totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#22 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Shorts wrote:Gorgeous bike - blue and black look excellent! :photo:
Thanks so much, I'd like to take the credit for the color choice, but I can't, Andrea (my wife) said it was the "wildest colour" so it suits me over the dark red one... :laughing:
storysunfolding wrote:I'm just about to top 2,500. Maybe we can arrange another donation so I can do a side by side comparison test :mrgreen:
You'll have to wrestle my staff for that. :laughing: I'll put you in line, since I have 28 staff you'll be number 29. So, if I get 29 sets of tires, I'll let you know. :mrgreen: Hey, I didn't say no! :laughing:

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

So, I'm actively looking for a seat still for my Vstrom. But I'm sure I'll find something soon.

I'm going to make the Vstrom into more of a street bike than dirt bike so I am going towards that goal. I think it could make a very good comfortable street bike (not that it isn't so my goal should be easier to reach). I've seen magazines make the Vstrom more dirt oriented, but haven't seen any of them make it more street oriented. :D

I do enjoy riding off pavement and feel I can still do that with street tires.

Unfortunately the weather is changing here for the worse, it even snowed heavily today (but didn't stay thank goodness)! Yes, snow in May is common in Calgary, can even snow in July here! But Sunday/Monday is shaping up to look nice. :D

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#24 Unread post by NorthernPete »

you should see if theres any seat companies willing to send you some seats to be reviewed... :laughing:

Very snazzy bike Mike, grats on it, and enjoy!!!!
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

NorthernPete wrote:you should see if theres any seat companies willing to send you some seats to be reviewed... :laughing:

Very snazzy bike Mike, grats on it, and enjoy!!!!
That would be nice indeed. I've called the local dealerships about the Suzuki gel seat and none of them have them in stock. I can understand not having other accessories in stock, but ordering a seat without sitting on it first to see if it works for you or hot... :humm:

Thanks for the complements on the bike!

Mike

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#26 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Congrats on the bike! I'm a fan of the V-Stroms. As far as the rear brake, you could try using a stainless steel line, and then giving them a good bleed (which you have to do when you change lines anyway). That should give you better feedback, at least.

If the brake can lock up the rear tire, it is definitely strong enough, it just doesn't have the feedback to let you know it is.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

DivideOverflow wrote:Congrats on the bike! I'm a fan of the V-Stroms. As far as the rear brake, you could try using a stainless steel line, and then giving them a good bleed (which you have to do when you change lines anyway). That should give you better feedback, at least.

If the brake can lock up the rear tire, it is definitely strong enough, it just doesn't have the feedback to let you know it is.
I'll look into that. The rear brake doesn't have a lot of feel forsure. And yes, I've locked it up (on purpose) on dirt alleys for fun. :D On the street, it would be nicer to have a better feel to it like the great front brakes do.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

After doing some more riding on the weekend, I'm still very impressed with the torque the 650 V-Twin produces. Right now I'm still in the "under 5000k rpm" break-in period so it's lots of short shifting, but it's definitely fun. The power starts to really come on at 4,000 rpm-5,000rpm so I'm looking forward to higher rpm's.

Still using the Monotune break-in method as much as possible.

On a side note, was stuck in heavy traffic (2-5km) for 20 minutes and the power/torque on tap doesn't seem to be any less if your riding two-up or solo. The DL650 handles two-up riding very well, although, it is a touch harder two up on the DL650 due to it's height.

Also what a huge difference in ride quality over 25 years, the 2007 feels much substantial as a motorcycle than my 82 Seca.

DL650 represents excellent value no doubt.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I ordered the Suzuki Gel Seat today from Parts Depot as they are having a really good special on it ($135.96 US). I checked all our Total Motorcycle affiliate stores first, but they didn't carry it unfortunately. I also checked eBay, but this price even beats the best eBay prices ($145 on eBay) so I thought, what the heck, I REALLY need a better seat for me on the Vstrom. Hopefully Canadian customs doesn't nail me too much on the duties and taxes.

BTW, the same seat in Canada (best price I could find) is $264 Canadian at Mountain Toys in Cochrane, Alberta.

For those interested in where I ordered it from... BTW, I've never order from them before so before you order wait for me to get it and review how they did, just in case, ok? :)

http://www.partsdepotstore.com/eshoppro ... 000650.htm

Gel Seat - DL1000/650
Built for the demands of long hours in the saddle, the V-Storm Gel Seat has been extensively tested, designed and built in the USA. Features a lower, reshaped and more contoured design with a textured cover over a gel insert in the rider's area for superior comfort.
Part Number: 99950-62186

This is the best image I could find of it:

Suzuki V-strom Gel Seat

Suzuki V-strom Gel Seat

Unfortunately after hours of searching and reading the very little that's out there on the Suzuki V-strom Gel Seat there just isn't much at all other than people like it. So when I get it I'll do a review and compario versus the Suzuki Vstrom Stock seat and side by side photos too. That should help others decide it this is for them or not.

Mike

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#30 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

So far since owned I'm discovering how overall useful the bike is. It's great at doing so much things as the engine is torquey enough and its definitely built with putting lots of miles behind you on the open roads.

I did some really rough gravel roads and it's not really as home on them as I thought it would be as it's tall and the tires don't track great. The stock 80/20 tires are great on pavement, but I don't see them as confidence inspiring as I'd like for a new rider riding rough gravel. For an experienced rider they are "ok", but dirt/fire roads would be much better suited to this bike and to the stock tires.

Overall, I'm still going with the "pure street" Vstrom version and waiting for the new Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tires to arrive. It really shines as an all purpose road touring bike and will more so once the Gel seat arrives too.

The stock seat for a tall guy like me is "butt numbing" after an hour or two on the highway and torture for in town riding your pants always ride up due to the below average design of the seat that causes the sliding back and forth.

Suzuki could definitely do much better in the seat design department for the Vstrom 650 and I'm disappointed they didn't take the time to do that for a bike designed and with so much potential to travel very far.

Mike