - fine too.

Next - Alberta Safety Council Motorcycle Course
'08 Suzuki M50 Yellow & Grey (she's my bumblebee)

kawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by kawgurl »

Cynwagon - congrats on moving forward to riding your own - what a great story. Nice to see some fellow Albertans on here as well. Good luck with your riding adventures - my husband and I spent many hours of "quality time" on separate bikes! :lol:
[b]~Robyn~[/b]
'09 Kawi Nomad 1700

[i]"Sometimes the best communication happens when you're on separate bikes."[/i] ~Author Unknown

CYNWAGON
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by CYNWAGON »

July 7, 2008

First day of the course...

8:00 AM Coffee in hand, show up to the Safety Council. I'm driving my brand new truck - not even a week old - and I'm thinking why am I doing this????!!!

Luckily for me, the class is about 50% women. It was really amazing the spread of ages and gender. I felt a little more comfortable knowing I wasn't the only one feeling a little dread going into this.

There was a couple hours of classroom in the morning. No problem, I can do classroom. Then came the bikes....

We had the choice between Honda Titans (do they even make these any more??) or some sort of dual purpose. I could flat foot the Honda, so there's my bike for the next 2 days...

It was smooth sailing at first. We didn't actually get on the bikes for the next bit. We learned where everything was, practiced sitting on it and reaching for the controls.

[/b]First Hurdle

The bike are not even on for our first drill, we had to have someone push us and coast down the parking lot. I think I overthought the whole process and had completely psyched myself out by this point. I get on the bike, get my push and completely lose it! I am a BAWLING mess in the middle of the parking lot.... :roll:

After some very kind words from one of the instructors and a couple minutes to breathe, it's back on the bike.
Bike - 1 Me - 0 I hate to lose, the game was on! :x

We never did start the bikes in the morning. I started to enjoy the feeling of just coasting along after the push. Doing 90 degree turns with no power is interesting but can be done.

After lunch the engines were on. The trepidation was still there, but the bike was not allowed to make me cry again! It was amazing how fast we were going through the basic skills and how quickly I was picking them up.

I loved the figure 8!!! The bikes were so little you almost felt like a Shriner! I was actually able to do the 8 inside the cones. One for me!! Take that Mr. Bike!!! :mrgreen:

I was very tired at the end of the day, and I was pretty sure my left hand was stuck in the "friction zone" position! Thank God for airconditioned seats!!! My sore bottom thanked me all the way home.

When I got home, Hubby and I had a debriefing about the day. I was tired and grumpy but I did tell him, I was going back for the second day. He was very excited, but tried not too show it! :wink: All I wanted was a shower and a bed! Nobody ever mentioned how exhausting the course would be with all the emotions and sitting in 30 degree weather... Early to bed, early to rise, one more day! :shock:
'08 Suzuki M50 Yellow & Grey (she's my bumblebee)