The ramblings of mgdavis

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#81 Unread post by mgdavis »

The gal called me back last night about the CB. She said her friend was able to find shock assemblies that were 2" shorter than stock. Now her boyfriend has decided that she's going to die if she gets it, and is going to make her ride his 650 something or other this weekend. She's supposed to call me this weekend with a decision.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#82 Unread post by mgdavis »

Couple Bike related things happened the last few days.

Wednesday:
I got going pretty early in the morning, stopped by the dealership at 9:05. Scheduled my 600mi service, they're not able to fit me in till the 28th. I had 514 miles on the odometer at this point. I also ordered the OEM hand guards. They totaled out to about $48.

I decided that I wanted to go for a bit of a ride. (Locations given if anyone feels like pulling up a map) I started in Gorst, Wa at Cliff's Cycle Center. I headed toward Belfair on the Old Belfair Highway. I kept going through Belfair and headed down E State Route 106, AKA Southshore Rd.
It was very pretty, the skies were clear and the water was calm. The Olympic Mountains were very prominent in the background. The entire ride I was kicking myself for failing to bring a camera. The area is so nice that Bill Gates actually has property on the waterfront in that area.
I had to stop for gas near Union, I filled the tank with 4.04 gal regular unleaded after 256.6 miles. That means I was getting just better than 61mpg! On the way to the gas station I passed Gerbing's Heated Clothing. I've heard about them before, I'm definitely going to check them out now that I know where they're located.
After fueling I headed back for E SR 106. I followed that to its south terminus, and took a right onto N US-101. I made a quick pit-stop at Potlatch State Park soon after. While I was getting back on the bike there I happened to overhear a gentleman talking to 911 dispatch on his cell phone. He caught my attention by saying "He must have been drunk or something". When he completed his call I politely asked him what was going on. He told me that they had almost got in a head-on collision with a VW campervan that had been occupying both lanes at once. He indicated that the van had been headed north, same as me. Luckily I never caught up with the individual.
From there I continued north. I passed through the small town of Hoodsport. After that the road got very entertaining, it's essentially a two-lane beach road that follows the contours of the shore. The speed limits were 40-50 mph, I was behind a maniac in a white minivan who was going fast enough to keep things interesting. I can't begin to describe how beautiful this stretch of road is, all the way north to Brinnon it stayed spectacular. I highly recommend you go ride this road if you're in the area.
There is one particularly entertaining curve between Triton and Duckabush, there was a sight and flashing light warning you to slow down to 25mph, then the road just dropped away to the left, followed by a sweeping right. It can be seen very clearly on Google Maps just south of Yashi Rd. I think I was going 30-35 mph through it, and that was fast enough to make things interesting for a newb like me.
After Brinnon the scenery changed, you go through the outskirts of foothills of the Olympic Mountains. It is very pretty, though not as fun as the previous segment of road. This continues till you get to Quilcene.
Quilcene is a small town, if you go through I recommend a stop a the store, Peninsula Foods if I recall correctly. They boast giant ice cream cones. There are also a few restaurants, I've never eaten at any of them, but they look very nice. I didn't make any stops this time, just continued through on US-101.
North of Quilcene things got a bit boring, the road is relatively straight and flattish. I'd also started getting a bit sore at this point, I spent a few minutes sitting on the passenger seat to stretch my knees out.
There wasn't to much else special after this point. I got onto Highway 20 at Discovery Bay, then took a right onto 19 at Four Corners. I followed 19 until it ended, then took a left on 104. I followed 104 over the Hood Canal Bridge and headed home.
It was around 150 miles of riding that day, my longest day on a bike thus far. I'm going to look into a throttle rocker at some point, my right wrist was getting rather stiff by the end of the day. The Strom handled the ride wonderfully, I can't wait to go on some more longer rides. Next I think I'm going to head all the way around the Olympic Peninsula.
Sorry about the long narrative, it probably should have gone in its own post. I'll take a camera next time, pictures might make the long post more entertaining.

Friday: Payday. I headed back to Cliff's (dealership) to find a tailbag. I wound up with a Dowco "Rally Pack Deluxe Series Tail Bag". It's not the best piece of gear out there, but it'll work till I get a Givi set-up. I do have to say that the girl working the floor in was super helpful in helping me find something that met my needs, and helping figure out how to attach the bag to my rack (it's really supposed to go on the passenger seat). I also got a don't-shoot-me-orange Icon Mil-Spec vest. I plan on riding out to McChord for my next UTA, and I need a contrasting-colored reflective vest to get on-base.

I'm at 720 miles or so now, rather overdue for my service. I'm not overly worried as I changed the oil awhile ago. I just hope they don't make an issue over it if I need to have warranty work done.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: The Tailbag

#83 Unread post by mgdavis »

It's a PITA to get my leg over the bike when I've got that bag up there on the rack. I just don't bend that way. It's even worse when it's expanded.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#84 Unread post by mgdavis »

Picked up my handguards this morning. I'll probably get them on the bike Friday. Got to go in for the 600 mile service tomorrow morning.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#85 Unread post by mgdavis »

My 600 miles service was done this morning. There were about 850 miles showing on the odometer when I rolled into the parking lot today :oops: . Oil change, check bolts, lube/adjust chain. $220.88 OTD. Took 1 hr 15 min.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#86 Unread post by mgdavis »

My girlfriend got a helmet and overpants today, also ordered a jacket. Now I get to take her with on weekends. I'm a bit nervous, never rode with a pillion before.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#87 Unread post by Flesher »

First time I rode with my wife on the back I was a little nervous too, in fact I had her meet me in a parking lot cause she was a little apprehensive about turns. Well I went out of my way to be smooth on acceleration, braking, and shifting. after A few complete 360 deg turns I asked my wife how she was doing and she said great.

I pulled out of the lot and we went to my sister's house, I continued with the smooth on everything approach. To be honest, except for feeling a little more crowded, I didn't even know she was there. She was a great passenger.

You'll do fine too, I'm sure of it. Just give her a few signals in case she wants you to stop or slow down ( I told my wife to tap me with both hands on the hips to stop, and one hand to slow down). Good luck and enjoy.

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#88 Unread post by mgdavis »

Thanks Flesher, I'm going to steal your signals.

The GF got Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants, and Scorpion EXO 400 helmet. She ordered a 2/3 length jacket and a pair of gloves. I forgot to tell her to get boots, she thinks I'm going to let her ride in Converse.

I got my handguards installed this morning. They fit perfectly, kinda funny since the catalog specifically stated that they wouldn't fit a K7 DL650. It took me 50 minutes to get them put together, I could do it much quicker next time. They seem solid, and they definitely push wind away from my fingers.
My one gripe is that the bottom nut on clutch pivot tightens on a couple plastic fingers. I couldn't see real well, and the instructions weren't real specific, so I managed to squish the plastic and deform it a little bit. I don't think it's going to affect much, however.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#89 Unread post by Shorts »

Sounds like you two will have fun. The first time that I rode with DH, I followed him in my truck to a big parking lot. And he practiced manuevers with me on the back to get the feel before we ventured outto the streets. It was a good warmup.

Definitely use some hand signals, they will come in handy especially at speed without comm units. Not to mention, for 'close calls' or things that DH may not have seen and I do (traffic, the jerk that pulled out, etc etc).

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#90 Unread post by mgdavis »

Went out for our first two-up ride last night. We enjoyed ourselves. If we do this much a com unit would be nice. I could mostly hear her, but she couldn't hear me. The Strom handled it fine. She had a bit of trouble getting on, that passenger seat is tall. She also said the vibrations started to make her feet go numb after a bit. I did get headbutted quite a bit. Other than that, every went well.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
Molon Labe!!!