Trapped Inside : Dreaming of Adventure

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Sex: Male

#121 Unread post by -Holiday »

I made a movie of the pics from my trip. The song is one I had in my head much of the trip. This is my first every try at movie editing, and its far from perfect, but, uhh, I had fun doing it!

http://www.brian-payne.com/trip/proj1_0001.wmv
Last edited by -Holiday on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s
Vespa Rally 200 in pieces

[img]http://www.brian-payne.com/bikes/VisitedStatesMap.jpg[/img]

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#122 Unread post by -Holiday »

Got some new gear.

FirstGear Jaunt Textile Jacket

Nolan N102 Motorcycle Helmet, Flip-Up

I've had the jacket for a week and I love it. The damn helmet was ordered two weeks ago and hasnt shown up yet....
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#123 Unread post by -Holiday »

Wow.

Just checked, I picked up my Bandit August 24th, so I've had it about 6 weeks and i've already put 2300 miles on it.

Those sure have been some fun miles though.

I'm also loving the Nolan helmet and my firstGear Jacket. I love the modular part of the helmet, but I have to say its a bit louder then your normal non flip helmet. I try to wear earplugs whenever I'm riding more then across town, so that cures that problem. I'd definatly recommed the helmet, especially at under $250. The build quality is very good, its vented well, its light, and the extra sun visor shield really helps out, even if you already wear sunglasses while riding like me.

Same goes the the jacket. Made very well. Almost too toasty with the liner in it so far. The coldest I've had it in is probably 50 degrees. With a few layers i dont see why i couldnt ride through the winter with it.

Other news:
I'm taking the MSF Advanced Riders course this saturday. its an 8 hour course, aside from that I dont really know much about it. I'll give a report on it afterwards.

Trips:

I'll be doing a 600 mile round trip from Philly to upstate New York for a wedding the weekend of October 15th. I'll be doing it solo. It should be a blast.

I'm already in the beginning planning stages of a big trip next year. 4,500 miles....Philadelphia PA to Anchorage Alaska. At this point I dont have dates or logistics set yet, I just know where I want to go. There will be more on this later.

Guess thats it for now, just thought I'd give a little update as to whats going on.

Later
Last edited by -Holiday on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#124 Unread post by jstark47 »

-Holiday wrote:I'm already in the beginning planning stages of a big trip next year. 4,500 miles....Philadelphia PA to Anchorage Alaska.
Ever read Karen Larsen's book "Breaking the Limit" ? It's the story of a cross-continent trip she took in 2000 on a Sportster from NJ to Alaska and back. She managed to cover 14,000 miles -- must have detoured a lot. It's a good yarn, and might give you some ideas of places you want to hit on your trip. I remember she tells some hair-raising stories of road conditions up in the Yukon.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#125 Unread post by -Holiday »

I havent really had any motorcycle related news for a while, so this blog has been kinda neglected.

But I'm happy to report now that I signed up to become a PA MSF course RiderCoach, and my application was officially accepted last night. I'll be starting the 70 hour training program in mid March. In the meantime I have to get first aid and cpr certified.

I'll post some more updates as it gets closer, and hopefully be able to give some info about the class once I'm in it.

In other news, myself and another memeber of this forum are inthe early planning stages of a Motorcycle trip to Halifax Nova scotia, which is set to happen in late May of this year. I should have more on that later as well.

Well, that's all I have right now, except to say that I can't wait until spring rolls around!
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#126 Unread post by -Holiday »

Captain's Log, Stardate 54324.5:

--I've.....got new tires on my bike as of This past Saturday. Pirelli Diablo's.

--took the bike out afterwards to run errands in the 55 degree weather. First time in a few months on the bike. put 50 miles or so on the bike.

--The creature is still at large on the planet's surface.

--now its back down to 27 degrees. This is bad.

--I have ordered the landing party transported back to the ship.

--Still need to do the fork seals because the left side is leaking pretty badly. Got the parts ordered. Will I do the work myself or will I take it to the shop?

--only time will tell.

Captain Brian T. Payne, of the United Federation of Suzuki, Captain of the Starship Bandit, recording.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#127 Unread post by -Holiday »

Captain's Log, Stardate 54324.6:

Reason's why I CANT ride today:

-it's cold today. Very cold. Too cold to ride with no heated gear. 18 degrees.

- it's also windy. very windy. dont want to get blown over.

- my cat. she's very sick. so sick in fact i might have to rush home and take care of her. couldnt do that if i was on the bike. takes too long to put gear on.

-it's tuesday. cant ride the first tuesday of march. old family tradition.

- my dog ate my.....helmet.

hopefully soon my luck will change and i'll be able to have more pertinent, motorcycle related information for you. Until then..

Captain Brian T. Payne, of the United Federation of Heated Jeep Seats, Captain of the Starship Cherokee, recording.
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s

jeffsen
Rookie
Rookie

Yes, it is cold here

#128 Unread post by jeffsen »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but.. we are in for snow tomorrow. As stupid as it may sound, I did ride today (and I'm in Philly). I've got about a 20 mile commute from S. Philly to Plymouth Meeting. 40mph gusts were a little crazy and sub-zero wind chills are no walk in the park either.

I was out riding Saturday as well. Mother nature has a cruel sense of humor, tempting us with springlike weather and then walloping us two days later with this hell freeze.

Hoping for more warm days to cruise down Kelly Drive.
2004 Buell Blast

-Holiday
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#129 Unread post by -Holiday »

So, all in all I was able to get 300 miles of riding in this weekend.

Friday after work it was about 38 degrees out, but clear, so I took a jaunt around the back roads of Chester County PA. Not far from West Chester, and Kennet Square, the mushroom capital of the world :).

As you can see, there was still some snow around, on the roads in some spots that doesnt see sun.

with no heated gear it was kinda cold, but bearable.

Saturday I woke up to find I had received an email from one of my friends from the scooter group in the city. He was asking me if I wanted to accompany him and several other people on a ride from Philadelphia to Atlantic City New Jersey for lunch. I realized he'd sent the email the night before and they were meeting in 45 minutes, which was almost exactly how long it took me to get to the city.

I arrived at the meeting location (just down the street from Independence Hall in downtown Philly) to find there were 6 or 7 other riders waiting for me.

it was a scooter group after all, but there was only 3 scoots, including this vespa with soft givi bags and a skirt for cold weather:

we also had a 250cc Honda Rukus which surprising kept up on the highway at about 70 miles per hour:

in the group also was an 83 BMW 650:

and a few other bikes that I didnt get pics of , including a mid 80's Goldwing. It was a pretty diverse group :)

It was actually a pretty boring ride since we just took the AC expressway, but it was nice to socialize with other riders for the first time in a while. The weather got up into the mid 50's but it was windy.

We basically pulled into town , grabbed some food, I snapped a few pics, and we left. I decided I was in a bit of a hurry on the way home so I left the group and took off down the road.

On sunday I also put some miles on the bike running errands in Delaware (that state that is not Texas). All in all it was a great weekend for riding. It felt so nice to be back on two wheels again. SPRING IS COMING!
2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#130 Unread post by jstark47 »

-Holiday wrote:we also had a 250cc Honda Rukus which surprising kept up on the highway at about 70 miles per hour
Not surprising. It's basically a Reflex without the fairings. Reflexes do 70 on the level (so long as the rider doesn't weigh 300 lbs :lol: )
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S