The Norton Files (Disconnected Jottings of an English Man)

What color should the frame be?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:49 pm

RED
29%
BLACK
29%
OTHER
43%

Total votes: 7

Mat_the_bike
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

The Norton Files (Disconnected Jottings of an English Man)

#1 Unread post by Mat_the_bike »

Building a Norton Atlas

2003 The beginnings

I was talking to a friend of mine at work just after Christmas in 2003. I had just finished digesting a copy of either

The Classic Motorcycle
Or
The Classic Bike

I do not remember which without looking in my extensive archives, but, there was a great article on a Triton. It did look really nice, so I started doing research on Norton Featherbed frames. Well, I was hooked and had to have one.

So there I was talking to Terry about Norton’s, wideline frames, slimline frames, engines gearboxes. I suppose I was a little carried away. Anyway, a day later, some photos from Terry appeared in my e-mail. His buddy who lived just down the road from him had a 1963 Atlas that he needed to dispose of. So $800 later; 1 trailer, and a complete Saturday this wreck of a bike took up residence in my garage.

Well this is what I ended up with. It did include quite a few more parts; two fuel tanks, front rear mudguards, headlight, two new pistons and con rods, tank badges (a rarity), and a seat. No exhaust system and of course, plenty of rust.

ImageImage

Well, time to get busy. I could see all the part that were there or missing, and everything sort of fitted together. I poured Automatic Transmission Fluid down the spark plug holes and left it to soak for an hour. Well, I could turn the engine over, but if you look closely at the photographs above, no wiring at all. So I was not going to be able to start it.

I determined the best course of action would be to strip everything to component parts, paint, refurbish, purchase and rebuild. I removed the back wheel, most of the ancillary parts around the engine a gearbox and then stopped.

I stopped for about 3 years.

Other things came along

Summer 2003

Restored a 1969 441 Victor for a buddy of mine, made a nice job of it although it was a bastrd to kick over.
You could pull some tremendous wheelies with it, did not matter which gear. I even fell off the bloody thing once. Thanks for the pleasure Al

2004 and 2005

My neighbor had 2 rather sad motor cycles sitting on his drive; he wanted $300 for both.
One turned out to be a GS850G, 1980, with less than 2000 recorded miles.
The other was a Nighthawk 550 Honda 4 cylinder from 1983
Both were complete.
I restored the GS850 in time for the summer of 2005, and have had a great time riding it.

The Nighthawk proved more of a challenge, and although complete and running, still needs some more work and a paint job.

January 2006

Ok the objective! I want one of these except with my own spin on the whole plot.
This is a rough specification of what I am going to build.

I have three functional objectives:
• Reliable
• Fun to ride (quickly)
• Look great

Cycle parts

• Frame
o The Norton Featherbed frame; I am tempted to paint this red to make it stand out; it is a great looking frame as well as a great handling frame.
• Swinging arm
o Either the standard swinging arm that came with the frame, but I am tempted by the box swing arm that Dave Degens manufactures and sells
• Front end
o I would really like twin disk stoppers on the front end, so this is an open item that needs more thought and research at this time. It has been suggested by Dave Degens that the way to go is use the Roadholder stanchions, Roadholder damping arrangement and triple tree, and use the T140 sliders which I can fit a T140 front wheel and twin disks. Another alternative I am also thinking of using is a set of really modern upside down forks with twin disks (Ducati ST2 may do the trick).
• Wheels
o 17” front 18”rear, as wide as possible, spoke alloy rims.
• Tank
o Alloy tank 5 imperial galls
• Seat
o Racing Seat
• Driver controls
o Rear sets
oClip ons
Engine and box
• Engine
o T110 650cc, with all the modifications that are possible.
o Cams should be low state of tune.
o Twin carburetors.
o Stainless steel fasteners
• Transmission
o Belt drive, probably a Haywood
oGearbox
 I was going to use the standard Atlas gearbox, but again Dave Degens advised a T110 unit, which if I can find one has the possibility of fitting a 5 speed cluster to it. So I need to find one of these.
o Gearing
 Need to investigate what is the right combination for relatively good acceleration, but at the same time being able to sustain a comfortable 70mph without shaking my kidneys apart.

Electrics

• High output alternator
• Solid state rectifier
• Hall effect ignition system (no points on this baby)
• Hi intensity front headlamp
• Hi intensity rear brake and stop lamp
• Indicators
• Japanese controls

Miscellaneous

• Well, there is probably tons of stuff not yet considered

So on with the project.

Step one: frame.

This is what it looks like before restoration
So next week it is off to the sand blasters, followed bt the powder coaters.
However, here is the big question. What color. As I said, I am favoring red, as close to Ferrari Red as possible. This is a good looking frame, and needs to be highlighted.
Now I am willing to run the risk of a poll, 3 options, RED; BLACK or OTHER. If the polling is successful, I may try this to see what other options carry favor amongst the motorcycling faternity.
Mat_the_bike

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#2 Unread post by VermilionX »

i voted "other"... the frame should be crimson. :D

good luck w/ the project.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Seca Girl
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by Seca Girl »

Yellow!

I don't know how powder coating treats reds. Make sure to get some samples done first.
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca

rapidblue
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#4 Unread post by rapidblue »

The thing about powdercoating is that no two batches are exactly the same. It you have 5 pieces that need to be red, get them done all at once or you'll probably have a slight color difference.
80 honda CB750F Super Sport

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#5 Unread post by NorthernPete »

The Crimson Rider® wrote:i voted "other"... the frame should be crimson. :D

good luck w/ the project.
Crimson is red.... or at least a shade of it...those I refuse to aknowledge those yuppy colours like Mauve, Azure and what not..if its not on that colour triangle I dont believe its a colour *LOL*

those old bikes....they need to be black, just looks right on them.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F