unlike Phileas Fogg I've never kept a log:So here is my blog

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

03 SEP 2007 Sturgis return trip

#41 Unread post by slimcolo »

Still trying to catch up on entries.

About a mile before we get back to Faith my generator light comes on. 650 miles from home with no amp meter or growler. After pulling generator it is obvious. The fields have shorted out and fried. I have to order a new generator from St. Louis.

My friend asks me not to ride on the rear tyre. Seems that a small cut (about 1/16 deep and 3 inches long two days ago is now 14 inches long and down to the cords. tread is near new. (I didn't notice)So off we go in a truck to Rapid City 125 miles to get new rubber. Planed on taking bikes to threshing bee but our good luck of tyre problems keeps us out of what turned out to be the worst storm in Rapid since the 72 flood. (I 90 closed and softball size hail) And to Sturgis for the threshing bee. Great time, lots of antique tractors and EQ.

Only three bikes here all belong to the same guy. A JD (don't recall year), a 33 VL, and a 48 Pan. VL and Pan are perfect, JD is all there but an older restoration. Here they also have a Coreless hit and miss engine that was once used by the city of Spearfish to generate electricity. Huge 27 foot flywheel. 25,000+ sq. inches.

Return to Faith and install generator and tyre on bike and wait out weather for a few days. Finally weather report is good so first thing in the morning I pack up to head home. Actually get on the road around 1530. Make stops in Newell, Sturgis, and Rainbow curve, then head South toward Hill City. Just South of Hill City I get wild hair and decide to go by the faces and then over Iron Mtn. Just before dark this road is great.

When I arrive in Custer (hungry) at 2030 there are no Cafes left open. I get some sandwich stuff at local grocery just before they close at 2100. I then ride to Edgemont. (I have to stop about every 60 miles for gas, bike will go around 90 on a tank but stations seem to average around 60 apart) I make Mule Creek (just inside Wyoming) and stay at the rest area there.

Next morning the bike won't start (wish it was a XLCH) I have to short across contacts to get it to start rest of trip. (bad solenoid) Boring ride and bike runs good till Ft. Collins,CO Advance unit springs break. I manage to get new springs but advance unit is in poor shape. Should make it home if lucky. Some where between Sturgis and Denver my horn fell off.

I then stop at my Mom's in Denver for two days to visit. South of Castlerock the advance unit gives it's final fit. I have to call a friend from home to pick me up in his truck.

..........................................................................................................

Thoughts on Sportster and trip

All problems with the bike (except tyre) have been with original factory installed EQ. Nothing that I rebuilt before trip gave any problems. Bike now has 11K miles on it. (low miles for a 74)

These smaller and lighter bikes (half Harleys) are a lot better handling but will beat the crap out of you on the long haul. Sorry I installed shorter shocks on this bike as it makes cornering worse and robs much need ground clearance. (I seem to do a good job of dragging pegs on macadam and bottoming out on dirt) 150 miles on this bike and my body feels the same as 500 on a BT or BMW. (does anyone make a portable hot tub that I can pack on a bike?)

Oil consumption was around 1-1/2 quarts in about 850 miles (1 quart tranny due to leaky gasket and 1/2 engine)(according to HD these old bikes have normal consumption if they take less than a quart in 400)

Twice I got 42 MPG, but rest of time it averaged 54. Mileage is good but that 1.9 gal tank sucks! Very minimal load capacity. (in size not weight)
Bike ran OK on South Dakota ethanol (blended not E85) but it even smells like gasoline unlike the ethanol at home or in CA. (I got same mileage but SD ethanol is 2 points higher octane than their unleaded or 4 points higher than either in Colorado)

Didn't get a new helmet in time so I used my GMAX. My cheap ($40) GMAX open face seems to be more comfortable on an un faired bike than using my Nolan or Biffee mods or my HJC Police helmet.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

21 Sep 2007

#42 Unread post by slimcolo »

Can't believe I haven't written since the third. Went to look at some bikes for sale.

The first two were the same guy. 98 Dyna Super Glide and a 55 Pan. I was told that the Evo was in good shape but that the pan had the (shovel) heads off for a top end. The bikes were in Divide, about 75 miles away (half of that dirt)

Upon arrival me and a friend (interested in the Dyna, whose last bike was stolen) found the following:

Dyna in running condition except worn out tyres. Also high mileage for the year. This bike also had a lot of performance mods. In other words this bike has had the shitt ridden out of it.

Pan is in pieces. Rods were still in the cases and tranny was still all in one piece. Fenders were from a UL. Hubs were mid star juice brake. (used 68-72) Rims, spokes, and hubs were new in box. (unlaced/untrued) Guy said he had straightened frame and now it is OK. Heads were Shovel not Pan.

Both had good paper! His asking price was $8000 for Dyna, $5500 for Pan or both for $10000. We offered him $9000.

Next we went to Denver to look at a couple of Sportys. Again the same person had two for sale. One 74 and one 75. Both had good paper!

The 75 was in hardtail frame. He was unable to start it. Asking price $3500.

The 74 was slightly modified. Really rough looking. Dual Disc front end w/only one disc anyway. Mustang tank. 16 inch rear wheel. Drag Pipes (but almost as quiet as my Sporty with stock exhaust, but it may have baffles, didn't look) Mikuni carb. New tyres. (Dunstop rear, Conti front) Wiring is a mess. But it's green. (yuck) Guy said it had problem with the clutch. But it started up right away. (motor sounds healthy) He was asking $2500, got it for $2000.

After getting back to Fremont county, we try to ride but it hops out of first gear. (I think shift forks or some worn dogs) We then pull the clutch and tranny. Every bolt is just barely tight on the entire bike. I even remove the tranny sprocket with out any socket or wrench, just my fingers. Primary cover is cracked from top to bottom, except for about 1/2 inch. (but it's been fixed from inside with what looks like JB Weld) Compensating sprocket and clutch hub were also loose.

Upon pulling last bolt from trap door, tranny just seems to slide out on its own. We are being careful not to loose the bearings. (23 uncaged roller type) Main shaft and bearing race are trashed, there are NO BEARINGS. (either whole or ground up, NONE)

Between UPS and Fed Ex most of the parts arrived yesterday. Should be able to start on tranny this weekend. Besides tranny he is adding blinkers and a speedo, (neither is required in Colo) just for the rest of riding season then a tear down. (rewire, and paint)

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

22 SEP 2007

#43 Unread post by slimcolo »

Yesterday, went to the springs. Rode the slash 6.

Was doing good till I went to 7-11. While waiting for parking space I got backed into by a Buick Century. I saw the car coming but at first thought it would stop. When I realized it was not stopping, I tried to sound horn. In my panic I had my thumb on the dimmer instead of horn. (about 1/2 inch away and silent) The car only knocked me over,stopping before backing over me, no serious damage. Driver was a lady in late 70s or early 80s, who looked into her blind spot but forgot to look straight behind her.

Car ok except small scratch in bumper.

Me small quarter size bruise on knee.

Bike ok except front fender. This now has a rip half way across it about 2 inches long, with fibers sticking out. If this bike had steel fenders it would probably be just a scratch. No other damage thanks to the ammo can panniers and Flanders engine guards. HELL bike took fall no problems. Rip in fender is from where car hit it.

OH Yeah forgot to mention Starter problem on 74 Sporty turned out not to be relay or solenoid. It was just a wire end that was corroded and not always making contact. (crimp on ends that were not soldered)

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

26SEP2007

#44 Unread post by slimcolo »

Went to Pueblo for a bookkeeping class. Took the /6. It really is getting time to tune this bike. (20000 miles since I filed and re-gapped points because BMW shop didn't have any in stock) Mileage has dropped into the low 40s and it will barely do 95 topped out. And besides them tune up parts have been cluttering up my kitchen table for almost a month now.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

02 OCT 2007

#45 Unread post by slimcolo »

Just returned from Denver in the truck. (can't haul furnature on a bike) Came back on one of the back roads that I haven't been on in about 6 years. (FR211 parallel to but a few miles West of CO-67 between Deckers and Wodland Park) Used to be a good dirt ride. (ride-able on a street bike but much better on a DS)It was really weird. Riding in a forest with no trees. This was a great ride a few years ago, but now goes right through the middle of the Hamen fire area. About five years ago this was the largest forest fire in Colorado history.

You have to get on the back roads to really see the amount of destruction. The scope of the damage cannot be viewed from Co-67. The only good thing is that I spotted a few lakes that I never knew were there. (here fishey, fishey) I can also now see exactly where the streams run. Before fire they were blocked from view by trees. (one within 100 yards of major forest road) Much of this area is still closed to motor travel (except main forest roads) A lot of it is closed to "all activity" Estimated time of full recovery is between 50 and 75 years. Area will be a mud hole till new trees take hold in about 5 to 10 years.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

21 Oct 2007

#46 Unread post by slimcolo »

Been almost two weeks since my last entry! Was planning on going riding today. Last night at midnight it was almost 80F. At 0800 today it's 35F and a blizzard, first snow of the year.

Got everything fixed in the tranny of Glen's 74 Sporty. New main shaft, output seal, bearings and race. (now it stays in gear) He was set to pick it up today but not with snow, so it'll be in my shop for a few more days. Have another old friend that e mailed me and just bought a 01 Dresser. He hasn't had a bike since 92.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

01March08

#47 Unread post by slimcolo »

Well it's been a while. These blogs aren't much fun when I can no longer post pics. Not much new typical winter. Went to two swap meets Denver and springs. Good at Denver not very well at Springs.

Also picked up another bike (an 86 A-Wing with 29K) New battery and it is running. A REAL SMOKER, worse than a two stroke WTF Upon checking previous owner had changed oil and filled crankcase.(entire crankcase about 11 quarts not just the 3.8 required) Bike was actually sucking oil through PCV into carbs. Entire vent system, catch tank, and air filter were full of oil. (and I mean FULL) I drained at least 4 maybee as much as 6 quarts just to get DOWN to full level. Bike still smoked for about 30 miles before it quite. Put on almost 200 now and no more smoke. Missing mirror (now on order) and a few scratches on bag lids, some clear coat peeling, tool kit missing, some chrome cvrs missing, seat dry rotted (pan and foam good) and stereo wont work.(stereo and CB come on but no sound through speakers and I don't have headset) Carbs are still not quite right, but ok for now (we are expecting snow tomorrow so I will ride instead of doing carbs today)

Actually bought this bike for resale but I need to work out bugs first. I guess this will take 2-3K miles and about 4 months (double that if I get stereo working)

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

16 March 2008

#48 Unread post by slimcolo »

Well I.ve put about 400 miles on wing. Simple sync didn't work so I will be rebuilding or cleaning carbs soon. (one or more low speed jets seem to be clogged)

Yesterday I traded my 76 Honda 750F for a 60s 100? Yamaha, a 106SS (Sears built by Gilera looks like a Jawa) and some Dream parts. Also moved my Dad's old 61 BMW from shed to garage and will soon start on this bike. (parked in early 87) Will I restore this or just get running and ride?

I wish motorcycles would state manufacturer on data plate. Sears (Allstate) bikes were made by several different manufacturers but only said Sears and Roebuck not Puch, Henderson, Vespa, Sachs, or Gilera.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

19 March 2008

#49 Unread post by slimcolo »

Well sorta got GW stereo working still need to do carbs. Got new mirrors on.

Started on the R69S (changed all oils, took off carbs and have one in cleaner as well as the petcock, other carb tomorrow) Strange thing is the corroded carb is not the same one that had the frozen slide. Drained gas tank and this gas smells just great. (only 21 tears old) Will also start to de rust gas tank. I have pics (also some from Sturgis) but don't know how to post. (directly not url if you can tell me how PM me)

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

21 March 2008 Picture update

#50 Unread post by slimcolo »

These are pics from Sturgis that I couldn't post before
Last edited by slimcolo on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.