Wretched XS

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: Wretched XS

#281 Unread post by ceemes »

It's amazing how much crap and junk we accumulate over the years isn't it?

As for movers. Be careful and closely vet any you look to hirer. I use to manage a moving company and can honestly say that they can be the biggest and nastiest rip off artist going. In all truth, movers are really the bottom end of the transportation industry. I recommend if you do use one, go with a larger national service, one that has a long history, is accredited with your local BBB, and has a good history of service. It will cost you more in coin, but less in grief and misery.
Always ask why.

noodlenoggin
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1995 Ford Thunderbird =-(

#282 Unread post by noodlenoggin »

@ceemes, good advice there. We're really thinking of this service: http://www.upack.com/bike/ It's offered by ABF, which is a fairly large company.

---

Went out last night, saw a couple of guys out riding together. Unlikely pair -- a stretched, lowered Hayabusa drag-bike and a wide-tired Victory cruiser of some sort..
1979 XS650F -- "Hi, My name's Nick, and I'm a Motorcyclist. I've been dry for four years." (Everybody: "Hi, Nick.")

noodlenoggin
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#283 Unread post by noodlenoggin »

Sigh...

I'm 1,400 miles away from my Yamaha. I've never been this far away from it since I bought it in 1993. :kickcan:

And...the way expenses keep sucking our money -- kids back to school, utility startups, car repairs (x2), the house in Michigan, the house here in Florida, and so on and SO ON -- I don't see us bringing it down here anytime soon. :crybaby:
1979 XS650F -- "Hi, My name's Nick, and I'm a Motorcyclist. I've been dry for four years." (Everybody: "Hi, Nick.")

noodlenoggin
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#284 Unread post by noodlenoggin »

Hello.

Not dead yet. Still around. Still 1,400 miles from the Yamaha -- it's sitting in the in-laws' barn, with the rest of our stuff that didn't fit in the moving van. So, it'd cost more than a grand to rent a truck and bring that stuff (and the bike) down. I had the thought of just have my MIL sell the bike up there, and using the $ to buy another down here. But...I couldn't sell the bike up there for enough to buy one in similar condition down here, because bikes are more expensive down here.. If we could bring it down, I could...but then I'd have it down here and the point would be moot. My wife asked if I could get a bike down here for what I could sell my bike for...AND the cost of the moving van, and that's an interesting possibility.

Meanwhile, I transferred my license from Michigan to Florida, and I kept the cycle endorsement, so I haven't given up yet.

In the meantime, our Volvo finally racked up too many repairs to be worth fixing, and we donated it to charity with 226,000 miles on it. Meet my new ride:

It's a '95 T-Bird with a V8 and 80,000 miles on it that we got with our tax refund. I like it; it's kind of engaging to drive; we didn't have to take out a loan.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#285 Unread post by NorthernPete »

You've probably thought of this, but have your inlaws keep their ears peeled for anyone going on a road trip that may be willing to trailer it down. If your wife brought up the truck cash plus sale price, I'd snap that up. Lol. A sitting bike looses value each year and is harder and harder to get on the road unfortunately. Plenty of deals to be had out there.
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F