kalbyl
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Nothing

Good beginner motorcycle ?

#1 Unread post by kalbyl »

So I have been looking at different motorcycles as I’m taking my A2 license and I have a hard time actually choosing what bike is the best for me, does anyone have suggestions for bikes that can be driven on an A2 license (max 47bhp/35kw)? For example have I been pretty interested in the Honda shadow 750 as I have some love for cruisers, but I can be flexible in taste. :D

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: Good beginner motorcycle ?

#2 Unread post by blues2cruise »

You might also like the Yamaha 650 V-Star.

kalbyl
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Nothing

#3 Unread post by kalbyl »

blues2cruise wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:39 am You might also like the Yamaha 650 V-Star.
Well it is quite a good looking bike, tho the v-star generally feels a bit slower and more unreliable than the shadow, maybe the Kawasaki w800 could be something? The rebel also seems a bit slow, I still want to be able to go for longer rides and so on.

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#4 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

Vulcan S 650 is another strong contender in this category. They use the same 650cc parallel twin motor as in the NInja 650, so they have a lot more power than your typical 650 cruiser. Not sure if they meet the licensing requirement for horsepower but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

aaronhooker
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: N/A

#5 Unread post by aaronhooker »

Yamaha YZF R6 600 is good.

Rudolph
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: BMW

#6 Unread post by Rudolph »

JackoftheGreen wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:26 am Vulcan S 650 is another strong contender in this category. They use the same 650cc parallel twin motor as in the NInja 650, so they have a lot more power than your typical 650 cruiser. Not sure if they meet the licensing requirement for horsepower but I'd be surprised if they didn't.
Thanks for the information, keep sharing this type of info.

KayBur
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: JAWA 350 OHC Prima

#7 Unread post by KayBur »

Of all the beginner bikes mentioned in the thread, I would go for the Yamaha 650 V-Star. Maybe I'm just more familiar with the Yamaha lineup than with bikes from other manufacturers, but that's not a reason not to like these bikes.

Steubers
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: BMW

#8 Unread post by Steubers »

Hi friends! Writing this before going off to work, maybe when I come back by the end of the day I get 1 or 2 responses.

This is definitely my first place of consideration to start asking for a few questions, TMW never let me down on any topics...so...I really want to get into motorcycles this summer and continue throughout my life and I have no idea where to start....

I'm thinking about taking motorcycle 2week new rider course it's around 250$ where I live and should be a great way to understand how they work. But now picking out a bike there are so many that I just get lost.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#9 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Steubers wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:41 pm Hi friends! Writing this before going off to work, maybe when I come back by the end of the day I get 1 or 2 responses.

This is definitely my first place of consideration to start asking for a few questions, TMW never let me down on any topics...so...I really want to get into motorcycles this summer and continue throughout my life and I have no idea where to start....

I'm thinking about taking motorcycle 2week new rider course it's around 250$ where I live and should be a great way to understand how they work. But now picking out a bike there are so many that I just get lost.
Do you have any idea of the style of bike you want? Sport bike? Standard? Cruiser? Dual Sport? They all have different riding positions.

Harris78
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: ninja

#10 Unread post by Harris78 »

The Kawasaki Z125 Pro SE I is a recent addition to the Kawasaki New Rider Endorsed lineup. The Z125 is a good motorcycle for weekend riding or daily commuting. It’s not too heavy to handle and the 125cc engine doesn’t have too much power to accommodate a beginner. One thing it doesn’t have is a front fairing, so you will feel a little more wind as you ride on your daily commute or weekend fun.