from 1000 to 750...

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#361 Unread post by VermilionX »

CNF2002 wrote:Question is, how are you going to learn the right way to adjust it if you won't try? Experiment. That's how you learn.
i will try but not until i get a better idea of how each adjustments affects the bike.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#362 Unread post by Shorts »

Verm, adjust it yourself. It isnt rocket science and you're being a chicken. Don't worry, you won't screw it up.

You do not have to know "how much" to adjust it. That's the beauty of it being "adjustable". You can change it around any which way you want.

Turn it one way and see how it rides. If its too stiff, turn it the other way to soften it. Duh.

Oh yeah, you can adjust it each time as much or as little as you want. You just put the wrench on the nut and give it a twist in one direction or the other.

Do you need a vid clip or someone to walk you through it?

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#363 Unread post by VermilionX »

Shorts wrote:Verm, adjust it yourself. It isnt rocket science and you're being a chicken. Don't worry, you won't screw it up.

You do not have to know "how much" to adjust it. That's the beauty of it being "adjustable". You can change it around any which way you want.

Turn it one way and see how it rides. If its too stiff, turn it the other way to soften it. Duh.

Oh yeah, you can adjust it each time as much or as little as you want. You just put the wrench on the nut and give it a twist in one direction or the other.

Do you need a vid clip or someone to walk you through it?
i understand soft and stiff.

but what i don't understand are the more complicated ones...

like when the bike turns better at left, when the front is wobbly at accelerating coming out of a turn, when im losing front wheel feel at certain times, when the bike is drifting at certain turns, etc.

how should i adjust it for those? plus i also have to figure out if it's my error or if it's just natural based on the how the corner is as well.

seems pretty complicated right now but i guess i just have to get more exp.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#364 Unread post by VermilionX »

10/6/06

my jardine GP1 slip-on is here!

:D

it doesn't look much but it should do the job...

tomorrow i'll have it installed and i will post pics of it w/ the bike and maybe get some sound clips.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#365 Unread post by JCS »

Install it yourself. You have the parts and instructions. If you can't figure out how to get the old one off, look in the shop manual. You did get a shop manual, right? Just make sure to replace the gasket where the slip-on attaches, if there is one. This shouldn't take you more than an hour or so.

As to your suspension adjustments, do it yourself. Make good notes on where it is set now. This will be your baseline. Change ONE thing. Make notes of what you changed and how much. Go ride it and try it out and see how it feels. Use this process to arrive at your new settings. With your notes you can always put it back if you don't like it. If you feel you have to have the tool for the shock, go get one. You may need two to deal with the lock ring. These are readily available from Suzuki or aftermarket.

Also remember that a change at the rear can make the front feel different.

The idea you had to just update the rear and not the front was not a good one. If you do end up going for a new shock have the front done along with it. I know you have backed off this idea for a while. You are a long way from needing to do this.

You seem very subdued from your track day. My guess is that you learned some things about you riding that did not please you. Don't feel alone. That happens to everyone. Use what you learned. The track is the place to go fast and explore your limits and skills. The streets and canyons are NOT the place to do this.

Now for the question that everyone wants to know about but no one has asked.

Did you get your knee down at the track?
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#366 Unread post by VermilionX »

JCS wrote: The idea you had to just update the rear and not the front was not a good one. If you do end up going for a new shock have the front done along with it. I know you have backed off this idea for a while. You are a long way from needing to do this.

You seem very subdued from your track day. My guess is that you learned some things about you riding that did not please you. Don't feel alone. That happens to everyone. Use what you learned. The track is the place to go fast and explore your limits and skills. The streets and canyons are NOT the place to do this.

Now for the question that everyone wants to know about but no one has asked.

Did you get your knee down at the track?
i did plan to upgrade both. the $1700 upgrade plan includes both front and rear. front will have re-valving, re-spring, piston kit, and even w/ a cartridge mod using GP suspension components. the rear will have a brand new penske shock for people under 140lbs.

and nope, i didn't get a knee down. i still have some chicken strips... :cry:

damn! i suck! it's already 8 months now and i still haven't gotten rid of chicken strips and dragged knees. :cry:
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

CNF2002
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver

#367 Unread post by CNF2002 »

Why do the sides of your tire look all shredded up like that?
2002 Buell Blast 500 /¦\
[url=http://www.putfile.com][img]http://x10.putfile.com/3/8221543225.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=11790]Confessions of a Commuter[/url]

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#368 Unread post by VermilionX »

CNF2002 wrote:Why do the sides of your tire look all shredded up like that?
it's from the race track.
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000

#369 Unread post by VermilionX »

10/7/06

new jardine pipe!

the stock is so heavy compared to the jardine. the stock probably weighs 15lbs and the jardine only weighs like 3 or 4lbs.

it's so much louder. my mirrors are vibrating when i rev it. :smoke:

im gonna need earplugs even if im only riding streets.

i like the way it looks actually now that it's on the bike.

here's short vid clip and pics of it... http://media.putfile.com/new-jardine

Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#370 Unread post by Mintbread »